• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vinyl close up!!

Register to hide this ad
Every time I see those magnified pictures of vinyl, I am AMAZED that we can spin it at a fixed RPM, run a diamond stylus over it, and produce the sound that we expect and enjoy (over and over)!
 
A testament to human ingenuity; definitely one of those inventions future generations will look back on and marvel.
 
How do they do it? how do they cut a piece of plastic to such fine precision?....digital's simple...on off on off.......that's easy.....a record however is a beautiful piece of Engineering....
 
The 3D is kool, too. I still don't get how the left and right channels get separated with the stylus touching both sides of the groove at teh same time.:scratch2:
 
I'd be interested in seeing 1000X shots of the stylus in the groove. The contact points is where the action is.
 
The 3D is kool, too. I still don't get how the left and right channels get separated with the stylus touching both sides of the groove at teh same time.:scratch2:

Some expert chime in to correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the separation is created by stylus motion in one plane and volume by displacement in the other.

It is an incredibly complex dance.
 
Well played sir.:D

Thank you. BTW was your avatar's subject found in the Grand Canyon?
image.php
 
Some expert chime in to correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the separation is created by stylus motion in one plane and volume by displacement in the other.

The stylus moves at a 45 degree angle in one direction for one channel and the other direction for the other channel. If it is moving in the direction to induce current in the coil for one channel, it is moving at a right angle to the other channels coil and will induce very little current.

A mono recording, where both sides of the groove are the same modulation, will have stylus movement with a 45 degree component in both directions, inducing current in both coils.

(A few pictures / drawings would make this much clearer.)

Try this link. It is actually the recording cutter but the idea is the same.

http://www.google.com/imgres?sa=X&b...BwwCA&iact=rc&dur=7540&page=1&start=0&ndsp=27
 
Here is a 3d image that was linked in the comments section of the article.

Size the image on your screen so you can form a third equally sized image in between the two originals by crossing your eyes. Concentrate on the center image and then relax your eyes to focus deeper, Shazam!
 

Attachments

  • xuLWw.jpg
    xuLWw.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 35
Back
Top Bottom