• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

VU meters on vintage amps

I miss them on my SX-1010. I listen on can's in the bedroom, so my SX-790(WITH Meters) basically hypnotizes me and puts me to sleep. Gonna have to dig around in the attic, I had a set of Ratshack meters (went to 50W I think) way back when(1977or so), adjustable for 4oHm or 8oHm. Wonder if they're still up there.

I remember those but its just not the same as the high quality back lights and dampened movement of some of these vintage amps and receivers.
 
I really enjoy seeing those huge VU meters. GAS Ampzilla, Son of Ampzilla, PL 400, Luxman M-4000.

That is something missing from todays new audio gear.
 
My old Technics had meters on both Pre & Power amps....

Its a battery meter on the pre & standard VU's on the power :cool:
 

Attachments

  • af1032ae.jpg
    af1032ae.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 120
  • add684b8.jpg
    add684b8.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 131
  • 86d7e049.jpg
    86d7e049.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 116
I have one of those son of ampzilla. bought it new in 1978. I took out the plastic long time ago. and I put red bulbs in it it looks real cool. I like it alot better that way. Right now its out of my system Im testing my sony tan77es compairing the 2 of them.
 
Great thread, a lot of great looking amps here :thmbsp:

SA-7700 is my ONLY amp I ever own that has both Power Meter and Peak LEDs

We almost have the same amp. I have just bought an SA-706 (I also own an SA-606). Here is a picture of my SA-706 after I fitted RED LEDs in the VU meters. Not sure if SA-7700 is different, or just another model name for SA-706, but they look very similar.

3350239637_c18fdf5d0b.jpg
 
OK... I'll join the party

Almost all of the Akai integrated's (well the AM 2450/2600/2650/2800/2850/2950) had dual analog meters that are switchable between a low setting and high setting (my 2600 goes between 3 Watt and 80 Watts @ 8 ohms).

Here's a pic of my Akai stack with my AM-2600 on top..

IMG_3393.jpg


Here's an Akai AM-2950 (totl Akai integrated)

:drool: I want this amp so bad :)
33ee_3.jpg


How about an Akai PS-200 Power Amp? :)

AkaiPS-200Seriesset010.jpg


Here's my Yamaha CA-610 integrated...love this amp

IMG_1166.jpg



Beside the "coolness" factor of big bouncy meters, I like having meters on my gear because it is a good "reference" as to how the amp is working. I have a separate audio power meter that I calibrate my meters to as well as overtime the analogs can drift a bit and not be equal on both sides.
 
There's only one thing sexier than throbbing power meters and thats when they're working it with 10.5" open reels revolving ever so methodically in synchonous harmony. Sort of a bolero style dance if you ask me.

Yeah, I've got a problem. Okay@! I know!:smoke:
 
and here r mine :music::music::music:
picture.php

picture.php

gotta love those VUs
and of what my understanding is the readings u get out of them would be of the output stage of the pre amps right?
not of the power output because if u plug ur headphones in the meters r still running correct me if i m wrong....
 
Back
Top Bottom