• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Wharfedale Denton vs. Elac B6

With my Yamaha A S501 and my Sony Cd/Dvd player , the Elacs sounded awesome . The Elacs are great for Latin jazz and vocal music as long as it's on a CD . I don't own a turntable so I wouldn't know how they'd sound with vinyl .
 
I noted a bit of sibilance when listening to the Elacs last night. I'm pretty sure it was my source material, but need to investigate a bit further...the S's and F's were a bit sizzling. I hope this does not continue because that was one thing I was trying to avoid. We'll see... While I do have probably about 10 - 15 hours on these speakers, technically, they are still breaking in....
 
Thats the one thing i never had a problem with on the Elacs . Sibilance is the most annoying thing about audio, even worse than lack of highs.
 
Yeas...well, as I mentioned, I have very sensitive ears..too many years of loud drumming in bands without ever using ear plugs...:) So..I have to be careful with sharp highs... I plan to try the CDs out on my little bedroom system tonight to compare the sound of the S's and F's...it could just be that these CDs were mastered bright. Then there is my amp, the cords etc etc....I want to keep the B6's as I think they sound great, but if the sibilance is a constant deal, they will go away. I'm guessing the Dentons have no graininess on top...right? Still digging them? Any new direct comparisons to the B6's?
 
Last edited:
Yeas...well, as I mentioned, I have very sensitive ears..too many years of loud drumming in bands without ever using ear plugs...:) So..I have to be careful with sharp highs... I plan to try the CDs out on my little bedroom system tonight to compare the sound of the S's and F's...it could just be that these CDs were mastered bright. Then there is my amp,, the chords etc etc....I want to keep the B6's as I think they sound great, but if the sibilance is a constant deal, they will go away. I'm guessing the Dentons have no graininess on top...right? Still digging them? Any new direct comparisons to the B6's?
When i was testing the Elacs vs the Dentons , my tinnitus was acting up ( spinal fusion surgery ) , that might have been the graininess i heard . Yesterday I moved the Dentons into my bedroom and connected them to my Yamaha A S501 . I played some Eddie Palmieri CDs and I was blown away by the warm yet crisp sound of the Dentons . My wife , who rarely says anything about my music , said " those sound way better than the gray ones you had there " . She was referring to the Elacs which she said sounded muffled . I'm loving the Dentons so far .
 
Ugh...tinnitus...I know it quite well....The criticism of the Dentons is that they are too polite...do you hear that? To disclose..I listen to music like Brian Eno, Bill Nelson, David Sylvian, Harold Budd, Talk Talk..etc etc..so no metal or rap going on over here anyway....
 
Last edited:
So far I'm thinking that the Dentons are more lively than polite . I've tried different genres of music such as Latin jazz ,salsa , instrumental rock and although I'm not a fan of rap , some Tupac . The sound is full and robust . I honestly have no complaints about the Dentons but then again I'm still breaking them in . I tried them with a bluray of The Dark Knight and was extremely happy with the Dentons and how they sound with movie audio .
 
Well, you are tempting me, aren't you? ;-) Since I am getting down to the wire on my 30 day Amazon return policy, I need to be vigilant about making a decision about the Elacs. So, tonight will be detailed investigation of the sibilance. If I can determine that it came from the Cd's themselves, than I'm still good....if I can't replicate the problem on my other system and discover sibilance on other discs, they may be rolling sooner than later....considering that the Dentons were my original pick, I may yet end up going down that road. Your thoughts on them have been invaluable....thanks.
 
Here is another temptation for you......Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 . I have a pair connected to a vintage Yamaha C A410II . This is part of computer setup . I absolutely love these speakers . They don't go as deep as the Dentons but deep enough so I don't need a subwoofer . 200 bucks cheaper than the Dentons .
 
Ugh...I'm at work so can't look right now, but I think the specs of the 10.1 are similar to the Pioneer BS22's (which I own)...and I've seen some reviews that compared the BS22's favorably....I was hoping to step up just one notch (which the 10.1's might be).... How do the 10.1's compare to the Dentons...not as much bass...how about overall character? Soundstage? Both warm I would guess... Isn't there also a newer model Diamond 220's and 225's as well? This is getting complicated! :-)
I had noted that the 220s and 225s have bottom bass ports which means they can be placed closer to walls or even actually on a bookshelf....I do have some space (about a foot or a bit more) to work with, but not a lot....
 
I've only heard the BS22s as part of an audio system in a surf shop so I can't really comment on them . The Diamonds have a lively crisp sound . Before I got the Dentons , the Diamonds were my favorite pair of bookshelf speakers . I will probably never part with the Diamonds . There are better sounding speakers out there but I'll never know because I'm done searching . I'm very happy with the Dentons and the Diamonds . It's time to enjoy the music and movies .
 
Im not an audiophile but im pretty fastidious when it comes to the sound of my music . I like a warm rich sound when I listen to Latin Jazz and a lively sound when I listen to other genres such as rock , R and B and sometimes heavy metal . I feel that these speakers give me what I want on top of looking good while I'm listening .
 
Well, you are tempting me, aren't you? ;-) Since I am getting down to the wire on my 30 day Amazon return policy, I need to be vigilant about making a decision about the Elacs. So, tonight will be detailed investigation of the sibilance. If I can determine that it came from the Cd's themselves, than I'm still good....if I can't replicate the problem on my other system and discover sibilance on other discs, they may be rolling sooner than later....considering that the Dentons were my original pick, I may yet end up going down that road. Your thoughts on them have been invaluable....thanks.
You are very welcome !
 
I'm certainly not a super knowledgeable audiophile either....long-time musician and music collector, but relativity new to hi-fi. That said, I'm just trying to put together a nice sounding entry level system that sounds great, has at least some elements of hi-fi, but doesn't bother my sensitive ears. I still think that the Elac B6's are a step up from the Pioneers (for sure), I've just got to assess this sibilance/grainy vocals issue. After going back through numerous reviews, I see that what I am hearing is mentioned by others...Cnet review among them...the speakers are still recommended, but it is noted. If sibilance is consistently present, that is a deal breaker for me. :-(
 
I am an amateur conga/ bongos player so I was looking for a bookshelf speaker that could replicate a conga hit with some relative realism . These Wharfedales do it well .
 
Spent about two hours messing w the speakers, headphone jacks (on both CD player and amp), and small Sony mini-stereo upstairs in bedroom..I am thinking presently that the sibilance is on the discs themselves and not being added by the speakers. I think their accurate presentation and clarity is probably bringing the sound more to the fore and I just had not heard it that strongly before because I didn't have as good of speakers. I think that's where I stand for now...I am quite sure that I will be doing even more review of this over the next few days before closing the door on the issue. I'm still thinking about them there Dentons and wondering if they might smooth some of this out for me. We'll see....overall, still happy with the B6's...hopefully the number of sibilant CDs I have are few....again...we'll see... :-}
 
So...my finger is on the button for the Dentons... I have about 8 days left to return the Elacs if I need to...I could order the Dentons, have both here to try out and send back the ones that I like the least. Should I do it, or sit w the B6's? Considering that the Dentons are limited (I think), they may not be around forever...I feel like if I don't give them a hear, I will regret it. That said, their reviews are a bit mixed and the B6's are great. Ah...what to do..what to do.... (so this is what audiophiles go through all the time...not sure I dig this all that much...yes I do...) ;-)
 
Back
Top Bottom