• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Wharfedale Denton vs. Elac B6

I have no regrets purchasing the Dentons . I have stopped looking at other speakers and can now enjoy the music . Have you read the 48 page review on the Dentons here on AK? I read every review I could find on the internet before I purchased .
 
Last edited:
Yeah...I am really learning towards trying them out. The loser goes home...if they are as good as you say...an end to looking is the goal.
 
Funny...it's like As The World Turns around here huh? :-) I'm excited to give them a go...remember, they were my first pick, I just got sick of waiting for them from MD. And of course, no worries...if I end up liking the Elacs better all the good for it..I will at least know what I was missing and can make a more informed decision. I am thinking that the Dentons are the ones...but we'll see... will keep you posted. One thing is that my 30 day is up from Amazon in about 8 days, so hopefully the Dentons will arrive soon enough for a comparison.
 
My Dentons arrived yesterday, and I immediately set them up facing each other, out of phase, with a (bass-heavy) pop music station playing on the radio. I left it going for about 11 hours yesterday, while I was out of the house. They are nowhere near fully broken in yet, but that at least got them on their way. Amplification is from a recapped Yamaha CR-1020 receiver (75 wpc), which tends to be on the cool side of neutral IMO.

Upon my return last night night, I rewired them in phase and put them into listening position. Stands are heavy, sand-filled metal (Target?), with the tweeters raised to proper ear level.

My initial impression is these speakers are not nearly as warm as I was expecting, but they are smooth and easy to listen to without being boring or rolled-off. If anything, they are very slightly lean-sounding, but this could probably be attributed to the Yamaha's character and also to the fact that the speakers are still breaking in. I am reserving final judgement on that for now. They do an especially good job of reproducing the human voice. Listening to NPR on FM, I was struck by how natural the announcers' voices sounded. I found that the Dentons have a nice "quickness" to them, an aspect which reminded me of the perky little Rega R1's that I used to have.

I am so far disappointed in their imaging, which so far sounds very flat and two-dimensional. Even my ancient AR4x's have a better realized soundstage. Again, this very well could change once the speakers burn in.

As others have stated, the rosewood finish on these speakers is rather stunning, much more so in person that how they look on the web. The wood grain pops with wonderful vividness and depth. These speakers are lovely to look at and look "high end."

In conclusion, keeping in mind that my reference system has a pair of highly regarded KEF LS50's, the Dentons may or may not live up to my expectations in the long run. Music Direct (whom I purchased them from) has a 60-day money-back guarantee, so I will continue running them in and see how they evolve.

Stay tuned for further evaluation...

OK, the Dentons are still "evolving" as they break in and I'm liking them better. I will reserve final judgement until later!
 
I received my pair from MD about a week ago. Have them connected to an NAD D 3020 and my MB Air as source w/ Velodyne Minivee 8 to help fill out the bottom. Just tonight having some time to experiment and listen. My sources are far from audiophile quality. But damn these things are smooth and musical! They just handle whatever I send them with aplomb. Nice balance, very transparent and SMOOTH. Gorgeous cabinets are a plus. I'm old and half-deaf with tinnitus but to me these sound terrific, especially at the US$499 MD price. Eager to hear how they mature...
 
I should have mine on Tuesday. I am very excited to do a direct comparison between the Dentons and the B6's. From the reviews/descriptions, I'm expecting to prefer the Dentons...my cup of tea...however, the Elacs are pretty awesome speakers...so, it will be interesting.
 
Bit of an odd point... I ordered my Dentons though Amazon...the page says order fulfilled and shipped by Music Direct. However, speakers are being shipped from Nevada...? Thought MD was in Chicago? Anyway, long standing account w Amazon and click of a button to return...no discussion or contact w customer service needed, so that's why I went that route. I won't need any more than 30 days to make my decision on them anyway (although I think Amazon honors the MD 60 day guarantee anyway)...probably one night! :-)
 
Oh...so that is the MD route then...weird...if their store is in Chicago why all the shipping? I guess the Wharfedales aren't on site but in a warehouse somewhere....Nevada I guess....
 
Makes me feel better then....with all that travelling one worries about damage....I am super excited about finally getting a chance to hear the Dentons. I have eyed them for years. When you look back it was noted that they were limited edition way back in 2012. Maybe because they were so popular Wharfedale decided to keep making them...I don't know...
 
They are well packed . My Dentons and Diamonds came in without a scratch . Supposedly there were only 2500 pairs made and as one guy stated on another site " they are as rare as rocking horse crap " in England .
 
Question about how you guys have wired your Dentons. I will not be bi-wiring, so I will use the standard hook up w bananas. How have you guys done this? As the manual suggests like this?
 

Attachments

  • speakers.PNG
    speakers.PNG
    242.5 KB · Views: 27
So, the top and bottom terminals then... I was just a bit confused by the pic because I would normally assume that the top 2 go together and the bottom 2 go together...I am expecting my Dentons on Tuesday.
 
Back
Top Bottom