• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What can you hear?

For a phone. It's an external phone microphone, rather than the built-in microphone. Much better than the built-in microphone, but still a phone microphone.

If they were using a pair of calibrated B&K mics or a couple of vintage Neumanns along with a really good mic pre and A/D converter, we would give it a listen, right?
 
If they were using a pair of calibrated B&K mics or a couple of vintage Neumanns along with a really good mic pre and A/D converter, we would give it a listen, right?
Better microphones and recording would unquestionably help. There's still the inevitable conflation of the recorded system's characteristics with YouTube and the listening system's characteristics, but the result would be a lot closer to an accurate depiction of the recorded system.
 
View attachment 1531062
I’m not here to cater to elitist either. So go make your video of your vintage Neumanns with calibrated B&K mics and your other superior equipment and post it on AK.
If I owned vintage Neumanns and all that other high end recording equipment, it would be for sale so fast...
As you assumed GChief was politically correct, you assume I'm an audio elitist. Couldn't be farther from the truth.
 
*Sigh* A little more listening and less ignoring, and you might learn how to improve your recordings. You'll get better results by placing individual, good-quality, mono microphones, one left and one right, a few feet in front of your speakers and a foot or two from each other. You'll need to experiment with the positioning -- distance from each other and from the speakers -- but when you get it right, you'll get a more natural sound and much less of the reverb that's prominent even in your better recordings. I'm not convinced the ADC and accompanying software in the phone is helping, but it might not be hurting as much as the microphones.
In a coincident array or, even better for this application, a human head binaural setup would be ideal.
 
If they were using a pair of calibrated B&K mics or a couple of vintage Neumanns along with a really good mic pre and A/D converter, we would give it a listen, right?
Back in the 80s I actually had a pair of Neuman capsule mics that would have been perfect for the application. Well, they would have if I had replaced the omni capsules with cardiod ones.
 
If I owned vintage Neumanns and all that other high end recording equipment, it would be for sale so fast...
As you assumed GChief was politically correct, you assume I'm an audio elitist. Couldn't be farther from the truth.
It was a general statement not directed towards any specific individual, unless the term fits.
 
Im not here to cater to the pretentious elitist either.
I'm only suggesting a couple of mono mikes of reasonable quality, mainly to get a better position and reduce the room reverb so we can hear more of your system and less of the echo. You could probably achieve it for less than the cost of your current outboard stereo phone mike.
 
Guys! Understand this is supposed to be a fun hobby. I’m capturing my stereo audio with simplistic methods. The only commitment was a $47 stereo microphone and free app.

The return:

External stereo mic

Versus

iPhone stock mono mic

Oh that’s right, you probably can’t hear the difference because it’s a lossy, compressed YouTube video recording from an iPhone. :crazy:
 
Last edited:
Guys! Understand this is supposed to be a fun hobby. I’m capturing my stereo audio with simplistic methods. The only commitment was a $47 stereo microphone and free app.

The return:

External stereo mic

Versus

iPhone stock mono mic

Oh yeah, but you probably can’t hear the difference because it’s YouTube:crazy:
I can hear the difference between the two microphones. Is that what you're trying to demonstrate? If so, success!
 
Oh yeah, but you probably can’t hear the difference because it’s YouTube:crazy:
I can certainly hear the difference in microphones, which is unsurprising, and I did point out in post #82 that the outboard phone mike is a lot better than the built-in mike. But I'm still not clear what you're intending to demonstrate by posting YouTube vids of your system. The title of the thread asks, "What can you hear?"

Is there something we're supposed to hear?
 
Im not here to cater to the pretentious elitist either. So go make your video of your vintage Neumanns with calibrated B&K mics and your other superior audio equipment

If I owned vintage Neumanns and all that other high end recording equipment, ....
you assume I'm an audio elitist. Couldn't be farther from the truth.

It was a general statement not directed towards any specific individual, unless the term fits.

:dunno: Sounds like it WAS directed towards A specific individual, as you used the word YOUR 3 times.
 
It's not apparent to us as to your objective(s). Better system sound quality?

Doesn't seem so as you spend your money on peripheral toys that don't improve anything. Your rack and aquarium (?) are still in the way of getting the best results with your system.

Why not buy a Chi-Fi DAC where you can replace the op amps with discrete FETs? That would improve system transparency.
 
I'm still not clear what you're intending to demonstrate by posting YouTube vids of your system.

This is the first MQA vs CD quality comparison video I have ever made. Critics say human hearing cant tell the difference in Hi-Res vs CD quality. Hi-Res is overkill. Heck, I can hear the difference on an iPhone mic recording, let alone in person.....This armature audio beta testing was also a good start to test the YouTube music copyright policies. I will have to create my own thread in the near future to welcome all the MQA/ Hi-Res lossy controversy,

https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/i...see-and-hear-it.782592/page-120#post-12800854

Honestly I think he has this thread and the other thread he been posting to confused. In the other thread there's a whole crew who are into filming their setups (no disrespect) and posting vids of them. They all seem to be into it complementing each other etc then for whatever reason, and I'm assuming, he decided that wasn't good enough? so he created this thread?
 
Back
Top Bottom