• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What CD player are you using with Mac preamplifier and amp?

Oppo BDP83SE -- can choose balanced XLR analog outputs from its excellent DACs or optical or coax for digital into my MX150 (playing CDs and SACDs) and am pleased enough with the BDP83SE that I am considering the soon to be released BDP95 which is Oppo's latest audiophile player.

Am exploring all options for building a music server for lossless audio files and keeping everything in the digital domain with the best audio quality possible until it hits the MX150's DACs to send it to the amplifiers.

MikeSp
 
I am using my Mac Mini with Amarra Mini more and more. I still have a few CDPs sitting around, nice ones too. My McIntosh MCD205 gets more use when I am not using the Mac Mini.
 
Hi
I have both MCD201 and MCD500 and both is great. I like the MCD201 even better when I use optical cable via MCD500.
Thanks
 
I bought a MVP 871 about 6 mos ago brand new for under 2K from a McIntosh Dealer. I had a Sony XA777ES. I absolutely love the 871 and as an added plus is the Video as I play a lot of concert DVD's and what I like best is the sound when watching a DVD is comes directly from the player and NOT thru the TV.
 
Bought a MCD500 last weekend. I absolutely love it. I can't believe the impact it's had on the sound. Before, I was using a squeezebox using lossless files and for discs an Oppo DV980H via HDMI.

The squeezebox going through the MCD500 digital input has received a huge upgrade in sound as well. :banana:
 
MCD205. About 3 hours ago I loaded it up with 5 David Hazeltine CDs and pushed 'Random". Pure delight, although I recognize that music servers will obsolete this feature too. I have loaded almost all of my CDs on to iTunes (lossless) and I run that computer through a Headroom DAC into my MA6200. But I use that for "whole house" listening, and stick to my 205 when I am in my listening room. I have not heard anything yet that beats it.
 
Lots of MCD205 love in this thread. It's a pretty hard machine to beat in most real world systems.
 
Use the MCD301 with the 501's & C46. I may be wrong, but think I would have a hard time hearing a large difference between the 301 and the 500 without a direct comparison.
 
I'm using MCD500 with MC501's and C500C/T in the main rig. Has anybody who thinks the MVP861/871 measures up to the MCD500 done an A/B comparison? :scratch2:
 
None yet, but...

I am looking to buy my first high-end cd player and am hoping a MVP-871 is a good choice because I can afford a used one, even though it stretches the budget. Unless, I start hearing people say to run from it! :scratch2:
 
Welcome to AK. The MVP-871 would be an excellent choice. If you do not need some of the bells & whistles of the MVP-871, you can save several hundred $$ by getting an MVP-861, which is the same transport and optical block. They both have an excellent rep for reliability. About the only thing that goes wrong is the belts need changing occasionally (many years) and the optical block or transport can wear out, as on all CD players. McIntosh probably has more of these CDPs in the field than any other piece of gear they've ever made, so they will be supporting for a long time. To help with longevity, they have a programmable feature that you can set to turn them off automatically if not used in 30 minutes or whatever.
 
Back
Top Bottom