• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What do all teh knobs and adjustment do and mean?

I have a Dual 1242 and I have no clue what all these adjustments do and what the designations mean.

I sure you guys know.

I'm posting photos...
 

Attachments

  • TurnTable 002.jpg
    TurnTable 002.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 79
  • TurnTable 003.jpg
    TurnTable 003.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 77
Register to hide this ad
If you haven't looked there, Vinyl Engine is a great place to find free downloadable turntable manuals.
 
big weight on the back, stylus pressure

knob on the side, anti-skate

wheel with numbers on the deck, VTA, as in the height of the arm at the rear.. I believe, never seen one like that, and the markings for it don't seem to support that though, but it sure seems logical, even though the CD4 would make it a quad table.. SO, I'm thinking it is actually for selecting 2 or 4 channel, but the 3 is throwing me...

knob next to it, pitch.. slower or faster..
 
Last edited:
The dial on the right side of the tone arm is tracking force. It should be pretty accurate providing you have perfectly balanced your tone arm, so that is floats horizontally in the air, using the big weight at the back. When balancing the tone arm make sure the dial on the right side is at zero. If you want to track at 1.5 grams just move the dial to 1.5. The dials on the base are antiskating. Set it at the same numerical value you set tracking force. I believe the middle set of numbers corresponds to an elliptical stylus, another to conical and the third set to hyper-elliptical. You have to know stylus shape to properly set that value. Like mentioned above, go to Vinyl Engine and download that manual and it will take you step by step through the process.
 
Do yourself a big favor, download, read and understand the manual FIRST! Then don't be afraid to ask any question here, no matter how insignificant you may think it is. The fine people here will be glad to help. Good luck and welcome to AK! :thmbsp:

Edit: Nice table! :yes:
 
Last edited:
big weight on the back, stylus pressure

knob on the side, anti-skate

wheel with numbers on the deck, VTA, as in the height of the arm at the rear.. I believe, never seen one like that, and the markings for it don't seem to support that though, but it sure seems logical, even though the CD4 would make it a quad table.. SO, I'm thinking it is actually for selecting 2 or 4 channel, but the 3 is throwing me...

knob next to it, pitch.. slower or faster..

WRONG!

The weight at the rear of the tonearm is for balancing the tonearm.

The dial on the side of the tonearm gimble is for adjusting tracking force after the counterwieght is used to balance the tonearm.

The dials on the side are for adjusting antiskate. There is a scale for "conical", "elliptical" and "CD4" or "Shibata" stylus shapes. They are different shapes and require a slightly different antiskating setting, hence the three scales.

The lever is for lifting and lowering the tonearm and is called a "cue" or "cueing" lever.

There is no VTA adjustment on that turntable. The knob is for selecting single play or repeat. The pitch adjustment is on the (left) other side of the platter and not visible in the pictures.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for setting me straight.. wow.. that sure is a different setup.. To the OP.. don't listen to me.. I'm almost dangerous.. :D
 
Not sure there is a 1242. The 1249 is the only Dual that has Multi and single play features. I vote that it is a 1249 as well. Is this some kind of test?
 
Yes, Dual did make a 1242.

1242r.jpg


Several tables in the 12XX series had the Single/Multi (VTA) function.

And to the OP, yes, do check the manuals on www.vinylengine.com . (Beat me by a minute!)
 
Last edited:
Well, I found out how to use the auto function.. and that it does not work on my turntable. But that is ok. Using it manual is fine.

I'm still working on what everything else does..
 
If the auto function does not work, no big deal as long at the tone arm tracks freely across the record. If the unit is 33 years old and hasn't been gone over then all that grease may be dried and gunked up. If the auto mechanism doesn't work but you see some movement of the tone arm but it's erratic then you may be missing a "steurpimpel". That word is in the parts list of your manual and you can search the forums here. It's just a tiny piece of plastic/rubber/vinyl/something that creates the friction that moves the arm. Also, you can elevate your tone arm to play multiple records. If I were you I would not even try elevating that tone arm. The dried grease inside the collar, plus the 33 year old spring can cause you tracking problems and then you would have to remove the tone arm to clean it all up and re-grease. I went through that 2 months ago. All in all that is a nice TT. I really like mine.
 
Back
Top Bottom