• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What is it with ADS speakers that some folks are so high on?

Experiment with stools, end tables etc.
For my Dahlquist DQ-10s, I tried the stock feet (3"), milk crates at 12" then dining room chairs at 18" and I went from listening down into the orchestra pit, to looking a bit down to the stage, to having speakers at listening height.

I think bookshelf speakers are usually less boomy when not on floor or right at other room boundary walls.
Boundary wall/floor, each couples with the bass to make it more and too much is boomy so getting the right height for speakers and then the correct distance from the walls can make them sound a lot better than just two speakers one on each side of a stack of gear on the floor.
 
I think bookshelf speakers are usually less boomy when not on floor or right at other room boundary walls. Experiment with stools, end tables etc. Trial and error.
I have 200, 300, 400, and the 620 (and some other ADS speakers). While I don't consider the 620 bookshelf speakers (like the L300s) I do have ADS speaker stands for the 400s. I bought them new when I bought the 400 speakers. Looking back, I'm not sure how I afforded them (new house, raising a family, old cars, ...) but I still have them. The right speaker wood is a bit faded from living room sun but still sound great.

I would suggest getting them off the floor but like I said above, my son has them on the floor. I've not try to convince him they would sound better higher. Like old guy suggested, experiment. My L8e speakers are on a bedroom dresser.
 
Inquiring minds want to know.
I have from the 300 series up to my bad daddy L1230's. (Excluding the 800 & 900 series).
I have not sent any to Richard So, but I have recapped my 780's and my 1230's myself.
I scored big time when I snatched my 1230's local off of OfferUp for $400. I was still getting dressed on the ride to the sellers house. lol. Kept her on the phone for most of the ride. Somehow the pair were missed by us all because I scrolled waaaay down to find them.
To answer the actual inquiry:
-they are well made
-look nice
-and they sound great to my ears.
I am still (and probably always will be) on the hunt for the elusive C2000 external xover unit.
I have heard a pair of L1530's with one in line
and I could hear the improvement. His Conrad Johnsons made them sing!
 
When I got my l400 speakers, a buddy and I audition as many as we could in the $400 price range. It took a few trips.

He had Boston acoustics a-100 (I think. Probably 35-40 years ago). He loved them.

When I finally decided on the ads, it was my most expensive audio purchase. I almost bought Maggie mga but liked the l-400 size for the living room. My friend liked them better than his BA. We both used 100 watt amps (I used a hafler dh200, he has a leach) so similarly powered.

I still have them, still in the living room, and still sound great. Considering how long I've owned them, they might be an audio bargain.

Pics are always nice
PXL_20250214_023524198.MP.jpg
 
Last edited:
As an example, listen to the 2nd video. Obviously nowhere as good as being there, but it gives you the idea.

Cheers, Glenn

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....-of-your-systems-lets-see-and-hear-it.782592/
Wow! Your system sounds great through my cell phone! Is that SRV plating in the 2nd video? Also, I have not heard the 910's. I have L1230's as my main pair and they are great. I was wondering if you or anyone else can tell me if there is a noticeable difference in audio performance between the 2 models? Or would the difference be negligable? thanks
 
Another 2 thumbs up for the L880 here, coincidentally, I also have a set of L980's playing along with them. And together they are pretty special.
What makes them special?
That goes back to Germany and the chief design engineer, Dieter Rams, and the legacy of Braun products.
But the magic lies in the presentation of pure, balanced, articulate sound reproduction. And again designed by talented audio engineers,, ADS a their variations, aDs, a/d/s/ chose quality components, unique marterials, and strict design calibrations to achieve a sound that is strictly their own.
Smooth, punchy, balaced, and pure, are some words used to describe them. I too would like to add some Aerial Acoustics to my cool collection. But remain content for now, having 9 sets of ADS ' is a good problem to have.
 
Good question. Bandwagon mentality me thinks. Tech types love to say the components are hard to work on. Well duh, a 2” tall receiver is going to be cramped compared to the 6” tall receiver everyone else was building. It’s like a computer tower vs a laptop. Everyone that’s heard of B&O will tell you the cartridges are expensive. What they seldom say is how great they sound. Probably because they never heard one. And so it goes, speakers found guilty by association or just unknown. I brought my B&O M70’s to an AK meet. I was driving them with a very pedestrian JVC receiver. Almost everyone said the same things about them - They loved the design, the matched rosewood veneer, the stands and the very detailed presentation. Go figure.
I have tons of B&O vintage gear. And I love tge way it sounds and looks. I've worked on their speakers, but would not ever open up any of the BeoMaster components to repair them. I've never had to gladly. I have all of the red line models & BeoVox S45/2, S60, S75, 4702 and my faves are the 4703's. I have teak and the rarer white finishes. I pair them with a 2400 receiver and a B&O TT in my LR to provide background tunes when company visits. Having the BeoMaster 2400 on permanent display at the Guggenheim Museum in NYC speaks to the overall quality of design & performance IMO. The vintage gear was way ahead of its time. I admit that the components are very different than most SS & tube pieces we all use, but that is partly why I like them. Also, I have the flat cd, tuner, speaker all in one unit hanging over my bathroom door. I press one button on the remote and the cd or FM station fires right up. Sounds great too. image.jpg
 
Not picking on GPH here but anytime I have needed to move out of a room with speakers playing, I came to the conclusion that I don't much care for those speakers with those electronics. If I can't listen all day, something I did when working at Hi-Fi House, then I don't want those speakers around. I don't have any speakers I can not use all day long and still enjoy their sound. Folks that have speakers that cause that kinda of flight reaction but they love em. I'd sure like to know why? Maybe it is peer pressure, reading that some folks love em so they feel obligated to love em too, 30 minutes at a time. Could be the desire for a different sound like live rock concert at an arena. Great for a concert but I wouldn't want to have that sound for everything I play on the rig.
its all personal taste. some guys thinks that woman is hot...some don't.
 
I have a pair of L420's connected to my Bottlehead SEX amp, this combo has a very nice quality of sound. This pair I picked up from Craigslist for a batch of my semi famous chocolate chip cookies. I also have two more pairs of ADS speakers and three pairs of Braun speakers.

ADS L420.JPG
 
I have a pair of L420's connected to my Bottlehead SEX amp, this combo has a very nice quality of sound. This pair I picked up from Craigslist for a batch of my semi famous chocolate chip cookies. I also have two more pairs of ADS speakers and three pairs of Braun speakers.

View attachment 3428540
I'm using a pair of L570/2's connected to a 10wpc Magnavox 9303 EL84 PP console amp I modified to run stand alone. They sound nice together.
 
I cleaned up the outsides and hooked them up and one was dropping out a lot, opened it up (what a chore) and removed and deoxit'd all the terminals, and it seems fine now.
gotta have some listening sessions soon.
 
For me, on first listen to my then new L570's, it was accurate timbre. Notes just sounded correct. Plucked bass sounded like plucked bass. Snares had good transient attack. Plus, music had very good detail and definition, without being too harsh or too rolled off and muted. I guess ADS made very balanced speakers. Musical.
Perfect!

A/D/S got that part quite right!
 
Back
Top Bottom