• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What is YOUR pet peeve? Let's have a laugh.

Isn't this the case with most data?

Heh. Well, I suppose to some extent that might be true, but if I work on something you can rely on it to be accurate to the best of my knowledge, whether it be a report or whatever. I don't generate garbage in order to claim something is done.

One of the people involved in creating the mess I'm dealing with I'd characterize as a luddite when it comes to some forms of technology. He once insinuated that all forms of automation were bad because some bank he worked for in the past had some problems based on automation. He'll be happy doing things manually forever. Not sure he'll have a job in the long run, but that's up to him.
 
Peeve du jour: Being on call

Yeah, another work related one.

Some 25 hours ago my turn in the on call rotation came up for the firewall team. We have several hundred virtual and physical firewalls out there, and generally try to stick to certain standards, but periodically you'll run across one of those environments where you see things we don't do anywhere else. I found one of those environments.

Of those 25 hour of on call, I've spent somewhere around 10 of them working on verifying everything we set up on the firewalls for a particularly complex environment is working as it should be. I got half the story when this all started, and it just seems like it will never end, and to further burden the issue, the systems engineer I've been working with is reluctant to get what I think is a client(? -- could be a vendor as I know nothing about this particular service) to check their systems.

I see traffic going outbound, nothing coming back on the perimeter firewall. There are three vlans involved, and I confirmed that we're sending traffic on the right vlan.

And we're only halfway into the weekend!
 
Peeve du jour: Being on call

Yeah, another work related one.

Some 25 hours ago my turn in the on call rotation came up for the firewall team. We have several hundred virtual and physical firewalls out there, and generally try to stick to certain standards, but periodically you'll run across one of those environments where you see things we don't do anywhere else. I found one of those environments.

Of those 25 hour of on call, I've spent somewhere around 10 of them working on verifying everything we set up on the firewalls for a particularly complex environment is working as it should be. I got half the story when this all started, and it just seems like it will never end, and to further burden the issue, the systems engineer I've been working with is reluctant to get what I think is a client(? -- could be a vendor as I know nothing about this particular service) to check their systems.

I see traffic going outbound, nothing coming back on the perimeter firewall. There are three vlans involved, and I confirmed that we're sending traffic on the right vlan.

And we're only halfway into the weekend!

:eek:, :(, :hug: !
 

!Peeve: everything was set up correctly

Got up and read through the latest updates. I had recommended the systems engineer follow up with our network team to verify the handoff point for the traffic to absolutely verify everything in the path. The firewall was connected to a switch at least, and from there it's connected to the customer/vendor gear. (yeah, the firewall team and network team are separate entities here). Networking was able to confirm the VLAN traffic is being sent out to the client systems from the last piece of equipment we manage. At that point it's being managed via layer 2 protocol, and we are just adding traffic to an existing configuration. If you get the VLAN right, it's going to go where it should.

I might actually have a quiet Sunday.
 
Have not seen those- those tools are not available for titles. You only can do all-caps.
If you've unread posts in a thread, then they are bold but size does not change.

I should have said this is on the "New Posts" pages.

I would post a screen shot but...

(Funky phone.)
 
Back
Top Bottom