• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

What was your first car?

My first car was a 1977 Dodge Monaco. Drove it a couple years and traded it for a 1948 Chevy coupe. It had a 350ci, 4 speed on the floor, highrise intake, Holly 4 barrel, fenderwell headers, positrack rear-end, and bucket seats. Had a blast with it!
 
74 Malibu Classic 4 door same color as this, It was a very good car.


74chev74264-1.jpg

My wife had a 2-door 1974 Malibu Classic when we met in 1978. Hers was white with a maroon vinyl top. It had a 400 CID small-block V8 and an automatic transmission. It was a thirsty car, but comfortable and reliable.
 
My first car that never ran and sat under the mulberry tree at the back of the yard and I listened to the radio when I was 13....

Keep going....and while listening to the radio I pretended to be cruising down the highway..drag racing..steering and shifting like a madman....you know you did! :rflmao:

Hell I probably put more miles on cars that never moved than I ever did driving on the road. At that age I wanted to drive anything and everything..cars, trucks, lawnmowers, tractors etc...if it had wheels I wanted at it. Usually got me in a lot of trouble too since back then keys were just left in the ignition.
 
Keep going....and while listening to the radio I pretended to be cruising down the highway..drag racing..steering and shifting like a madman....you know you did! :rflmao:

Hell I probably put more miles on cars that never moved than I ever did driving on the road. At that age I wanted to drive anything and everything..cars, trucks, lawnmowers, tractors etc...if it had wheels I wanted at it. Usually got me in a lot of trouble too since back then keys were just left in the ignition.

Yep you know it! I fantasized about drag racing somewhere out on the country roads against...a '52 Chevy. My thinking was it was about the only thing I could possibly beat in my Straight-8 Behemoth. Never mind that this was during the heart of the big-block muscle car heyday. In my mind I found a path to victory for myself and my Pontiac :rolleyes: :biggrin: Yep....no V-8s in Chevys in '52, only six's
 
Last edited:
1964 Ford Galaxie 500.....4 door. bought it from my neighbor for $15. Needed right front fender, spindle and head light bezel. Got them from a local junk yard for $20. Served me well in HS. Not mine...found pic on web
View attachment 2277266

I learned to drive on a 1964 Galaxie 500! It was my mom's grocery getter, a 4-door sedan in Guardsman Blue, and it had a 352 CID V8 with a 4-barrel carburetor and dual exhausts. It was very quick in a straight line and my family used to joke that it could pass anything but a gas station.
 
Bad part about the 352 was the way they cast the intake. It was actually about a 1/4 of the head cast into it with the pushrod holes and part of the valve cover seat. Not one of Ford's better ideas.
 
1960 MGA coupe. Ran too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter, but nothing I've driven since has been as much fun to drive.
Does it blow your mind, what those sell for now? I sold mine needing an engine overhaul, but otherwise in ok cond. for $50!
 
The 235 could suffer from a lack of oil in the valves, but my dad had an ex submarine mechanic who cured that by running an exposed oil line off the oil pump through the side of the head. It just blew oil inside, and it really quieted the valves down and provided all the lubrication they could want.

Sounds a bit like how BMW lubes the cam on some of their older OHC motors. They have a thing called a "sprayer bar" in there, which is just a steel tube with a small hole over each cam lobe to shoot oil on things. Works fine unless the oil doesn't get changed, then the holes clog and the cam wipes out. The diesel in my Continental has that arrangement, and mercifully it seems to have gotten regular oil changes because the cam is pristine.
 
1977 Pontiac Grand Prix SJ

Was the cheapest way to get the TransAM drive train (400 4bbl, TH400, posi) and about half the cost of a used Bandit TA in 1985. Great car for many different uses and I so miss having a large trunk with 6x9's firing into it. Between the true duals and the stereo, it was audio bliss!

1977GP.jpg

This isn't mine, but it's pretty close. Same color.

jblnut
 
My buddy in H.S. had a hardtop Ford 55 with a column shift. Not that nice either. A nad me down that had a dark blue Earl Scheib paint job.
I later had a 56 crown vic with a skull on the rear deck. The eyes lit with the brake lights. It blew a piston on I 95 and covered both sides of the highway with blue smoke for 15 miles. It's hard to embarass me- I was.
 
Back
Top Bottom