• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What was your first car?

1968 Rambler American. Bought it when I was graduating High School in 1970. I thought I was pretty cool because I had a car only 2 years old.
This is exactly how it looked. Same color and everything.



View attachment 2273326

We had a '64 of that color, for a while. Ran fine, but was so rusty that Dad finally yanked the engine (last year of the 196 in '64, IIRC) and transmission and put them into another Rambler...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
My first was a 1967 Plymouth Valiant sedan, four door, bench seats, automatic, AM radio, slant six engine - the 170 cubic inch version with a Ball & Ball carb and a carb heater stuck in the "cold" position. In the winter, the engine would routinely die at all stops and corners. It was still better than taking the bus, and I even drove to California in it.

Yep, that was a Slant 6, all right. You played hell GETTING it running, but once it was, you couldn't STOP it from running, pretty much forever.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
1978 Fiat 124 Spider. Not my car, but the same year, model, colors, and wheels. Had a 1.8L DOHC (hood humps for clearance), Weber carb, 5-speed manual, 4 wheel disc brakes, and a rear seat that added interior spaciousness/cooler carrying. The only part to break in 6 years and 150,000 miles was a snapped clutch cable as the where wire cables back then. That was it. Not a Fix It Again Tony car. Yes it had routine maintenance as do all cars. View attachment 2276940

I almost bought one of those, but the girl who had it before, trashed the transmission, and I had no idea where to find another one in South Georgia in the early 1980s.

But, I then found an Opel GT, and never looked back. We had all the Opel parts anyone could ask for (we regularly fixed up Opel Kadetts and Mantas, which had the same exact drivetrain), so that was a much more practical deal...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Original Michelin zX tires. I ran those, too. :)

View attachment 2277106

Those things would last forever. My dad would get the take-offs of those from tire stores- and, I really think, he would get more mileage out of the USED XZXs, than whoever replaced them, got out of whatever other brand NEW tires they put on.

They would get hard as a rock after a while (rain grip wasn't so good, naturally), but they would run for astonishingly high mileage.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
First car was a 1972 Spitfire MK IV.I was 20 when I got that along with my Driver's license.I was always looking for rides in the winter as all I had was a motorcycle.Learned a lot about cars driving this one though it was generally pretty reliable.Drove it from Toronto to Vancouver and back around 1975.I remember coming back and stopped in traffic just North of North Bay as a man hunt was going on.The OPP officer came over had a quick look in the car and laughed as there was just enough room for my brother and I.That was when Cloud II was shot and killed by Kelly.
Car met it's demise wrapped around a Hydro pole.My brother driving.He was fine and the car was sold for salvage
Not my car,but looked like this
triumph-spitfire-1972-4.jpg
 
Last edited:
1963 Acadian Beaumont Convert.(Pontiac trim on a Chevy II body) with 194 L6 and PG, that was my Mother's car she got 2nd hand in 68. Good easy to work on car and engine sounded like a mini turbine with a powerglide hum.
 
Last edited:
Yep, that was a Slant 6, all right. You played hell GETTING it running, but once it was, you couldn't STOP it from running, pretty much forever.

Regards,
Gordon.
But don’t ever try to change the tires like a normal car. Reverse threads. I broke 3 stubs off trying to fix a flat.
Hard lesson to learn.
 
But don’t ever try to change the tires like a normal car. Reverse threads. I broke 3 stubs off trying to fix a flat.
Hard lesson to learn.

Just on ONE side. Left hand threads on one side, right hand threads on the other!

From an engineering standpoint, it made perfect sense. In theory, by putting left hand threads on one side and right hand on the other- when the wheel rolled down the road, the nuts would be somewhat "self tightening", on both sides. They should not loosen and come off by themselves, even if they weren't torqued properly.

From a logistical standpoint, for the average person, they were a complete nightmare, as described above. Unless EVERYONE adopted them, so the entire public was used to them being the standard, there would always be people wringing the left-hand threaded nuts off, thinking they unscrewed in the same direction as the right-hand nuts...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Last edited:
But don’t ever try to change the tires like a normal car. Reverse threads. I broke 3 stubs off trying to fix a flat.
Hard lesson to learn.
My memory may fail me on this, but weren't the reverse threads only on one side of the car? Also the case on the '63 and prior full-sized Olds.
 
Just on ONE side. Left hand threads on one side, right hand threads on the other!

From an engineering standpoint, it made perfect sense. In theory, by putting left hand threads on one side and right hand on the other- when the wheel rolled down the road, the nuts would be somewhat "self tightening", on both sides. They should not loosen and come off by themselves, even if they weren't torqued properly.

From a logistical standpoint, for the average person, they were a complete nightmare, as described above. Unless EVERYONE adopted them, so the entire public was used to them being the standard, there would always be people wringing the left-hand threaded nuts off, thinking they unscrewed in the same direction as the right-hand nuts...

Regards,
Gordon.

No no no, that's not it. It was so the massive torque of the slant six didn't spin them off when accelerating. The 440 didn't have the problem, but they got it too.
 
oldcr.jpeg When I turned 16 I paid a farmer $60 for this 36 Chevy. It was parked in a chicken coop and I first thought it was white but once I got the poop off it was black. Could never gets its dull paint to shine so I'd rub it down with kerosene. When I drove to school folks complained that they could smell me coming. :biggrin:
 
'67 TR4A IRS

Turned out to be a five car.

Paid 500 for it, had it for 5 years, sold it for 5 grand.

Very nice first car! Did you learn to drive a manual, on that car?

I learned on my old '67 VW Bug. My Dad showed me the gear shift positions, gave me the keys, and told me "Good Luck!" One of the best cars to learn a stick. Of course, I did have 5 years of dirt bike racing experience. :)
 
Did you learn to drive a manual, on that car?
Sort of.

It was the first manual i'd driven on pavement, legally.

I actually learned my basic manual skills on my neighbor's dad's three on the tree '65 Econoline pickup(The Puddlejumper), in their backyard and adjoining local baseball field when we were 12 or 13. It was easier than learning the 5 + 4 in a Mack a few years later.
 
Of course, I did have 5 years of dirt bike racing experience. :)
I actually learned manual clutching on a Hondamatic, go figure. o_O

For those not familiar with the early Hondamatics, they actually have a manual clutch set in them that's actuated by the shifting mechanism, holding the shifter partway up or down from it's center position disengages the manual clutch pack thus allowing redline holeshots, and redline power shifts. :D
 
I actually learned manual clutching on a Hondamatic, go figure. o_O

For those not familiar with the early Hondamatics, they actually have a manual clutch set in them that's actuated by the shifting mechanism, holding the shifter partway up or down from it's center position disengages the manual clutch pack thus allowing redline holeshots, and redline power shifts. :D

Was this a Honda Trail 70? I remember a friend and I broke the spine of the frame, doing jumps in a construction site --- on his older brother's Trail 70. I haven't thought about that in decades. My first "racer" was a souped-up, old beaten Hodaka. I must have seized that engine a hundred times. I just went to the dealer and bought pistons, six at a time. Castor bean oil made power but lubrication-wise, it wasn't synthetic. Smell of exhaust was awesome! :)

Honda-trail-70_2 (1969).jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom