• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What was your first car?

Not my car but looked exactly the same. 1962 Buick Skylark, 215 aluminum V8, four barrel carb, four speed, power windows, power steering, AM radio. Drove it coast to coast one year, off road like a jeep, all manner of idiocy, sold it for a nearly new 1966 K code Mustang which had the most personality of any car I've owned. The Buick.
1280px-Buick_Skylark_1961.jpg
 
Had a '51 English convertible, on the chubby-side look.

Around in the 50 HP range, going the 60mph in 63 seconds.

Company started in 1919, last car with this name 1984.

Economy classed car, not really sport-type

Four gears with four clyinders.


Not much of a chick-mag, but it worked to a degree. :D

Can you guess what it was?


Q
 
Color and stance reminds me of those CHP Buicks on "Highway Patrol" afternoon channel 13 reruns. TV was my baby sitter. :D

EDIT: Dig those vintage cueing marks! Haven't seen that in decades!

`60s automotive trivia: the portholes on those old Buicks were perfect for opening beer bottles :-)
 
We're going back a long way now.

I was seventeen in 1958 and I bought a 1937 Austin 7 Ruby Convertible for £35.
An architect who lived up on Wimbledon hill had got a local garage to recondition the engine, fit a new hood and seat covers, he'd bought the car for his wife. But she found she couldn't manage the Bendix brakes, the stopping power of which was entirely due to how much pressure you could put on the pedal. (You developed an "emergency braking method" when necessary, you gripped the steering wheel and levered yourself up so your entire weight was transferred through your right foot to the brake pedal).
My cousin who was five years older than I, worked at the garage and became aware of it's availability (the guy had bought his wife a new Mini instead). So made him an offer on my behalf.

It was the same model and colour as this. I found this photo on the internet, as I lost any photos I had of my car in a house move.

It was extremely reliable. The engine had neither an oil pump (bearings splash lubricated) nor a water pump, just a fan and large diameter water hoses.
I kept it a year and all it cost me in parts was 5p for a new bearing for the dynamo which I fitted myself.
I had more fun in that car than any since. I used to drive it to work that year from South London up to Regent Street in central London, I could always find a parking space near Broadcasting House, no parking meters as yet.. The car had no locks, but no one ever stole it or took anything from it I'd left in it all day.

The single windscreen weiper worked via a vacuum tube from the induction. If driving up a steep hill in heavy rain with your foot necessarily hard down, the wiper would stop, so you had to momentarily take your foot off the accelerator, to allow the wiper to thrash wildly for a second to clear the screen.
The windscreen hinged at the top and could be opened by pushing it forward and locking it in any position you liked. Handy for picnics as you could position it horizontally and use it as a table, by sitting on the bonnet and dangling your legs over the dashboard.(Girls liked that idea)

My favourite memory is of a hot summer Sunday when I and my girlfriend at the time, were in the front and her best friend and her boyfriend were in the back. We were in a double line of cars queing to get into Hampton Court car park. We had the hood down, the other boy had his new transistor record player on his lap and he was playing Buddy Holly records at full volume to the visible annoyance of adults in the cars around us.
Happy days!




3.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Before I had my Austin 7, I had a half share (£10), in one of these.

A 1930s "Straight eight" Chrysler Airflow. We think it was ex-US army as it was right hand drive.
It did eight miles to the gallon, had 5" of play in the steering but had excellent brakes. It would have never passed an MOT when they came in.

The gearbox died after about three months so it was scrapped..

index.jpg
 
Before I had my Austin 7, I had a half share (£10), in one of these.

A 1930s "Straight eight" Chrysler Airflow. We think it was ex-US army as it was right hand drive.
It did eight miles to the gallon, had 5" of play in the steering but had excellent brakes. It would have never passed an MOT when they came in.

The gearbox died after about three months so it was scrapped..

View attachment 2464723
Pity, plenty of those Imperial gearboxes stateside.
 
Not my car but looked exactly the same. 1962 Buick Skylark, 215 aluminum V8, four barrel carb, four speed, power windows, power steering, AM radio. Drove it coast to coast one year, off road like a jeep, all manner of idiocy, sold it for a nearly new 1966 K code Mustang which had the most personality of any car I've owned. The Buick.
1280px-Buick_Skylark_1961.jpg

My uncle had one of those, except his was the convertible, and was blue with a white top.

Unfortunately, with him living in the mountains of Kentucky- it rusted out very quickly from the salt on the roads... :(

Regards,
Gordon.
 
My uncle had one of those, except his was the convertible, and was blue with a white top.

Unfortunately, with him living in the mountains of Kentucky- it rusted out very quickly from the salt on the roads... :(

Regards,
Gordon.
I often drove mine at impossible speeds over impossible roads but never really abused it. Abused means popping the clutch or power shifting but it was floored and wound to it's red line on a regular basis with no ill effects. It had 13 inch wheels but I did install the biggest size passenger tires that would fit. I installed big passenger car tires on all my cars, big radials and good shocks, Monroe's best. Fortunately Southern California didn't have snow to melt so cars tended to wear out rather than rust out.
 
Last edited:
I almost bought one of those, but the girl who had it before, trashed the transmission, and I had no idea where to find another one in South Georgia in the early 1980s.

But, I then found an Opel GT, and never looked back. We had all the Opel parts anyone could ask for (we regularly fixed up Opel Kadetts and Mantas, which had the same exact drivetrain), so that was a much more practical deal...

I was looking into the Opel GT, but wanted a convertible. They were nice. My neighbor had a ragged out 1959 MG that he sold and bought a Saab Sonnet III.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Mom & Dad laid out $125 for a 57 Chev 210 after I got my license. 283 2bbl, Powerlide & about 6 shades of primer. But it was MINE and way cooler than their Ranch Wagon.
 
1958 VW Baja Bug in ‘72 for $600 when I was 16. Supposedly it was the project car in Hot Rod magazine. A lot of fun, but it seemed I was always rebuilding the motor. 2 years later we (now married) traded it in on a new ‘74 Honda Civic.
 
1961 Mercury Comet.

It was what we called a “bomb” back then as you never really knew when It was going to blow up.

I remember bringing it into a place that said they would help me replace and adjust the breaks.

When I drove it out of the garage, I came to a stop sign and pressed on the breaks only to find that the car locked up and turned uncontrollably to the extreme right!

needless to say that I hobbled back to the garage where they made it somewhat acceptable.

upload_2022-2-6_0-39-51.jpeg

Not the actual pic but pretty close.
 
Last edited:
Since it's still one of my favorite cars ever made, I get a kick out of saying my first car was a '67 Jag E-Type roadster. I fell in love at first sight in 1961 when I was 12 years old and about 10 years later immediately after graduating from engineering school and getting a job I bought it. I don't have good pics of it but it was just like this one:

my 67 e type jag roadster.jpg
 
First car was a gift from Mom and Dad.. 1959..age about 14. My Mom was a 3rd grade teacher, church organist, college Validictorian .. who quietly liked new worlds and adventure. When she was a child she took parts off her father's Model T.. and replaced them with pieces of paper with notes. Her Dad said if anyone opened the barn door and the wind blew in.. she would never be able to put the engine back together... yet he let her explore and study. My Daughter (54) even today continues that open minded curious attitude that I have always encouraged... Grandkids too.
My parents bought a newer car.. and gave me the keys to their 1947 Chevrolet Business Coupe.. and words of caution until I could control it on our 3 acres of grassy hillside in Upstate New York. It was not long before I had all the neighhood kids on board excitedly yelling while I made full broadside bouncing drifts around the rutted corners. After the muffler got knocked off.. I chopped off the rear fenders with my Dad's axe (another story) to lighten it. The best runs were after a rain when longer broadsides and flying mud were on-board favorites. One neighborhood Mom made a badly timed entrance when I had lost control and slid dangerously close to a cherry tree. Whatever Elva was wildly shouting at me and her 2 kids has been lost.. but I do remember the seat was wet where little Bernie sat.
Field cars are the Best.
Good times.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom