• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What was your first car?

My first car was - kind of - a 1980 Mercuri Capri. Basically a a Fox body Mustang. It was technically my then-girlfriend's, though I usually drove it and probably put 30,000 miles on it.

index.php


My actual first car was a 1989 Cavalier. Two door, 4 cylinder but it had a manual and a sunroof so I was happy. I'm usually not a fan of smaller front wheel drive GM vehicles but this was a pretty good car. I bought it for about $1,500 and drove it from 1993 until 1996 and didn't have to do any real repairs. It did burn a bit of oil and I didn't drive it hard, but it was solid for me from sophomore year of college and delivered pizzas in it for a couple years. It even polished up pretty well though it was COMPLETELY neglected until I bought it. It was a city vehicle for four years so likely well maintained but definitely ignored aesthetically.

index.php
 
No pictures and don't know how to post from the net. First car was a 1964 Pontiac Laurentian. Basic 4 door sedan, 283 V8, 3 speed column shift, post traction rear. Great car! normal maintenance only.
 
Just left click on the picture you want to save as sometimes they will enlarge and you will sometimes see + signs to make it even bigger (wickipedea for example) as you want to save the biggest file you can for clarity) . Then right click it and you will be given the option where you want to name it as highlighted in blue as it usually is and you can then type in what you want if you wish. Then right click on the name and it will give you an option where you want to store it , usually (your pictures) .

When you want to post it here just click on upload a file (after clicking Post Reply) . You can also post a link by clicking on the chain link above! You have to copy and past that in also!
 
66 Buick Skylark 310 Wildcat and 2 speed automatic when I got it. It had 19456284-1966-buick-skylark-thumb.jpg a 455, Turbo 400, and a 3.55 posi 12 bolt in it before it was all over. The picture is not my car but looks a lot like mine did.
 
I bought a '84 Mustang GT in '85 with 17K miles on it. Had no idea on how to drive a stick. That was an interesting adventure. Got it home without too many problems. Ford made no automatic transmission GTs in '84, except for perhaps the convertibles, but I'm not sure one way or another. I'd rather have had the manual anyway.

It wasn't fast unless you measured it against the cars of its day. And yeah, it wasn't. But it was fun. I liked it.

I sold it in '97 I think it was with 193K on the odometer. Original engine, used T-5 replacement transmission.

That was pretty much the last four barrel carb performance oriented car Ford made in the US.. Everything after it was fuel injected. It had a 600 CFM Holley from the factory.

This is fairly similar, but I didn't have the pin striping around the blackout on the hood, nor the blacked out lower body panels.

Didn't have the fancy seats either. But the rims and pretty much everything else is the same, including the t-tops. That car would twist when you put a jack on it.

index.jpeg
 
I'm sure everyone still has their first car. Here is my 1966 Mustang. It came with a C code 289, C4 auto, 4w drum brakes, ...

View attachment 2462054

Minnesota winters haven't been too nice when it is your only car.

I've replaced both from fenders (wings for my UK friends), floors, cowl vents, frame rail, both rear quarters. Needs paint but mechanically very good:
351w,T5,8.8 diff, 4w discs, new interior, most of the Shelby mods, ....

I think I've touched every nut and bolt.

Mustangs were great "first cars"

I was 14 when my Dad retired from the USAF and we moved to Sacramento. I hustled up a job in a skateboard shop (Skateboard City) and started saving my pennies for a car. My Dad knew that I was antsy to buy something, although I had no idea what that something was, and came home one day and told me about a ‘66 Mustang, six-banger, 3-speed manual, for sale down the street. I was 15 when I bought that, my first, car.

The Mustang sat in the driveway and any money earned from my job went into the car. Went through all the mechanicals, new custom upholstery, header into dual exhaust, etc. Got all the little dings fixed and the car was ready for paint. Mom and Dad got me some chrome reverse wheels for Christmas and I had to buy the tires.

The Mustang was totaled not long after when a drunk lady slammed into the back of it. Got the wreck back (I wanted the interior that I had just laid out some serious $$$ for), with some insurance money, and parted out what was left.

IMG_20180709_172001069.jpg

IMG_20180709_172019564.jpg



Replaced it with another ’66 which I had kept up until 2008.
IMG_20180709_172038797.jpg


Currently, I've had this thing sitting in my side yard for almost 4 years. It was one of those "can't pass it up" deals and I can't say my wife wife was all too excited when it followed me home.
IMG_20180805_191259208.jpg
 
i've seen seat backs broken on 66 mustangs. They are not latched. I hope you where ok after getting rear ended.

My wife was rear ended on my mustang when she was in college. I had a draw-tite trailer hitch that bolted to the front the the gas tank and to the bumper. It really helped protect the car. It only bowed the bumper. I still have the bumper but had to cut/weld to get it straight again.

your new project looks like a lot of fun. I hope you get it on the road. they can be a lot of fun.
 
Mine...1971 Datsun B210. 4-speed.manual everything. Mine was a mixture of blue and rust with vinyl seats...
CC-216-082-1200.jpg


Girlfriend at time/now wife .... 1973 Olds Delta 88. Again, ours was blue with rust accents, rotting cloth seats, and leaky windshield. HUGE powerful car...

NH%2FMZ%2FFB%2F3XOTGGRXLPT45I.jpg
 
i've seen seat backs broken on 66 mustangs. They are not latched. I hope you where ok after getting rear ended.

I was fine.

The car was out of gas parked against the curb on a overpass with the flashers on when she hit it. I was about 50 yards away heading back with a can of gas. Saw the whole thing happen.

It was quite surreal.
 
70Nova.JPG

Not my actual car, can't find an old photo of it, but very much like this 1970 Nova SS. Mine was originally a big block car with a 4-speed but when I bought it in 1978 it had a radical 350 LT1 small block with a TH400 transmission, B&M slap stick, 4:11 12-bolt posi, with the battery and electric fuel pump mounted in the trunk. What I wouldn't give to have it today.
 
This '70 Dart Swinger 318 V8 in 1972 when I turned 16, photo from around '74.

1970-Dart-Swinger.jpg

I had the 1972 Dodge Demon as a first car in 1979. It also had the 318, and a standard stick-shift tranny that only had 4 gears including reverse lol. The Demon was renamed Dodge Dart Sport the following year iirc. Had to do with some bible thumpers claiming Demon was "blasphemy". Party poopers.
 
Back
Top Bottom