• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What was your first car?

index.php


Did you know they make a scented candle?

This I MUST find!
 
Very nice first car! Did you learn to drive a manual, on that car?

I learned on my old '67 VW Bug. My Dad showed me the gear shift positions, gave me the keys, and told me "Good Luck!" One of the best cars to learn a stick. Of course, I did have 5 years of dirt bike racing experience. :)
I agree. Very forgiving clutches in the old Bugs. I learned on my older sister's girlfriend's '68. I had kind of a crush on her too, so that added motivation not to stall the car.
 
I agree. Very forgiving clutches in the old Bugs. I learned on my older sister's girlfriend's '68. I had kind of a crush on her too, so that added motivation not to stall the car.

Kinda gives it away, when you stalled the engine or burn out the clutch. Bugs were number one chick magnets. Many lifts to and from HS.
 
I'm sure everyone still has their first car. Here is my 1966 Mustang. It came with a C code 289, C4 auto, 4w drum brakes, ...

20180520_174311~2.jpg

Minnesota winters haven't been too nice when it is your only car.

I've replaced both from fenders (wings for my UK friends), floors, cowl vents, frame rail, both rear quarters. Needs paint but mechanically very good:
351w,T5,8.8 diff, 4w discs, new interior, most of the Shelby mods, ....

I think I've touched every nut and bolt.
 
Last edited:
My first car was a 1962 Chevy Belair. I bought it myself when in high school.

This is a picture of the car taken in 1973 when I was a senior in high school. The car was in better shape when I bought it for $125 the year before. Living in the midwest with their winters and snow, I had a habit of running into snow drifts at speed. But only when I had a car full of friends. Several times I had to pop the hood and dig out the snow from around the engine. :D Good times.
Yearbook pic 1962 Chevy.jpg

I was friends with the yearbook photographer. This is my Chevy in the local Dodge dealer's lot that my friend took when taking pics for the yearbook advertisers. They did not use this particular picture for the yearbook.
1962 Chevy at Slimans.jpg

My second car was a 1950-something Morris Minor I bought for $50 my senior year of high school. My Morris Minor appeared instead in the HS yearbook. My Morris Minor is parked in front.
Morris Minor at Slimans copy.jpg
 
I actually learned manual clutching on a Hondamatic, go figure. o_O

For those not familiar with the early Hondamatics, they actually have a manual clutch set in them that's actuated by the shifting mechanism, holding the shifter partway up or down from it's center position disengages the manual clutch pack thus allowing redline holeshots, and redline power shifts. :D

I had one of those. I think it was a 74 Civic, give or take a year. It was a two speed with converter and no clutch pedal. Step on the gas and move the lever from 1 to 2 so it would shift gears. It worked good.
 
My first car was a `58 Impala ragtop, with a 348 tri-power engine, 4-speed, and a Posi rear. It was a lot of car for a young kid, but I learned it`s limits (as well as my own) pretty quickly.
Mine was an X-frame W-motor Chevy as well. '64 Impala 409/400 with a Muncie going into a 3.36 open(!) rear. Ember Red with a black SS interior and Keystone Kustomags. Thing was a bear to launch, but once you got it rolling, hold on!

PS -- Maxx, that isn't your actual car, is it? I don't have pictures of mine.
 
Last edited:
A hand me down from older brother. It was his when he was home from school and mine otherwise. Mine was red, had no AC and an AM radio.

1971-dodge-demon-225-slant-six-two-owner-survivor-2.jpg



After that the first car I bought for myself with money OI earned was a '73 Cutlass Supreme 350 in 1978 or so (hard to remember) mine was dark brown, stock wheels and a white vinyl roof. Seems like this one is a close match.
1973-oldsmobile-cutlass-base-57l-1.jpg



My first Brand New car was a 1981 Corolla in blue, basically this one with standard metal wheels and hubcaps. This had AC and an AM/FM radio (added cassette player from Crazy Eddie)
toyota_corolla_80_861_15.jpg
 
My first car was a `58 Impala ragtop, with a 348 tri-power engine, 4-speed, and a Posi rear. It was a lot of car for a young kid, but I learned it`s limits (as well as my own) pretty quickly.

index.php


index.php


Color and stance reminds me of those CHP Buicks on "Highway Patrol" afternoon channel 13 reruns. TV was my baby sitter. :D

EDIT: Dig those vintage cueing marks! Haven't seen that in decades!

 
Do you still have this gem?
Corrosion was the Achille`s Heel of most early imports. It was not unusual for them to develop through-and-through perforation rust before the payments were finished....this is why Ziebart (remember them ?) became such a big business.
 
Back
Top Bottom