• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What's the most coherent sounding 2-way speakers you've ever heard ?

What about the Acoustat 0ne plus 0ne. This is a single element (two identical panels per speaker) which are driven by two transformers which cover two ranges and have associated crossovers. I have no idea if that fits with what the OP had in mind but they are very coherent loudspeakers. While the panels are full range they are driven by two different sources. Best regards Moray James.
 
DCM TimeWindow 3's - when driven with 200~700 watts, RMS.

Less than 200 watts, and you have not heard what they can do.

.
 
Driver integration top to bottom. A seemless sound as if it is emanating from a single point source instead of, in this thread's instance, 2 different drivers.

Another current speaker that's very coherent is the PSB Synchrony OneB stand mount. Beautiful speaker.
 
Driver integration top to bottom. A seemless sound as if it is emanating from a single point source instead of, in this thread's instance, 2 different drivers.

Another current speaker that's very coherent is the PSB Synchrony OneB stand mount. Beautiful speaker.

Well, to some extent that depends on the distance from the auditor. You can't sit 3 feet away and expect 'seamlessness' from any system. I suppose most speakers are very coherent if you place them at the the ideal position.
 
I'm fairly certain the OP was not referring to phase/time coherence, although a bit of that couldn't hurt. Btw, 3 feet is not too close for a well-designed 2-way to sum into a virtual point source, unless it's very large.
 
I'm fairly certain the OP was not referring to phase/time coherence, although a bit of that couldn't hurt. Btw, 3 feet is not too close for a well-designed 2-way to sum into a virtual point source, unless it's very large.

Six feet is probably the best starting point for most speakers in a listening room. Closer than that is a crapshoot.
 
I'm fairly certain the OP was not referring to phase/time coherence, although a bit of that couldn't hurt. Btw, 3 feet is not too close for a well-designed 2-way to sum into a virtual point source, unless it's very large.

From the above linked 6-moons article, this kind of sums up what I've referred to as coherence.

"Coherent driver integration: As the recording mic is composed of a single diaphragm, it is by definition phase-coherent. In order for a multiple-transducer speaker system to behave as a focused point-source array, the drivers all must be in phase, so that the acoustic pressure mimics a one-way system using a single diaphragm. Forcing multiple drivers to start and stop together is a formidable task, compounded by the fact that the woofers and tweeters have different masses, suspension compliances, and sensitivities. Our proprietary Global Axis Integration Network corrects the driver responses, ensuring coherent sound and a thrilling multi-dimensional sound stage"
 
From the above linked 6-moons article, this kind of sums up what I've referred to as coherence.

"Coherent driver integration: As the recording mic is composed of a single diaphragm, it is by definition phase-coherent. In order for a multiple-transducer speaker system to behave as a focused point-source array, the drivers all must be in phase, so that the acoustic pressure mimics a one-way system using a single diaphragm. Forcing multiple drivers to start and stop together is a formidable task, compounded by the fact that the woofers and tweeters have different masses, suspension compliances, and sensitivities. Our proprietary Global Axis Integration Network corrects the driver responses, ensuring coherent sound and a thrilling multi-dimensional sound stage"

Well, as I said I am familiar with the British stuff. The LS3/5a is highly regarded by some (not by me) precisely for the traits you are asking about. But (and this is important!) I would never own them despite their 'coherence' because of the inherent limitations of such designs. Spendor, Harbeth, and other British firms make such small two-way systems that are probably the best two-ways available, but beware the limitations: Mahler's 10th or Beethoven's 9th won't sound good on them. You can find LS3/5a's on e-bay starting about $1200. There are better speakers, though.
 
Last edited:
That is not the topic of this thread. You already have two strikes. Either stay on topic or don't post.

Most good-quality speakers are 'coherent' when set up properly. It's not always just a property of the speaker, but of the room and distance, etc. The question makes assumptions which require clarification and explanation: it is not the speaker alone that is responsible for 'coherence'. A lot of questions on forums are like this. they rest on assumptions that are only partly understood. In some speakers (read 'cheap') the drivers are often not well matched, crossovers are less than ideal, etc. The result is a sonic presentation that lacks 'coherence'. Any good ('not cheap') speaker these days should be 'coherent' when set up properly. You may need to experiment with placement, stands, etc.

If you put a gun to my head and asked about a specific product, I would say the LS3/5a, with certain reservations.

Here is a site with loads of info:

http://www.ls35a.com/

I don't know about prices, though.
 
Last edited:
My ProAc Response 1SC's. Currently using them in a near-field listening setup. Mated with tubed equipment only.
 
I think I mentioned my Morel USA/Renaissance Audio Preludes. I've been interested in the Odyssey Audio Lorelei and the Salk Songbird (and the MTM version, the Songtower).

There's also the Morel USA/Renaissance Audio duets, the Fritz Carbon 7 and Fritz Grove, and Totem Arro and Totem Staaf and Totem Forest.

I've been a big 3-way fan but there's also magic to a well-designed 2-way and I think I'm a bit swayed as of late.
 
Out of all my speaker systems only two are two way. I like big speakers and I like (put on fire suit) the "real" studio monitor sound. I have a pair of 604-8G's that do many things well but my favorite two ways are my JBL 4435's. They sound good at low levels and have plenty of get up and go when you want it. They're large format but they are about as smooth and neutral as any two way I've heard, all the way through.

I am with you on this. Really like the JBL 4430/35 and Altec 19's for 2-ways,
Everything else just seems to "polite":yes:

JMO
 
Back
Top Bottom