• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What's the most coherent sounding 2-way speakers you've ever heard ?

For me it's my Decware DM945's The are a bookshelf size speaker with a 8" full range driver and a planar tweeter crossed over with only a capacitor. They don't go really, really deep but satisfyingly so.....I have a pair of Snell type J's that I am rebuilding, I am anxiuos to hear how they compare....
 
Still my Advent /3s. I know there's better out there, but out of my 7 or 8 pairs of 2-ways, they win.

Sansui SP30s sound very coherent, but I feel like they should be disqualified, since they are a 1.5 way speaker (woofer runs full range). They're like a full range speaker with a super tweeter on top. Great imaging, probably better than my Advents, and a nice midrange, but no bass and super rolled off the top. Maybe with a wood subwoofer...
 
Pretty dang coherent and best of the recent bunch I've heard:

Morel/Renaissance Audio Prelude
Morel/Renaissance Audio Duet
Merlin TSM
 
Altec 605 and Linn Kan/Tukan. I've always thought my Large Advents did the coherence thing right, especially with Peter Basel's baffle step compensation circuit in the mix.
 
I haven't heard the horn two-ways that are so well thought of in forty years, so I still have the idea that those are the best. I'd like to hear those Voice Of The Theatre again. Nobody sells them around here. I saw a pair of Valencia speakers for $1000 on Craig's List so I didn't bother. Besides, they are big. I'd have to really do some fast talking if I lugged those into the living room.
 
Unfortunately the laws of physics don't change over time and cannot be argued away. A small light diaphragm can start and stop faster than a big heavy one. That's really all there is to it, and that's why combining the midrange with a woofer will always result in compromising something, somewhere. A three-way, properly designed, will always sound better than a two-way, all things being equal. At one point I was curious about the Spendor speakers, and arranged to hear the SP1/2, which are very similar in design to the Rogers Studio 1s. I heard essentially the same sort of sound, and did not buy them.

The Spendor SP 1/2:
http://www.regonaudio.com/SpendorSP12Loudspeakers.html

The Rogers Studio 1:

http://domuya.music.coocan.jp/blog/images/20080719rogersstudio1a.jpg

The designs are almost identical.

There is no doubt that the SP 1/2 is an excellent speaker. But it cannot begin to compare with the NS-1000.


Old post now but this was a 2 way speaker thread, not a 3 way.

Anyway, I just want to put it out to Thero. I've heard most British speakers including the Japanese NS series of speakers. The NS1000 imaged very well. Have a fantastic sound stage but they lacked bottom end bass due to the sealed enclosure and were a bit boring. Every speaker has it's compromises.
I have a pair of Rogers Studio 1's in my vintage system and I think they sound fantastic in my smallish 6 x 4 meters room. They're time capsules. Everyone that hears them, loves them. I'm currently in the decision of upgrading my other newer system with purchasing newer set of speakers.
 
I really like threads like this. It goes to show that everybody hears things differently and that there is no wrong answer, if paramemeters are met.
 
Back in the 90's I got to hear a pair of Sonus Faber Extrema's powered by Mark Levinson electronics. Fantastic sound!
In the same store I heard the Sonus Faber Electa's which I ended up buying. Great 2 way speaker.
 
YGA Cairn's -keep stopping in to listen to these -will never be able to afford a pair but over the range they cover -the most perfect loudspeaker I've ever heard.Hegel electronics probably didn't hurt the experience.
 
Dynaco A25. My recapped pair amaze me. It took a month after installing the new caps to fully wake up, but once done they truly are great speakers.

Another is KLH Model Twenty Three. Again, recapped and then redoped, they're big and heavy, but an underrated and undervalued speaker.

For big ones, the Valencia by Altec are excellent. I'm told the Altec 19 is much better, but I've never heard them. Mine are gone now, but they're still missed.
 
Back
Top Bottom