• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What's your "go to song" to test bass in your rig?

Modern hi-res (e.g., Blu-ray's DTS-HD MA 5.1) recordings of music that involves pipe organ. For example, Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, Saint-Saëns Symphony No. 3 (Organ Symphony), etc.

An orchestra's double bass, bass drum, and Mahler hammer are also capable of significant bass power - again when delivered via a modern hi-res recording.

For a test of overall dynamic range, including bass, a modern hi-res recording of Mahler Symphony 2. Set the volume to an appropriate level for the beginning of movement 4, and then hear how well your hi-fi system handles movement 5.
 
51k23T0mBQL._SX425_.jpg


Mino Cinelu - self titled. Second cut, Moun Madinina - Insane wall-rocking bass if your system's up to it.
 
I like this one:

The bass is somehow recorded to sound HUGE in a way that I don't hear on other records and because it's an acoustic upright bass it has a certain texture that's more difficult to reproduce (I think anyway) than an electric bass. It's a more nuanced complex sound with more overtones.
 
Jennifer Warnes - Way Down Deep

Joni Mitchell - Overture/Cotton Avenue, where Jaco Pastorius drops in to say hello...

Actually, I think Jaco's work throughout Joni's "Hejira" album does a good job of exploring bass tones. I just usually forget what I am doing, and just end up listening to Joni...
 


Cat People (David Bowie) from the movie and usually some songs by Muse or Nine Inch Nails are my tests.
 
Last edited:
I use these songs to tune the bass with 2 subs in my 2.1 system. I also use these and a couple of other songs on the same album to tune separate bullet horn tweeters to widen the soundstage and emphasize the cymbals.
 
Back
Top Bottom