• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What's your "go to song" to test bass in your rig?

J.S. Bach: Toccata and Fugue 1709

Nothing produces bass like a mid-evil steam organ, kind of shows a person what they don’t have in speaker capability and why a TOTL Yamaha EQ is necessary to tame down full spectrum speakers.
 
J.S. Bach: Toccata and Fugue 1709
a TOTL Yamaha EQ is necessary to tame down full spectrum speakers.

That's not correct. Please be specific as to which "full spectrum" speakers need to be "tamed". And, exactly what is "taming" a speaker?

Any good full spectrum speaker doesn't need taming with an equalizer or anything else.

I don't know about you, but I use measurements to set and adjust whatever adjustments my system needs for flatter in room response.
 
Kind of fun, but a little techno for my taste :)

Haha, admittedly I am somewhat "omnivorous" when it comes to music.
Back in the mid to late 80's (before the internet) when we were limited to whatever cassettes you and your friends could get your hands on, bass testing for us went something like this:

To see if the sub can recover/reproduce quickly enough (i.e. not too sloppy):

Metallica - One
Metallica - The Frayed Ends of Sanity

To see if the sub could carry out low frequency response with authority we would use whatever rap you could find (warning, explicit), a couple I can remember having access to:

2 Live Crew - Megamix 3
Eric B. and Rakim - Chinese Arithmetic

Non Rap:

Enya - The Longships

The early 90's brought these to the bass testing arena if memory serves:

Firehouse - Rock on the Radio
DJ Magic Mike - Feel the Bass III
Sarah McLachlan - Into the Fire

Lately when looking for a good bass fix I throw on:

Apocalypse Orchestra - The Garden of Earthly Delights

(the following is Dubstep/EDM)
Excision - The Paradox
Party Favor - Bap U (Not Sorry Remix)
Dirtyphonics - Hoverboard
Knife Party - Bonfire (from "Breaking Bad" soundtrack)

I typically don't have anything from pre-80's for bass recommendations, as it used to be hard to find good recordings. Not that there aren't any, I am just not familiar with them.
 
Morphine - Top Floor Bottom Buzzer

Here is a Youtube vid but the bass doesnt even come close to the CD. You have to hear it on CD to get how deep it is. On a side note, out of the times I saw these guys play, one time Dana Colley wheeled out a contrabass sax on a big stand. A lot of it you felt in your chest but couldnt hear. Wild stuff- no way to record and reproduce that!

 
Morphine - Top Floor Bottom Buzzer

Here is a Youtube vid but the bass doesnt even come close to the CD. You have to hear it on CD to get how deep it is. On a side note, out of the times I saw these guys play, one time Dana Colley wheeled out a contrabass sax on a big stand. A lot of it you felt in your chest but couldnt hear. Wild stuff- no way to record and reproduce that!


I'm not concerned about the quality of the YouTube stream. I like that selection enough to buy the CD and discover what else I might like. Any band that has a Contra Bass Sax piques my interest. It's now on my Amazon next order list. Thanks for the tip.:thumbsup:
 
I'm not an audiophile by any means, or a techie-phile. I think the best test is what you normally listen to. If that sounds good, then there you go. I know one person said they are a music 'omnivore'. That may be harder because bluegrass may not sound as accurate, or good on a system as techno. Then, adjust with an Eq if you have it. Just my 2 cents.

Perry
 
Morphine - Top Floor Bottom Buzzer

Here is a Youtube vid but the bass doesnt even come close to the CD. You have to hear it on CD to get how deep it is. On a side note, out of the times I saw these guys play, one time Dana Colley wheeled out a contrabass sax on a big stand. A lot of it you felt in your chest but couldnt hear. Wild stuff- no way to record and reproduce that!

OK, you got my interest as well - I like the sound of these guys!
 
OK, you got my interest as well - I like the sound of these guys!

Im glad they used to play New Orleans where I went to college a lot those years as I saw them every time they came to town. I still think they are one of the most original bands of all time. Mark Sandman was a genius. If you can ever find bootlegs (they never made an album) of his Hypnosonics stuff its worth checking out too. Big sound for a 2 string bass, barritone sax and drums.
 
I like Come Together.
Good choice!
I love hearing all kinds of bass in a system, from classic rock, to jazz stand up bass to electronica and beyond.

What is your go to song to check for bass in your system or that you simply enjoy the bass lines?

Thanks.
395390_9497060_wave_L.png
 
I'm surprised no one mentioned this tune. John Paul masterful Bluesy bass riffs. Robert Ludwig mastered, Monarch pressing is an absolute! Must have good bass to do Mr Jones justice. :thumbsup: :)

Fun begins at 3:00.
 
Last edited:
Im glad they used to play New Orleans where I went to college a lot those years as I saw them every time they came to town. I still think they are one of the most original bands of all time. Mark Sandman was a genius. If you can ever find bootlegs (they never made an album) of his Hypnosonics stuff its worth checking out too. Big sound for a 2 string bass, barritone sax and drums.

Treat Her Right was another excellent band with Mark Sandman. They sound a lot like early Morphine.
 
I dont know if anyone have mention but I heard a band from Mali called Super Rail Band. There is a track called Mansa which I think sound great with some nice bass extensions.
 
The descending synth run bottoms out somewhere around 30Hz. It repeats numerous times throughout the track giving ample opportunity to dial in and/or position your sub. Plus the whole track has a huge soundstage. Best if streamed hi res or as a .flac. This MP4 is a little lossy, but you get the idea.
 
Back
Top Bottom