• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Which AKers are surfers?Local break pictures please.

Check out this beautiful point break north of San Francisco Bay, called Double Point. This is the north point of a small bay. The little lake above the cove is beautiful. To its south is another point break with both a left and a right point break peeling off of it. To me, it looks like paradise.
You norther's ever surfed here, or here of anyone doing so?
Follow the souteast-1 button to get to the other southern point breaks associated with it.
http://www.californiacoastline.org/...e=200400050&mode=sequential&flags=0&year=2004
 
I hold no argument with surfers who balk at riding huge or even big waves.It's all to do with one of the most basic urges that we possess.

The urge to survive. :yes:

Exposure to the power inherent in waves(even 6 foot and less) gives us pause.Surfing involves three unavoidable elements;Exertion.The Ride.The beating.

The beating can be punishing in average sized waves.The beating in big waves grows exponentially and also usually entails multi-wave hold-downs.Undoubtedly a life threatening situation.I have found myself at the point of complete and utter exhaustion(to the point of lingering on the absolute brink of passing-out)in big waves at the Left break in the photos,and count myself lucky to have survived that session.

Surfing is a pastime where one can quickly find oneself outside of one's ability to deal with a situation which is turning potentially deadly.Situations where having put one's self into the situation,one finds themselves in a situation that one's wishes that they weren't in.That is not a good place in which to be.

Caution and consideration are better exercised before paddling-out,rather than regret and potentially panic, later.

Very well said. I've always loved watching surfers, but I know I'm not one. I've never been a very strong swimmer, but I've made myself do it several times through life. I think I'm too skinny, & don't have enough body fat to be properly bouyant. :scratch2:
 
Check out this beautiful point break north of San Francisco Bay, called Double Point. This is the north point of a small bay. The little lake above the cove is beautiful. To its south is another point break with both a left and a right point break peeling off of it. To me, it looks like paradise.
You norther's ever surfed here, or here of anyone doing so?
Follow the souteast-1 button to get to the other southern point breaks associated with it.
http://www.californiacoastline.org/...e=200400050&mode=sequential&flags=0&year=2004

I've used that site to scout surf and abalone diving spots. Cool stuff.
 
I always wanted to surf Malibu, but every time I went there, there were hundreds of people out in the water; way too crowded. So my buddy and I started going up there at night, and night surfing. On clear nights the lights from the Malibu pier and the LA city lights were enough to be able to see the waves. When you were on the wave, you were in motion towards the LA lights, and could see all the detail of the wave. It was an interesting experience.
 
I always wanted to surf Malibu, but every time I went there, there were hundreds of people out in the water; way too crowded. So my buddy and I started going up there at night, and night surfing. On clear nights the lights from the Malibu pier and the LA city lights were enough to be able to see the waves. When you were on the wave, you were in motion towards the LA lights, and could see all the detail of the wave. It was an interesting experience.

I have friends who do the same thing here. :D
 
The closest thing we have to surfing out here in New Mexico, is watching the drunks 'wipe-out' off their bar stools.

Steve
 
Too funny, gearhound!

I have friends who do the same thing here. :D

You start to believe in sea monsters out there at night!
When I moved down to Laguna Beach, I met up with another surfer from the San Juan Capistrano area, and we did a bunch of surfing together. He was a life long surfer and local to the area, as was his dad before him; in fact his dad was one of the original california surfers, predating WWII.
At any rate,... we went to go night surfing at Trestles point, which is actually an area with three point breaks, Upper Trestles (a right and left), Lower Trestles (a right), and Cottons Point (a left). We opted to surf Cottons Point that night, as you could get the city lights from San Clemente.
My buddy lost his board, and was swimming into shore to get it. I was outside watching for waves when a fin popped up, and started slowly moving my way. It kept coming straight for me, and I freaked out and proned out on my board to get my legs out of the water, not wanting to get them bit off.
Well the fin kept getting closer and closer until it was really close to me, when suddenly a big burst of air, straight up,... WTF? Oh, it was just a dolphin. But I'll tell you what, even realizing that, I couldn't get over the scare of it for the longest time. It scared the crap out of me.
 
Another sea monster story to relate,....
This same friend and I would go down to San Onofre State Beach camping area (south of the infamous longboarding break - less crowded). We were also with my brother (real common for us to all surf together).
San Onofre, down that far, is mostly sandbar breaks, with lots of different peaks coming and going with the changing tides. I'd become separated from my bro and friend by a different peaking wave area sandbar section. I was sitting there waiting for a wave when I felt something really big bump my leg quite hard. Within a minute or so later, it hit me again, and started rising up my leg, and suddenly emerged right there to my right, against my leg, and it just kept on rising up. I'm once again thinking, SHARK!
It was a giant elephant seal. We were looking at each other, the seal and myself, and I freaked out and started paddling away as quickly as I could, just yelling and carrying on. Well, my brother and friend had not seen what I'd witnessed, and they were laughing at me, calling me a wimp, and all kinds of chiding. So we were back together as a group, and they were still chuckling when the damn thing came over and did the same thing to my buddy. It came up right between my brother and friend, and freaked them right out, and both of them went paddling away with the same reaction that I'd had. We all ended up on the beach edge just rolling around in the sand laughing so hard that we were crying.
There are sea monsters out there.
 
Too funny, gearhound!



You start to believe in sea monsters out there at night!
When I moved down to Laguna Beach, I met up with another surfer from the San Juan Capistrano area, and we did a bunch of surfing together. He was a life long surfer and local to the area, as was his dad before him; in fact his dad was one of the original california surfers, predating WWII.
At any rate,... we went to go night surfing at Trestles point, which is actually an area with three point breaks, Upper Trestles (a right and left), Lower Trestles (a right), and Cottons Point (a left). We opted to surf Cottons Point that night, as you could get the city lights from San Clemente.
My buddy lost his board, and was swimming into shore to get it. I was outside watching for waves when a fin popped up, and started slowly moving my way. It kept coming straight for me, and I freaked out and proned out on my board to get my legs out of the water, not wanting to get them bit off.
Well the fin kept getting closer and closer until it was really close to me, when suddenly a big burst of air, straight up,... WTF? Oh, it was just a dolphin. But I'll tell you what, even realizing that, I couldn't get over the scare of it for the longest time. It scared the crap out of me.

If anyone thinks that the dolphin was the only thing out there,they'd be wrong.

You would have had quite a bit of the 'wildlife' interested in you,because 'they' all know that humans don't usually inhabit the water after dark.

When we are on their turf, they are watching us more than we are watching them.
 
Another sea monster story to relate,....
This same friend and I would go down to San Onofre State Beach camping area (south of the infamous longboarding break - less crowded). We were also with my brother (real common for us to all surf together).
San Onofre, down that far, is mostly sandbar breaks, with lots of different peaks coming and going with the changing tides. I'd become separated from my bro and friend by a different peaking wave area sandbar section. I was sitting there waiting for a wave when I felt something really big bump my leg quite hard. Within a minute or so later, it hit me again, and started rising up my leg, and suddenly emerged right there to my right, against my leg, and it just kept on rising up. I'm once again thinking, SHARK!
It was a giant elephant seal. We were looking at each other, the seal and myself, and I freaked out and started paddling away as quickly as I could, just yelling and carrying on. Well, my brother and friend had not seen what I'd witnessed, and they were laughing at me, calling me a wimp, and all kinds of chiding. So we were back together as a group, and they were still chuckling when the damn thing came over and did the same thing to my buddy. It came up right between my brother and friend, and freaked them right out, and both of them went paddling away with the same reaction that I'd had. We all ended up on the beach edge just rolling around in the sand laughing so hard that we were crying.
There are sea monsters out there.

Sheeit!!

I think that I'd rather deal with a shark.At least they are somewhat predictable.I wouldn't know what an elephant seal would do.

Mind you, when you started relaying that something big bumped into your leg and rising-up,I was fearful that we'd be hearing a story about the fabled one eyed trouser snake.... :smoke: :D
 
There is spot called Cowells in Santa Cruz by the wharf/boardwalk, it's a mellow wave. On a really good south swell I've ridden waves that went 400+ yards. During the summer the place is a mad house, with tourists, kooks, surf schools, locals and us old guys. Fortunately it's a large area, but still can be frustrating.

When the human crowd is thin the local sea life comes to life. Dolphins, seals, sea lions, otters, and balls of anchovies. A month ago on the other side of the wharf in deeper water there were grey whales feeding. I've been in the same spot kayaking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoP1N0OyFic

I've surfed this spot at night. The area is essentially surrounded on three sides by lights, the wharf, hotels/shops and street/homes. It's still spooky, paddling around in the dark.

Here is one of many banners, this one showing Cowells for the Santa Cruz Chapter of Surfrider Foundation web site. This is from a design I did pro bono in 2006, which won best Surfrider site that year. It beat out all national and international chapter sites. Surfrider Foundation would adopt this design prior to the current one.

banner_surfing_cowells1.jpg
 
Last edited:
Here is another web site I designed and built. It's for a surfer/photographer friend. He captures a lot of beautiful images around Santa Cruz and Baja, Mexico. His dad is Howard McGhee Sr. One of first be-bop musicians who played with the best. Fats, Dizzy, Hampton, Basie, Parker.

http://www.bootsite.net/index.html
 
Here is another web site I designed and built. It's for a surfer/photographer friend. He captures a lot of beautiful images around Santa Cruz and Baja, Mexico. His dad is Howard McGhee Sr. One of first be-bop musicians who played with the best. Fats, Dizzy, Hampton, Basie, Parker.

http://www.bootsite.net/index.html

Have you seen the photos of 'Buttrock' on that site? :D
 
I grew up in south Orange County, and my dad surfed, so in elementary school I had a custom longboard and surfed all those longboard hotspots like Doheny, San Onofre, etc. Realized I like being dry and warm in Jr. High and just stuck with skateboarding since then.

Fast forward about 15 years, here I am in San Francisco, living one block from Ocean Beach. One of my roommates convinced me to paddle out a couple months ago. It took about 15 minutes for me to get out, and I was so tired by that time I only caught about 3 waves and rode one in. Ocean Beach is NO FUN.

I'd like to check out the jetty at Half Moon Bay and Bolinas, as they look quite a bit mellower and don't close out as much as OB. My math teacher recommended Cowells, so maybe I'll have to head down to SC next summer.

Ah yes, here's a nice photo of San Onofre:

san-onofre-power-plant.jpg
 
I grew up in south Orange County, and my dad surfed, so in elementary school I had a custom longboard and surfed all those longboard hotspots like Doheny, San Onofre, etc. Realized I like being dry and warm in Jr. High and just stuck with skateboarding since then.

Fast forward about 15 years, here I am in San Francisco, living one block from Ocean Beach. One of my roommates convinced me to paddle out a couple months ago. It took about 15 minutes for me to get out, and I was so tired by that time I only caught about 3 waves and rode one in. Ocean Beach is NO FUN.

I'd like to check out the jetty at Half Moon Bay and Bolinas, as they look quite a bit mellower and don't close out as much as OB. My math teacher recommended Cowells, so maybe I'll have to head down to SC next summer.

Ah yes, here's a nice photo of San Onofre:

san-onofre-power-plant.jpg

Jeez.That girl has huge implants.
 
Back
Top Bottom