• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Which JBL Model are these?

Canuck57

Active Member
Can anyone identify which model these JBL speakers are? Also please comment on their sound quality.

Thanks
 

Attachments

  • JBL Front.jpeg
    JBL Front.jpeg
    36 KB · Views: 199
Register to hide this ad
JBL L 60T's I believe.

My brother in law bought a pair back in the early/mid 80's and ran them with a Luxman receiver. They we ok I guess but I was not bowled over by them.

RC
 
yup, l60t.

forgot to comment ...


ok, but not the best jbls . well worth the $20 +new foam ,but not the best speaker i own, but then again , a sub-par
jbl is still a great freakin' speaker!
 
Last edited:
Those are excellent two-way towers. The drivers are used in a Studio Monitor series as well. The speakers are very accurate, with a titanium dome driver for the high frequencies. Some people find them a little harsh, but I love the sound of mine. These are not party speakers, so don't expect a lot of heavy bass.

The speakers are very accurate and will reveal any source limitations, so be prepared to have some of your music sound at least different, if not downright bad. If you have a good amp and a good source, your best recordings will sound wonderful, revealing sonic information you may have never heard before.

The tweeters are no longer in production and are going up in value, so if you get these speakers, make sure that all of the drivers work before purchase and that you protect the tweeters after.

Man, these L series JBLs are falling off the trees right now!
 
Last edited:
That's a pair of L60Ts, all right. Unfortunately, with non-original woofers. The original woofer should be a cast-frame 8"... that's a cheap stamped-frame woofer in the OP picture...

These speakers should have JBL model 116H-1 or 116H-2 woofers in them... quite good woofers.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Last edited:
good call , those look like radio shack woofers to me. the refoam on
mine was a pain . i had to trim a 1/2" or so and splice the mat foams.
still, not the worst speaker i own.
 
That's a pair of L60Ts, all right. Unfortunately, with non-original woofers. The original woofer should be a cast-frame 8"... that's a cheap stamped-frame woofer in the OP picture...

These speakers should have JBL model 116H-1 or 116H-2 woofers in them... quite good woofers.

Regards,
Gordon.

Thanks for pointing that out, I appreciate it. And thanks for all the other comments...think I'll pass on them...
 
Shame those woofers got tossed instead of re-foamed. The re-foam was a little tricky with the behind-the-cone mounting, but I am VERY happy with my L80Ts. (And the new foams are still breaking in).

If they can be had for a good deal I think they are probably even worth restoring to the original woofers. I like the cabinets, (besides the rear port) and the crossover is pretty beefy.

I'd hate to see them stripped for the tweets.
 
good call , those look like radio shack woofers to me. the refoam on
mine was a pain . i had to trim a 1/2" or so and splice the mat foams.
still, not the worst speaker i own.

Wouldn't have been a pain if you didn't cheap out on the foam surrounds rather than getting exact replacements :nono:
 
If all they need is the proper woofer(s), those pop up on eBay quite often. In fact, just about anything you need to fix a member of the L-series is found on the net without too much trouble, and prices are pretty reasonable to.

If those L60Ts are in otherwise good shape, and the price is right, I would pick them up, and fix whatever is wrong with them.

I've owned a pair of L60Ts since new in 1988 (cost me $800 back then), and am very fond of them.
 
To me, the saddest thing is seeing otherwise fixable classic JBL speakers either parted out, or discarded altogether. Unless the cabinets are well and truly destroyed, the speakers should be repaired, and then enjoyed! They don't make 'em like they used to.

I bought a 2nd set of L80Ts for parts, to fix my first pair. Then wound up fixing up the "donor" set, so now I have two good pairs. Now both of them are sitting in the basement, patiently waiting for the day I will use them. Hopefully our next house is big enough!:D
 
"Wouldn't have been a pain if you didn't cheap out on the foam surrounds rather than getting exact replacements "

I didn't know there were hard to get real ones to be got . The ones I have sound perfect. I did not cheap out ...
 
Apologize to Karlo, Byrd. :nono:

We each do the best we know how with the resources available to us.

And we redo stuff when we learn better, as warranted. :yes:

[Now, where would Karlo find those "correct" $5/pair foams again...? ;) ]
 
If all they need is the proper woofer(s), those pop up on eBay quite often. In fact, just about anything you need to fix a member of the L-series is found on the net without too much trouble, and prices are pretty reasonable to.

If those L60Ts are in otherwise good shape, and the price is right, I would pick them up, and fix whatever is wrong with them.

I've owned a pair of L60Ts since new in 1988 (cost me $800 back then), and am very fond of them.

I would also think twice before passing. As you know, AK is a great resource and I would bet that if you hang out here long enough and search your local CL and auction sites, a pair of woofers will turn up, priced right.
 
I would also think twice before passing. As you know, AK is a great resource and I would bet that if you hang out here long enough and search your local CL and auction sites, a pair of woofers will turn up, priced right.
Normally I would agree, but the reality is these often sell in the $50 range complete needing nothing but re-surround. Even the larger, much more highly regarded L80T often doesn't crack the century mark and you will always find the L60T taking a back-seat to nearly anything else in that JBL L-T family, including the smaller L20T. If you want L60Ts, just buy a complete pair and don't bother with these. If you want to make money off them, then research what the tweeters alone are worth and make your own decision to part, or not. Waiting for woofers to show up is a fools game on this pair, IMNSHO. :thumbsdn:
 
Wouldn't have been a pain if you didn't cheap out on the foam surrounds rather than getting exact replacements :nono:

Unfortunately, impossible. JBL does not sell refoams, and doesnt sell recone kits to anyone but official repair stations. So the best you can do is probably with Looneytunes.....exact replacements dont exist.

Russellc
 
Normally I would agree, but the reality is these often sell in the $50 range complete needing nothing but re-surround. Even the larger, much more highly regarded L80T often doesn't crack the century mark and you will always find the L60T taking a back-seat to nearly anything else in that JBL L-T family, including the smaller L20T. If you want L60Ts, just buy a complete pair and don't bother with these. If you want to make money off them, then research what the tweeters alone are worth and make your own decision to part, or not. Waiting for woofers to show up is a fools game on this pair, IMNSHO. :thumbsdn:

As I have not heard all of the L series, I don't know how the L60Ts stack up against the others. You are probably right regarding the value of these as an investment. However, I like to rescue speakers as long as the cost is not too high, especially if I know that I will enjoy their sound or if they are well regarded. That gives me a chance to expand my audio experience. OP beware, my opinions do come from a different point of view, not purely as an investment or even from the most logical position - I like orphans!
 
Back
Top Bottom