• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Who here on AK is using 3D printed parts?

Just picked up a Larger 3d printer. Seems to work really well Creality Ender 5 series printer.

Need to print a 3 - inch riser for the top, to keep the cabling clear of the plexiglass cover.
 

Attachments

  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 33
I print on Creality K1 whatever is appropriate, with PETG.
PLA is prone to deformation at temperature above 55C, it even warps at direct sunlight.
Design is done with FreeCAD.
 

Attachments

  • 25-06-24 20-40-39 0729.jpg
    25-06-24 20-40-39 0729.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 25-06-26 19-41-55 0733.jpg
    25-06-26 19-41-55 0733.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 27
I don't know why so many people still use PLA. It's not any cheaper than other filaments that hold up much better over temperature.
 
I've printed gears for my lathe:

fr_94.jpg

fr_95.jpg

Been running that way for several years now. No signs of wearing and it took the "ringing" noise out of the gear train. ABS print.

Assorted bits for building slot car tracks:

fr_2.jpg

That's pretty much all PLA printed. Mostly because that;s what I started learning with.

RC cars/trucks:

fr_5121.jpg

Bits for audio:

fr_167.jpg

fr_5169.jpgfr_5170.jpg

And all kinds of other stuff. One of the other places I use it is restoring vintage sewing machines. They started using a lot of nylon gearing in teh 80's+ and once they crack, you have to make new ones. 3D printer is perfect for that.

I primarily print in ABS. Gave up PLA years ago. Abs is a little trickier to print with, but it has advantages over PLA.

3d printing is great for those little bits and pieces that tie all your other things together.

Places like thingiverse is a free to download repository where you can find lots of objects. Chances are if you need it, someone else does too and they may have already made it. TinkerCad is a good free site for beginners to play around building stuff without having to know CAD. Other than that, you pretty much need to learn CAD.

3D prited pars are not for everything, but there are places where it's just right.

My printer started out as a Creality CR10 V2. First add was a BLTouch sensor. Then an E3D Titan direct extruder made it a V3. An E3D Volcano hot end followed to keep up with larger diameter nozzles, then a stainless print bed and finally a custom firmware version of Marlin made it what it is today. Also has an enclosure to make for stable temps when printing ABS.
 
Last edited:
Had the file since 2022 but got the Kenwood KD-600 dust cover hinge printed today at my brother’s. My hinges have been reinforced before they broke but I have another set that are broken. If I can reassemble the hinge,, I’ll get another piece printed and have some working hinges. Good visit with my brother today as he talked about the metrology gear he bought a week or so ago at an auction. Measuring to .0001 in. Don’t know if I have to have that but pretty cool.
 
My printer has a 300x300x695 mm build envelope, enclosed, and heated. I sometimes print lamps:

1756777375584.png double twist lamp.jpg

fractal lamp.jpg white julia lamp.jpg

Here's one on the printer:

lamp on printer.jpg

And I print a lot of other stuff, as needed, such as parts for this diaphragm film dispenser and stretcher for Quad ESL-63 electrostatic drivers:

applying film to stretcher.jpg

Toys for Ms. Kitty: https://photos.app.goo.gl/bQgrLhTrsug1RbCdA

Replacement switch caps:

replacement switch caps.jpg

A fender mount for my bike:

1756778921044.png

And thousands of other things over the last 12 years or so that I've been building printers and printing with them.
 
Finally printed some brown TPU feet for the Quad ESL-63 stands. The shade is pretty close to the wood panels at the top and bottom of the driver enclosure. It looks a little better than the original fluorescent yellow feet.

Quad ESL-63 stands with brown feet.jpg
 
Fresh off the fdm printer:

IMG_9250.jpeg

needed a bracket for a stylus timer and some lighting.

Intended location:

IMG_9251.jpeg

still needs post print processing. Probably got a little too fancy with the details for a .4 nozzle and could have chosen better print plate positioning to deal with some of the abs shrinkage.

I might do another with a cleaner, simpler design.
 
Decided to just toss the first attempt.
now going for a mounting box behind the preamp:

timer box.jpeg

Thrown together quickly on tinkercad. Tinkercad is just easier for simple things like this.

open space below is for the cables for the preamp to pass through so the box can sit close to the pre.

20 hr print underway….
 
I used the printer at work to make record clamps:
 
I used the printer at work to make record clamps:
I'd probably design for and print with TPU, using a slightly oversized hole with a few crush ribs to grab the spindle. All one piece!
 
I keep getting ribbed about this print.

This was a really fun print. Not my design, available on makerworld.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2169.jpg
    IMG_2169.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 22
Another 3D project today. The Sansui 5500 I'm working on had a broken face plate mounting tab. Pretty quick to draw one up on FreeCAD and I printed it with PETG. Drops right in . . . not as refined as the original, but nobody will see it anyway.

20251014_151127.jpg

1760472341930.png
 
Missed this thread :idea:

Anyway, I have been installing "prototype" 3D printed metal parts on old obsolete Navy gear that has not been supported for decades. The Gov is finally running out of parts.

So far so good :thumbsup:
 
I am making a new sand table and printed these mounts for the servomotors. They fit on the 2040 V-slot rail perfectly.

arrakis 3.0 printed motor mounts.jpg


One of two printed belt clamps that will mount on a linear guide bearing block. The slot is just wide enough for the belt teeth to engage.
arrakis 3.0 printed belt clamp.jpg
 
Last edited:
I recently started playing with TPU, and have printed out replacement pads for some Dytex vises I have (old ones were likely from the 70s or 80s and were quite dried out/hardened/beaten up). I've since gotten some gray filament and printed them again, but haven't taken any photos of the gray ones. I'm impressed with the material's toughness, but it remains to be seen how they'll hold up.

I printed them face down figuring that would give stronger fronts resulting in the support matrix at bottom left in the pic below (which was great fun to remove), but that was probably not necessary from a mechanical standpoint as the stuff seems to adhere to itself pretty tenaciously and doesn't seem particularly inclined to separate along layer lines. Regardless, I like that the build plate texture is present on the face, so if I make more I'll still print them face down.

Original pad at top right in photo:
Dytex%20vise%20pads-X2.jpg


Vise with pads installed:
Dytex%20vise%20pad%20-%20new%20-%20installed%2002-X2.jpg


Dytex%20vise%20pad%20-%20new%20-%20installed%2003-X2.jpg


-Pat
 
Back
Top Bottom