• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Who Was the First to Feature Black Styling?

LBPete

Rolling Along
Subscriber
Here is a picture of a 1958 vintage Sansui Q3535 amplifier. I don’t know when Macintosh or other high end audio manufactures started painting their gear black but this sure looks like an early one.

- Pete
 

Attachments

  • Sansui 1958 Q3535.jpg
    Sansui 1958 Q3535.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 164
Register to hide this ad
ummmmm

LBPete said:
Here is a picture of a 1958 vintage Sansui Q3535 amplifier. I don’t know when Macintosh or other high end audio manufactures started painting their gear black but this sure looks like an early one.

- Pete
that needs to have some work done to it so you should send it to me !!
 
I don't know the history of Mack&Totch, but I figure they had to start around then, right?

Can't think of another brand that played with black back then. I'm going to bet that it was Sansui copying Mac's look...
 
Then maybe the question should be which was the first Japanese manufactuer to offer black styling.

- Pete
 
LBPete said:
Here is a picture of a 1958 vintage Sansui Q3535 amplifier. I don’t know when Macintosh or other high end audio manufactures started painting their gear black but this sure looks like an early one.

- Pete

If you really wanted to split hairs you could say it was black from the beginning on the radio side with black bakelite forming the front panel with white paint-filled lettering. But, the operating word is styling. Bakelite was the material best suited to the job and white paint made the engraving easier to read. It was purely functional.

Other than McIntosh, one of the other audio ones I can recall is when Heathkit offered styled white lettering on black chassis in the late 50's on some of their mono amplifiers. Those followed the gray hammertone & gold paint eras. However, what company embraced it first on the consumer side? When someone says "black styling" I think of consumer receivers and not really anything else.
 
I believe the French refer to the whole school of Deliberately Dramatic Design as "le Darthvaderisme," which tells us 'when', if not 'who'.
 
It's nice to know that the black styling can trace it's roots back to the early days of audio! I applaud the efforts of the companies from the 80's to the present, and their conviction to bring back the black styling as they pay their respect to the audio pioneers of yesteryear!

:thumbsdn:
 
A lot of the quality receivers from the 70's were available in black, but only in Europe (i think).

I know that some, if not all, of the Pioneer SX series was available in black, and with different model numbers.
Also I'm pretty sure that some of the vintage Marantz units were available in black.
 
Shaft! The black private dick! He was the first to feature black styling! Unless you count Huggy Bear... : ) What? I'm just talkin' bout Shaft....
 
EH Scott in the 1930s. Black chassis and chrome plated potted transformers, capacitor and tube covers..

Thanks,
Ron-C
 
LBPete said:
Here is a picture of a 1958 vintage Sansui Q3535 amplifier. I don’t know when Macintosh or other high end audio manufactures started painting their gear black but this sure looks like an early one.

- Pete

OK. I'd shoot someone for one of those Sansuis. That's just TOO COOL. :D :D

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Back
Top Bottom