• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Who Was the First to Feature Black Styling?

Dunno who was first but the reason for the shift from silver to black was the popularity of black camaras in Japan.
 
The first black equipment I remember seeing was Denon. That would have been in the early 70's I believe, though things from back then are a bit foggy, if you know what I mean.:D
 
mikey3117 said:
It's nice to know that the black styling can trace it's roots back to the early days of audio! I applaud the efforts of the companies from the 80's to the present, and their conviction to bring back the black styling as they pay their respect to the audio pioneers of yesteryear!

:thumbsdn:
There was a lot of great equipment produced in the 1960s and '70 that had anodized aluminum black faces. The entire Sansui AU and BA series of amplifiers, CA series of preamps and TU series of tuners were all black from the beginning. This includes some of the greatest amps and tuners ever made by anyone. Please don't paint everything the BPC brush just because it has a black face.

- Pete
 
Skinley said:
A lot of the quality receivers from the 70's were available in black, but only in Europe (i think).

I know that some, if not all, of the Pioneer SX series was available in black, and with different model numbers.
Also I'm pretty sure that some of the vintage Marantz units were available in black.
Sansui offered most of their receivers from the mid 1970s with either a silver or black face. It's offen said the black ones were the European variants but I don't think that is strickly the case. There are a lot of them here in the US.

- Pete
 
GordonW said:
OK. I'd shoot someone for one of those Sansuis. That's just TOO COOL. :D :D

Regards,
Gordon.
No one needs to be shot but you might need a big wod of cash. The one in the picture is currently up on ebay. (No affiliation, yada, yada)

- Pete
 
LBPete said:
No one needs to be shot but you might need a big wod of cash. The one in the picture is currently up on ebay. (No affiliation, yada, yada)

- Pete

Not enough cash here at this time, to do that. Would have to pull a Bonnie & Clyde to get one. :uzi:

:D

Regards,
Gordon.
 
GordonW, I''m sure glad there is half a continent and the world's biggest ocean between you and my black Sansui's. :yes:
 
School blackboards.

BeuysJoseph_Blackboards%20(240x240)_tcm35-3207.jpg


L04001.jpg
 
Shoes: we've had 'em since before the year Gimmel!

And a lot of them are black still today, surprisingly.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom