• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

WiiM WiFi Streamer

Signed up for Qobuz 30-day trial. Their process is a bit messy, took several emails to finally get the login working; looks like there’s a time delay between their US and French services.

After it finally got worked out, I’m testing in the Audio Pro app. CD bitrate, and the router is showing about 1Mbps passing through.

The Quboz app can’t seem to find my CCA, though. I’ll futz with it later. It does have some great metadata on the artists and albums, and lets me filter out all the rock, rap, etc that I have no interest in, something I wish all apps would do.

F08DD285-AE10-4615-9361-E8F6E61E9A1B.png
 
Took some fiddling around to find the menus in the Audio Pro app, but can confirm that this inexpensive device will definitely stream Qobuz at 24/192. The router is showing it pulling about 4MBps.

I actually kinda like the Qobuz app. Works nicely on my ChromeBox, as well as their web browser interface.

71E40B54-0AA7-47DF-BA8A-09B9BD359A12.png
 
Some of the tracks are averaging 6MBps. A lot of bandwidth for a noise floor WAY below anyone’s listening room residual, and frequency response WAY above anyone’s hearing, especially old dudes, lol. Nice app for CD quality listening, though.

The Deco mesh routers are keeping up nicely, not a hint of a dropout at the highest bitrates. 20MBps fiber into the house.

262DEB8B-6D8F-4F4D-8749-E1A4CD571C54.png
 
I agree. Much prefer it to Tidal, but I will be using tidal until May since they made an offer I can’t refuse. After that, probably back to Qobuz.

Just got an email that my Deezer sub is expiring in a few days, so pulled the trigger on Qobuz, $149/yr. Will unsub from Amazon HD, since HD isn't supported on this little device (yet?), while the Qobuz app inside Audio Pro app is fully featured, and I like just about everything else about Qobuz on all my platforms, including their web UI, and their Android app on the ChromeBox is nicely integrated into ChromeOS.
 
Just got an email that my Deezer sub is expiring in a few days, so pulled the trigger on Qobuz, $149/yr. Will unsub from Amazon HD, since HD isn't supported on this little device (yet?), while the Qobuz app inside Audio Pro app is fully featured, and I like just about everything else about Qobuz on all my platforms, including their web UI, and their Android app on the ChromeBox is nicely integrated into ChromeOS.

I forgot if you said Tidal is supported, I believe it is.
 
It is, but I've used up all my burner email addresses on Tidal trials, so can't test it here, lol. Qobuz is very nice on this thing, though.

In my system Qobuz did sound better but not twice the money better since I get Tidal with a Military discount. Plus it’s only background and finding new music for me.
 
Some screenshots of the Qobuz app inside the Audio Pro app. Much nicer than their Sonos app integration. I’m impressed. The filters are sticky, so I don't get the latest cRap jammed down my throat, unlike most other apps.

6BC826CA-044D-4F13-9D72-65DAB35F861D.png 40F08DA2-E557-47D4-92DE-0004BEBA2AA5.png CF9572EF-1C08-41A8-ADEE-23FD2B3ACF3C.png B32B5CD2-E295-4E2B-95E3-976D0ADA2145.png D605B6B5-7CE8-4FBC-B424-AD4B4D293CCB.png 62F89F44-DCF2-4803-A00B-FBA8CD5DB0BE.png 2A6F7620-AC3E-48A8-87FE-053AD04F8A42.png E10E6A1C-C82F-4858-B1E9-76B6C6454695.png
 
Some screenshots of the Qobuz app inside the Audio Pro app. Much nicer than their Sonos app integration. I’m impressed. The filters are sticky, so I don't get the latest cRap jammed down my throat, unlike most other apps.

View attachment 1749452 View attachment 1749453 View attachment 1749454 View attachment 1749455 View attachment 1749456 View attachment 1749457 View attachment 1749458 View attachment 1749459

I don’t have a problem with the apps pushing music at me. I am never on the home page, I go straight to “My collection” or search.

Edit: The Tidal app on my iPhone is set up to go here every time I open it.

925C595E-C363-4B75-96E1-A3CDEC8F025D.png
 
Last edited:
AMHD opens with screen (tab) you last had open. For me it's the "My Music" tab showing my "Recently Played". :thumbsup:
 
^^^ I think what most don't understand about this kind of device (and Sonos/BlueSound/Denon etc) is that you don't necessarily cast to them from the provider's native app (although it's possible to do so, especially with Sonos). Rather, the providers integrate directly into the device, or rather into their cloud. The app(s) that are used with these devices are merely remote controls to the device itself. The advantage to this is that, unlike ChromeCast for example, you'll never be out of sync; you can control the device from a dozen different phones, tablets, PCs, etc, and they'll all be completely in sync with each other, 100% of the time.

To me, this has always been the way it SHOULD work. ChromeCast would often go out of sync, and you'd need to restart everything. Very annoying. AirPlay and BlueTooth both have their own issues, as well, especially due to their requiring streaming through the phone, and of course AirPlay being only useful from Apple devices, which I generally avoid.

So, integration of a provider's app into the device is extremely important here; Qobuz has integrated their service MUCH better than Amazon, Pandora or Deezer, and probably Tidal, (though I can't check Tidal) to the point where it's very nearly as good as the Qobuz app itself.

Also important for me is that the native provider app run on my ChromeBox. The Qobuz app, once again, is the pick of the litter here. Amazon, in their ongoing pissing contest with Google, pulled their app from even running on ChromeOS. Really annoying. The Deezer app works on ChromeOS, but again not nearly so well as the Qobuz app. So, here we are. Happy with Qobuz pretty much everywhere, with Amazon via voice control on the Echo devices, including the Echo Input.
 
Still curious about the quality of the built in DAC in the unit. Is it decent, or are you only using digital out to your DAC?
 
In my system Qobuz did sound better but not twice the money better since I get Tidal with a Military discount.
Twice the money? Just a heads up but Qobuz lowered their price last year to $14.99/mo. $12.50/mo. with prepaid annual sub. :)
 
I won't profess to know what all makes me like some Streamers DAC's vs others, and I don't have experience with a lot of them, but...
When I listen to the same sources streamed to my CCA via the analog output on the 3.5mm jack to RCA's I find the highs kind of grainy with glare. When I switch to the CCA fed optically into my old Audio Alchemy DITB with a custom power supply its a whole lot better. I tend to suspect its the analog portion of the DAC, and probably the CCA's ability to drive what its feeding. The same is true with another streamer, the inexpensive Besign BE-RX bluetooth receiver. It has APT-X, and will do CD quality (no better though). It also sounds better via its optical out into the DITB vs its RCA's.
 
Finally remembered I had a burner email account with my ISP, set up a Tidal trial. Like Amazon, the integration into the controller app(s) for the KEiiD type devices is minimal, with no configuration possible. Despite setting up a HiFi sub, and confirming that everything was playing at "hi-rez" bitrates through the Tidal app, it shows about 0.3MBps, on average, when playing through the KEiiD. So, another no-go.

Winner, for these devices, is clearly Qobuz, if you want non-lossy compression. With Qobuz, it's quite nice; I may buy some of the little circuit boards to play with grouping and stereo pairing. If Audio Pro made some decent looking speakers, I might even try them, lol. They supposedly sound pretty decent for the price.

Speaking of Audio Pro, their equivalent device to the KEiiD is $99, but lacks an analog input, and the outputs are only 3.5mm analog, and optical digital. Smaller, though. With Qobuz or DLNA, it could replace a CCA.

https://us.audiopro.com/product/link-1/
 
Last edited:
I have a couple of CCA units that I use with my Spotify and cast from my iPad.

Would this KEiiD work in a similar manner.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom