• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

WiiM WiFi Streamer

What timing - I'm currently looking at ways to update my system with some of the hd/higher quality streaming services. At the risk of sounding like Gchief's 79 old dad, will the KEiid do pretty much what the Bluesound does? I currently have an NAD d7050 that I can stream via wifi and bluetooth. Am I simply duplicating capabilities?
 
Twice the money? Just a heads up but Qobuz lowered their price last year to $14.99/mo. $12.50/mo. with prepaid annual sub. :)

I need to check them out again. Their library was pretty light in the genres I stream compared to Spotify and Tidal.

:beerchug:
 
What timing - I'm currently looking at ways to update my system with some of the hd/higher quality streaming services. At the risk of sounding like Gchief's 79 old dad, will the KEiid do pretty much what the Bluesound does? I currently have an NAD d7050 that I can stream via wifi and bluetooth. Am I simply duplicating capabilities?

It’s not in the same league as Bluesound, no. You’re pretty much on your own here; zero support, which is one reason it’s so much cheaper than Bluesound and Sonos. Lifetime “free” support is extremely expensive, so it’s built into the cost of those products. Also, you’re only getting lossless streaming here via Qobuz and your own library. Everything else uses lossy compression, at least for now. Finally, it supports AirPlay 1, vs AirPlay 2 on Bluesound and Sonos.
 
Another thing I love about Qobuz (I'm a music lover WAY more than an "audiophile") is the ability to download PDFs of the CD inserts. Very nice. Wish I'd tried Qobuz sooner.

upload_2020-2-2_8-38-3.png
 
I need to check them out again. Their library was pretty light in the genres I stream compared to Spotify and Tidal.

:beerchug:
Agreed. If you're into classical and/or jazz with deep metadata they're pretty good. Otherwise, genre wise, they're catalog is relatively skinny to date. Lots of duplicity of albums as well.
 
Now that I'm an old retired fart, I have time to futz with this stuff. Remembered that I had an ancient LMS instance installed on the old MyBookLive NAS, which has been in storage for years. Cranked it up, LMS still works... Added UPnP plugin, which found the KEiiD (and my Sonos speakers) just fine. Also added the ChromeCast plugin, which found all my Google toys. I've always hated the LMS UI via the browser, but downloaded iPeng to the old iPhone 7 that MegaCorp let me keep when I retired. Nice app, though I'll need to play with it a bit to learn to navigate.

All my toys, including the KEiiD, can now be played to with a single controller app, from Qobuz, my NAS, etc. Pretty nifty. The UPnP plugin even figured out that the Sonos speakers are stereo paired, something BubbleUPnP isn't smart enough to do.


IMG_3207.PNG
 
@chicks since you have so much time on your hands now you may want to update LMS to 7.9.2 and try the material skin which is much better than the classic skin. I mostly use Orange Squeeze from my android phone though.

Also LMS 8.0 is supposed to look and function like Roon if you are interested.

LMS 7.9.2 with the material skin screenshots:

Logitech Media Server - Google Chrome_006.png Logitech Media Server - Google Chrome_007.png Logitech Media Server - Google Chrome_008.jpg
You have done a lot work in this thread letting people know how this unit works in the real world. Thanks. :thumbsup:
 
Yeah, I tried updating, but get a bunch of missing library errors. Gotta love Linux, lol. I really need to get a proper NAS for photo storage, will look into them. Any NAS suggestions welcome!
 
Yeah, I tried updating, but get a bunch of missing library errors. Gotta love Linux, lol. I really need to get a proper NAS for photo storage, will look into them. Any NAS suggestions welcome!
You are the second person who has mentioned missing library errors when installing/upgrading LMS. I always have my Linux boxes up to date and I must have installed over 50 nightlies of 7.9.2 with out any problems.

Here is a screen shot of part of the info screen showing what I have installed. Maybe it will help some one.

LMS_info.png
 
This is an ancient MyBookLive "Personal Cloud" NAS, with very outdated Linux and Perl. Installed the CPAN stuff, attempting to install the missing modules... This is like stepping back 20 years in time for me, used to have to deal with 'nix servers all the time. Don't miss it, lol.
Gotcha. I did not realize that... Good luck!!
 
Turns out the Perl repository for the missing modules doesn't even support this old PowerPC architecture anymore, so can't install the missing SSL packages. Ah well. Time for a new NAS...
 
This is an ancient MyBookLive "Personal Cloud" NAS, with very outdated Linux and Perl. Installed

The MyCloud family made it even harder, as they use a non-standard 4k block size, so you can't just do apt-update; if you do, you will brick the OS... Updates rely on WD rolling out new firmware (which they are poor at, especially for CVE notified vulnerabilities), or compiling your own. I haven't yet ventured into that realm, although I feel I should...

Oh, and their latest offering, the MyCloud Home, isn't really a NAS in the conventional sense; it requires special software to be installed on the client devices. I would avoid.
 
Playing with grouping this morning. Was quite surprised to discover that the KEiiD, with optical output to my desktop monitors, plays in perfect sync with my Sonos Play:1s across the room.

Couldn’t get the Google-based bedroom clock to group play with the Sonos, the clock stayed silent, but the KEiiD syncs perfectly.

8D56CA2E-C7CF-47C9-8943-EF8511A57BEB.png
 
Oops, next song, and they’re out of sync by a second or two. Sigh. First attempt was pure luck, I guess.

One of Sonos’ selling points, as a whole house system, is its millisecond sync of multiple speakers, every time. Not a feature I use often, but for a good percentage of their customers, a primary feature.
 
Chicks,
I wish I knew 10% of what you know about computers and these systems!
Ordered the Deco M5s this morning. Better wifi on the way.
Also ordered a KEiiD to see if I can catch up to the end of the last century.
Cheers
 
Back
Top Bottom