• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

WiiM WiFi Streamer

What were your issues with it?
Mine was completely unstable. Wifi issues sitting almost next to my router. It could have been dropped in shipment. Who knows! In the end I decided I just wasn't into selling off my current Amp and DAC. And I did promise the wife that I would actually end up with more money in our account. Like I typed before..... I'm a huge fan of WiiM, but the Amp was unstable at every step of the setup.
 
Prompted by a recent thread to check the Wiim specs, I was surprised to see the Mini doesn't support Chromecast.

Now I have a vague memory of Wiim arguing that limited memory caused limited functionality.

Which got me thinking about a 'mix & match' software module approach. Only load the modules you need: don't need Alexa/Siri/Google control? Don't need Tidal or Spotify? Dump those modules. Do want CCA or Squeeze? Load those modules...

Obviously needs more care with firmware load, and app support to determine & manage capabilities, and makes it harder to categorically specify the capability set if there isn't room to support everything...
 
Prompted by a recent thread to check the Wiim specs, I was surprised to see the Mini doesn't support Chromecast.

Now I have a vague memory of Wiim arguing that limited memory caused limited functionality.

Which got me thinking about a 'mix & match' software module approach. Only load the modules you need: don't need Alexa/Siri/Google control? Don't need Tidal or Spotify? Dump those modules. Do want CCA or Squeeze? Load those modules...

Obviously needs more care with firmware load, and app support to determine & manage capabilities, and makes it harder to categorically specify the capability set if there isn't room to support everything...

I guess for them though it makes more commercial sense to have the 2 options, one as a basic cheap and chearful entry level option and one at a higher price point with some bells & whistles added.
 
Prompted by a recent thread to check the Wiim specs, I was surprised to see the Mini doesn't support Chromecast.

Now I have a vague memory of Wiim arguing that limited memory caused limited functionality.

Which got me thinking about a 'mix & match' software module approach. Only load the modules you need: don't need Alexa/Siri/Google control? Don't need Tidal or Spotify? Dump those modules. Do want CCA or Squeeze? Load those modules...

Obviously needs more care with firmware load, and app support to determine & manage capabilities, and makes it harder to categorically specify the capability set if there isn't room to support everything...
Chromecast requires additional hardware (chip), not just firmware.
 
Chromecast requires additional hardware (chip), not just firmware.
Interesting. What does that chip do, specifically, for CCA? Surely, CCA is a software streaming protocol carried over wifi? The video CCs use hardware video codecs, but audio codecs can be implemented in s/w.

I see nothing in this teardown that shouts 'bespoke device':


RF chip, processor, RAM, ROM, DAC & audio driver.

Now, I can believe that the Wiim Mini might lack memory or processing to handle CCA, but I can't see it needing a 'special' chip to do that. But my idle musing was about how to trade features and resources/performance...
 
Last edited:
Interesting. What does that chip do, specifically, for CCA? Surely, CCA is a software streaming protocol carried over wifi? The video CCs use hardware video codecs, but audio codecs can be implemented in s/w.

I see nothing in this teardown that shouts 'bespoke device':


RF chip, processor, RAM, ROM, DAC & audio driver.

Now, I can believe that the Wiim Mini might lack memory or processing to handle CCA, but I can't see it needing a 'special' chip to do that. But my idle musing was about how to trade features and resources/performance...
Maybe it's just that the Mini's hardware doesn't meet the req's, not 100% sure. Remember reading this, but don't know where...

Here's something from WiiM, which can be interpreted a few different ways...

 
I have a WiiM Mini that Santa brought me, and it has worked like a charm since I got it. What a treat. I have access to a ton of music and all I have to do is think of what I want to listen to and then bam!
 
Just picked up a Wiim Pro at good price, quite happy with it. Shows right up in LMS - and for the cost less than another picore player + USB DAC (and hopefully no more messing around as much as I do with picore players :)).
 
Room correction beta is now available for Pro, Pro+ and Amp. iOS only due to consistency of microphones.

 
Room correction beta is now available for Pro, Pro+ and Amp. iOS only due to consistency of microphones.

Did not know that. I will check it out, thanks!
 
Room correction beta is now available for Pro, Pro+ and Amp. iOS only due to consistency of microphones.

So this will work with the Wiim Pro, as well as the newer devices?
Edit- figured it out, looks like I am good to give it a try with my pro and the wiim app on my ipad.
 
Last edited:
Audirvana, which I've never tried before, recently announced a beta version for Linux. Some seem to love it, so thought I'd give it a whirl.

Updated an old Android TV Box with the latest version of Armbian Linux, installed the beta, went through WAY too much craziness to get a trial license, which took at least 6 attempts, and scanned some music on a USB thumb drive.

It finds all my UPnP and Chromecast devices just fine, as well as the optical and HDMI ports on the little TV box. Pointed it to my WiiM Pro, and it plays. So far, so good.

Unfortunately, the UI isn't at all to my liking, and apparently the theme can't be changed without a paid license. Which brings up the question, why the heck would anyone actually pay for this, give the excellent WiiM app and the very excellent LMS / Material Skin? It has "upsampling", which to me is simply a gimmick. Other than that, there's nothing here that other, open source, apps won't do (and much more).

My rating: meh.

Screenshot 2024-04-14 7.40.19 AM.png
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom