• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

WiiM WiFi Streamer

Thank you Spark and Rocky.
Would I no longer need my Schitt Modi?
Keep the Modi. If you go with a Mini try with and without the Modi (Mini has optical port). Then decide.

I use my Mini straight, no DAC. My Pro is paired with a Topping E30 II.

The Mini was previously in the system where the Pro w/DAC are now. Huge difference in sound quality? No. Incremental improvement? Yes. Or so I tell myself.
 
I took the leap, ordered and just installed the WIIM Mini. We are astonishingly impressed, now listening to Klaatu's Calling occupants on Interplanetary craft and Neutrino.
Thanks again to Rocky and Spark.
:p:banana:

Let us know if you try using it with the Modi, and how much of a difference it makes.
 
how does it compare to a chromecast audio running thru a dac like topping e30?
More functionality, more outputs and it has its own DAC, which depending on the model, may be as good as, if not better than the Topping E30. My WiiM Pro Plus does bluetooth, Chromecast, WiFi & Airplay and hosts most streaming apps, with the exception of Apple Music. It also does Room EQ and has a Parametric EQ, graphic equalizer, balance and gain control if you want to input your own settings. Take this with a grain of salt, but ASR rates the WiiM Pro Plus' DAC higher than the Topping E30: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/wiim-pro-plus-streamer-review.50254/ it also gives it the same rating as the Schiit Modius, SMSL D1& Sanskrit & Chord Qutest.
 
More functionality, more outputs and it has its own DAC, which depending on the model, may be as good as, if not better than the Topping E30. My WiiM Pro Plus does bluetooth, Chromecast, WiFi & Airplay and hosts most streaming apps, with the exception of Apple Music. It also does Room EQ and has a Parametric EQ, graphic equalizer, balance and gain control if you want to input your own settings. Take this with a grain of salt, but ASR rates the WiiM Pro Plus' DAC higher than the Topping E30: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/wiim-pro-plus-streamer-review.50254/ it also gives it the same rating as the Schiit Modius, SMSL D1& Sanskrit & Chord Qutest.

Just to be clear, the Chromecast audio does have its own DAC too. I use one in my kitchen system. You can also use an external DAC with excellent results. Here's a screenshot from ASR.

Screenshot_20250126_090024_Chrome.jpg
 
My wife bought me a WiiM Pro for Christmas that I had on my list to replace a Chromecast Audio and I'm bowled over by the sound quality streaming Spotify, a fantastic device indeed . . . I will try Tidal & Qobuz in the near future.

Are you comparing casting Spotify to the Chromecast Audio to casting to the WiiM, or casting to CCA vs running Spotify on the WiiM?

One thing to be careful with Spotify is to make sure whatever device you are playing it through is set to Extreme (329kbps). Spotify defaults to something like 96 or 128, even with Premium, unless you manually set each playback device to Extreme.
 
Are you comparing casting Spotify to the Chromecast Audio to casting to the WiiM, or casting to CCA vs running Spotify on the WiiM?

One thing to be careful with Spotify is to make sure whatever device you are playing it through is set to Extreme (329kbps). Spotify defaults to something like 96 or 128, even with Premium, unless you manually set each playback device to Extreme.

Comparing casting to CCA vs Spotify to WiiM . . . . It's set for very high.
 
Thanks. Very surprised it’s that much better in apples to apples casting mode, but your experience has inspired me to replace one CCA with a Wiim - hope I have similar results! I’ll be thrilled because it already sounds quite good with the CCA
I think you will be very pleased. :thumbsup:
 
I just signed up for a free trial on Qobuz, excited to try the new Qobuz Connect. I discovered that unfortunately the Wiim Mini doesn't support Qobuz Connect. I can still play it through the Wiim app though, and I can cast to my 2 Chromecast Audios.
Oh well. I'll probably stick with Tidal anyway.
 
Something that is nice about Qobuz is that it is both a streaming service and a store. So if you like, you don't have to pay the subscription. You can just buy the songs you want, download and keep the lossless files, and use the Qobuz app, which has a "library" section that contains all of your purchased music. You can then use Qobuz connect (or Airplay, or Chromecast) from there to play your music.
 
Should add: *and* since the music files have no DRM, you can move them where you want. Do you prefer to use a UPnP / DLNA server? Copy them over. Do you prefer iTunes or Foobar 2000 or Audirvana to manage your library? Ditto (and Audivarna can be logged in to your Qobuz account, too, if you want).
 
I saw on Darko the Wiim Sound. Cult of Mac has an article here:


WiiM-Sound-smart-speaker-and-WiiM-Amp-Ultra.jpeg


It is similar to the HomePod, but doesn't support Airplay. However, it one ups the HomePod with a screen (which is supposed to be coming to the HomePod). It can also work as a center channel or for surrounds. I would assume if you use it that way, it could use HDMI ARC with an AppleTV to get a back door into Airplay. I am interested to see what they charge for this product.
 
Back
Top Bottom