• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

YAMAHA B-3 on the way...to me!

Hello Cosmin2000

1) why do you need explanation ? a no, is not clear enough for you ?
2) do you think that words coming from rottalpha are not trustable ?
3) These V-FET are not substitute for B2 transistors . B2 V-FET transistors are differents from YAMAHA B3 (B3 use 2SK76A -C and 2SJ26A-C )
4) these V-FET are regulators transistors not power transistors .
You can try to use them in a B2 and I can certify you that this is a really bad idea , they will be destroyed immediately . Don't ask me to explain , I did it and I killed 4 precious 2SK98 and 2SJ38 V-FET !
 
Hello Cosmin2000

1) why do you need explanation ? a no, is not clear enough for you ?
2) do you think that words coming from rottalpha are not trustable ?
3) These V-FET are not substitute for B2 transistors . B2 V-FET transistors are differents from YAMAHA B3 (B3 use 2SK76A -C and 2SJ26A-C )
4) these V-FET are regulators transistors not power transistors .
You can try to use them in a B2 and I can certify you that this is a really bad idea , they will be destroyed immediately . Don't ask me to explain , I did it and I killed 4 precious 2SK98 and 2SJ38 V-FET !

Hello, clinic-audio! I guess is in my nature to get more information, not that I do not trust what rottalpha said in the previous post. Moreover, now that you have certified that these cannot be replacements for 2SK76/2SJ26 based on your testing I will not search for these anymore (I found a couple pairs of these 2SK98/2SJ38 here and was wondering...). Thank you both for your replies.
 
Greetings, Pete! No need to replace any V-FETs, just that I would be much more comfortable with some spare V-FETs at hand in case something unfortunate will occur...
 
Greetings, Pete! No need to replace any V-FETs, just that I would be much more comfortable with some spare V-FETs at hand in case something unfortunate will occur...
good to know!
So there is much easier to fend the "unfortunate" than to find actual spare vfets. The vfets would be probably the last electrical components to fail in these units from "natural causes" (i.e. getting old)
so if you rebuild the B-3s the right way, you need not worry about the v-fets.
 
IMG_20201129_140002.jpg IMG_20201129_142109.jpg
IMG_20201129_140207.jpg

Happy new year, dear friends!

YAMAHA B-3 and NS-10M monitor speakers make a very good match even without a proper preamp and CD-player. The next test will be with the Trio L-07CII preamplifier and the B-3s in BTL mode driving the NS-1000M speakers. I am looking forward to this for years...
 
Last edited:
Happy new year, dear friends!

YAMAHA B-3 and NS-10M monitor speakers make a very good match even without a proper preamp and CD-player. The next test will be with the Trio L-07CII preamplifier and the B-3s in BTL mode driving the NS-1000M speakers. I am looking forward to this for years...
Happy New Year and very nice indeed!
 
View attachment 2083723

Happy New Year Rott! But what's up with the SIT 3? ;)

I'll bet Nelson would love to come over for a listen. I know I would. :)
Happy New Year Vintage! You spotted that quickly :)

Yes, I am sure Nelson would love to listen and he would be proud too. The "baby" Vfet more than holds its own among it's bigger Vfet siblings and among the likes of STAX pure 100W class A Beaties.

Some say the "Baby" vfet amp lacks power but I find that not to be the case. With a vfet pre-stage in front of it from the C-1 (that can output up to like 3v) and a set of efficient Be speakers at its other end, the SIT-3 fills my entire house with the sweet vfet sound. More than enough power of pure vfet bliss.
 

rottalpha, yeah you have a tough first day of the year... I do not want to be in your shoes.:) I wouldn't know which one I should listen first. Now you are making me search for those beefy STAX monaurals. Where are the BX-1s and how do they compare to these STAX beauties? Tell me more about the B-3s in BTL mode against all these masterpieces?

P.S.: Congrats on those beautiful NS-2000, they are stunning...:beerchug:
 
rottalpha, yeah you have a tough first day of the year... I do not want to be in your shoes.:) I wouldn't know which one I should listen first. Now you are making me search for those beefy STAX monaurals. Where are the BX-1s and how do they compare to these STAX beauties? Tell me more about the B-3s in BTL mode against all these masterpieces?

P.S.: Congrats on those beautiful NS-2000, they are stunning...:beerchug:
what are you doing up at this hour? Aren't you home for the holydays?
...nevermind..~8am?
 
the new year resolution is to start taking the beasts out of their cages more often.

How do you like my designer speaker stands? :D

View attachment 2084282

I like them alot, especially what sits on top of them. Have you concealed any power amps inside those stands?:D

what are you doing up at this hour? Aren't you home for the holydays?
...nevermind..~8am?

I am up to listen to my YAMAHAs, right now Allan Taylor - Beat Hotel is performing. Still in China, so here is GMT+8 hours, daylight.
 
Last edited:
Hey guys! Happy holidays!
I just got a B3. Now B3 (japan voltage) and B2 (usa voltage) are side by side - doing a sound check. Important question:
Can I plug B3 directly into the standard 124vac outlet (a reading from a minute ago)?
B3 is 100v Japanese market so what will happen if I bypass the step down?

I like the sound of B3 but I want to know if the step down is "taming" it. Don't want to kill it though, so therefore I ask. So far the B2 is more dynamic but the B3 is more organic :)
How is that for a scientific evaluation?
 
Back
Top Bottom