• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha CR-2040 Shorted During DC/Bias/Voltage Adjustment

C125 looks like a 220µf@ 6.3 vdc
Looked on the board and C125 is indeed 220 microfarad, NOT 220 picofarad...Yamaha parts list is incorrect there. I will delete the previous posts with the lists and repost with the corrected value for sanity's sake.
 
.Yamaha parts list is incorrect there.
Never count 100% on the schematic or parts list .. Always go with what is actually installed.. Unless it is obvious that what is installed is not OEM. This is exactly why I said to take and actual visual inventory.
There are loads of errors and typo's in the published service manuals.
 
Found more errors from the Yamaha Parts List compared to what I found on the board. Screenshot below with errors highlighted to show the correct values.

upload_2021-2-28_17-51-16.png
 
Now for the part that I have struggled with to date, and that is determination of correct replacements. I understand that there is not one set of rules for capacitors across the board. I tried to pick "best available grade" when selecting them and stuck entirely with Nichicon mainly because they were the most consistently available for IN STOCK options. I'm open to switching brands (Elna or other), Series (FG, FT, FA...these never end even when focusing on Nichicon), or type (Film instead of Electrolytic). Cornell Dubilier for the filter caps is the only non-Nichicon in the list below.

I understand this is asking a lot, but could somebody please shoot holes in the list with URL links below for any of the selections I've made? Nothing is ordered, just finally have the BOM built for the caps on mouser. Added cost for a better option is not a concern (ie - Elna > Nichicon). My bigger concern is whether I am selecting the appropriate replacements or not.

Text below is pasted from a spreadsheet but I think it reads relatively easy. Spaces in between groups of the same capacitors with URL link to each at the bottom of each group.....ugh, that was the most exhausting part of this, i could disassemble, unsolder, resolder, reassemble and be ready for another, but this parts searching is tough! Mainly because I'm not familiar enough with it so I overthink every selection it seems. Oh well, just part of it, already learned a lot from the search, now I'll probably learn a lot more when it starts getting holes shot in it!

CAP# uF* V* Link
C130 0.1 50 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/647-USW1H0R1MDD/

C919 0.47 50
C920 0.47 50
C131 0.47 50 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/647-UMP1HR47MDD/

C613 1 50
C614 1 50
C145 1 50
C213 1 50
C319 1 50
C711 1 50
C712 1 50
C719 1 50
C720 1 50
C135 1 50
C138 1 50
C140 1 50 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UFG1H010MDM/?qs=kArNe9LFxXnnZzi8YNJV2w==

C915 1 100
C916 1 100
C733 1 100
C734 1 100
C735 1 100
C736 1 100
C701 1 100
C702 1 100
C703 1 100
C704 1 100 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UKL2A010KDD1TD/?qs=Mgq106Yuaz7BoZH/ksnxyw==

C505 2.2 25
C506 2.2 25 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UFW1H2R2MDD1TA/?qs=WJSLByB5Mu34Ey95a6BGgQ==

C929 2.2 50
C932 2.2 50 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UFW1H2R2MDD1TA/?qs=WJSLByB5Mu34Ey95a6BGgQ==

C208 3.3 25
C221 3.3 25
C222 3.3 25
C309 3.3 25
C933 3.3 25
C947 3.3 25
C948 3.3 25 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UFG1H3R3MDM1TD/?qs=WJSLByB5Mu2nUK%2BNKL6I9Q==

C601 4.7 25
C602 4.7 25
C308 4.7 25 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UKT1V4R7MDD/?qs=kArNe9LFxXlK8Q7HFeiKrQ==

C913 4.7 63
C914 4.7 63 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UEP1J4R7MED/?qs=BC3pCcygHNF6T7WRDgKVeA==

C607 10 16
C608 10 16
C615 10 16
C616 10 16
C617 10 16
C618 10 16
C625 10 16
C626 10 16
C629 10 16
C630 10 16
C631 10 16
C632 10 16
C921 10 16
C143 10 16
C206 10 16
C318 10 16
C120 10 16
C122 10 16
C129 10 16 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/647-UKT1C100MDD1TD

C501 10 25
C502 10 25
C525 10 25
C526 10 25 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UKT1E100MDD/?qs=kArNe9LFxXk6JtXEyX3M%2Bw==

C705 3.3 25
C706 3.3 25 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UFG1H3R3MDM/?qs=kArNe9LFxXln6t6X8Oop4w==

C621 33 10
C622 33 10 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UKA1A330MDD/?qs=TI/9gtmDCEErCboSDXowww==

C132 33 16
C917 33 16V(Z)
C949 33 16V(Z) https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UFG1C330MDM/?qs=kArNe9LFxXnVyAlnTbp8UA==

C223 47 16 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UFG1C470MEM1TD/?qs=WJSLByB5Mu2OUS9V5gPnug==

C415 47 10
C416 47 10 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UKA1A470MDD/?qs=TI/9gtmDCEEekr1OaQHx%2BQ==

C409 47 10
C410 47 10
C411 47 10
C412 47 10 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UKA1A470MDD/?qs=TI/9gtmDCEEekr1OaQHx%2BQ==

C609 100 6.3
C610 100 6.3
C611 100 6.3
C612 100 6.3
C633 100 6.3
C634 100 6.3
C401 100 6.3
C402 100 6.3
C403 100 6.3
C404 100 6.3
C142 100 6.3 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UKA0J101MDD/?qs=TI/9gtmDCEENGj%2BdJq904g==

C203 100 16
C320 100 16 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UKW1C101MDD/?qs=kArNe9LFxXkYSafhV1DFGg==

C515 100 25
C516 100 25
C918 100 25 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UKW1E101MED/?qs=kArNe9LFxXn2Fwyt/Fad%2Bg==

C507 220 6.3
C508 220 6.3
C125 220 6.3 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UKA0J221MED/?qs=TI/9gtmDCEE9G74zHnBXUw==

C639 220 16
C640 220 16 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UFG1C221MPM/?qs=kArNe9LFxXnj3kvGeQvguw==

C641 220 35
C642 220 35
C417 220 35
C418 220 35 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UFG1V221MPM/?qs=kArNe9LFxXmVDpn0M0omhQ==

C211 470 6.3
C405 470 6.3
C406 470 6.3
C407 470 6.3
C408 470 6.3 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UFG0J471MPM/?qs=kArNe9LFxXkz%2Bmr/TyECIQ==

C927 470 35 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UKA1V471MPD/?qs=TI/9gtmDCEFouh1nQuHWnQ==

C909 470 100
C910 470 100 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UFG2A471MHM/?qs=kArNe9LFxXmV%2Bd0S1J/ckw==

C521 1000 6.3
C522 1000 6.3 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UKA0J102MPD/?qs=TI/9gtmDCEGv3qOdJGv4yw==

C926 1000 35 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/647-UKA1V102MHD1TO/

C905 22000 71
C906 22000 71 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/598-382LX223M080B062/
 
Well I just learned I can actually share the whole Mouser cart but would have to enter an email. So, if that's easier for anybody willing to go over this, send me a PM with your email and I'll have Mouser send the cart link with access code.
 
CAP# uF* V* Link
C130 0.1 50 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/647-USW1H0R1MDD/

C919 0.47 50
C920 0.47 50
C131 0.47 50 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/647-UMP1HR47MDD/

C613 1 50
C614 1 50
C145 1 50
C213 1 50
C319 1 50
C711 1 50
C712 1 50
C719 1 50
C720 1 50
C135 1 50
C138 1 50
C140 1 50 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UFG1H010MDM/?qs=kArNe9LFxXnnZzi8YNJV2w==

C915 1 100
C916 1 100
C733 1 100
C734 1 100
C735 1 100
C736 1 100
C701 1 100
C702 1 100
C703 1 100
C704 1 100 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UKL2A010KDD1TD/?qs=Mgq106Yuaz7BoZH/ksnxyw==

C505 2.2 25
C506 2.2 25 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UFW1H2R2MDD1TA/?qs=WJSLByB5Mu34Ey95a6BGgQ==

C929 2.2 50
C932 2.2 50 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UFW1H2R2MDD1TA/?qs=WJSLByB5Mu34Ey95a6BGgQ==

C208 3.3 25
C221 3.3 25
C222 3.3 25
C309 3.3 25
C933 3.3 25
C947 3.3 25
C948 3.3 25 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UFG1H3R3MDM1TD/?qs=WJSLByB5Mu2nUK%2BNKL6I9Q==

C601 4.7 25
C602 4.7 25
C308 4.7 25 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UKT1V4R7MDD/?qs=kArNe9LFxXlK8Q7HFeiKrQ==

C913 4.7 63
C914 4.7 63 https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UEP1J4R7MED/?qs=BC3pCcygHNF6T7WRDgKVeA==


For all of these I would opt for Wima film caps ... But what you have selected will do for electrolytic.

BTW -- Nichicon EP are bi-polar or non-polar caps.. They will work..
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UEP1J4R7MED/?qs=BC3pCcygHNF6T7WRDgKVeA==
 
For all of these I would opt for Wima film caps ... But what you have selected will do for electrolytic.

Looking like Polypropylene or Polyethylene Terephthalate are the main Film Cap options I'm finding so far. Recommendation between them? Looks like lead spacing will be a big factor here.
 
Per your recommendations above, I think the order for the capacitors is pretty set now. Stuck with the PET on the film caps, changed to the low impedance nichicons for the two (z) caps, and then went with the nichicons you linked instead of the Elnas.

I think I might have some more transistors to pull and test on the power supply section...probably will be reaching out with some questions there.
 
Actually already have one. On TR909 and TR905 that you already provided substitutes for, do these need matched pairs like the output transistors?
 
Well Mouser 2-day shipping option should probably be 2-week shipping option, stupid covid guidelines I guess.

Any good products for replacing the clear plastic multi- post/pin holders in this. The old ones mostly stayed intact but a few of them split apart. I would prefer to not rely on the solder joint alone for those posts (both for the mechanical strength of the joint as well as post spacing/alignment to avoid unwanted shorts). I searched mouser and digikey for something to do this and struck out horribly...nothing even close.
 
Any good products for replacing the clear plastic multi- post/pin holders in this.
Are these for wire wrapped pins ? Did you molest the wire wraps ? Photo and pin spacing measured in mm .:thumbsup:
 
Back
Top Bottom