• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yamaha newbie A-700 resto thread

View attachment 3152941
Had an oopsie with a kitchen knife and my thumb tip while making birthday dinner for the fiancee... Cut a decent sized chunk off. Thankfully no stitches needed but it sure does hurt like a b@!$# and bled enough to make the kitchen look like a set for a cheesy 80s slasher flick.

Repairs postponed for a few days, lol
Dude...
:beerchug:
Duct tape it...
Let the Wimaha saga continue please...
 
Last edited:
Sorry to hear about that! Your thumb looks like someone taped a big peanut shell on it, LOL!
I was going to say banana.

I hate it when that happens. Usually it's over before you realize that it has started.
Dark Rum will help with that. Got some really good Venzualen stuff that I can recommend. Diplomatico N.2 Barbet (bit expensive) and Botucal Mantuano.

Cheers,
James
 
Just call you Lefty from now on.. :biggrin: I'll bet the dinner was interesting..:p
We ended up just ordering pizza instead LOL.

Still hurts like a mofo today, but I think I should be able to get a few more things done on the A-700. I really want it to be up and running so I am going to delay as shortly as possible.

Dark Rum will help with that.
I like scotch in this kind of situation, Lagavulin is usually my choice :biggrin:
 
Last edited:
We ended up just ordering pizza instead LOL.

Still hurts like a mofo today, but I think I should be able to get a few more things done on the A-700. I really want it to be up and running so I am going to delay as shortly as possible.


I like scotch in this kind of situation, Lagavulin is usually my choice :biggrin:

And it will disinfect your cut too!

James
 
So this doesn't have a darn thing to do with audio, but you guys might find it amusing.

I often sleep with 1 or more hands and or feet outside of the covers, acts like heat regulators.

After my wife left for work this morning I went back to a nice deep sleep. :boring: Until I was sharply woken up because someone slapped my face! o_O
It took a few moments to realize that there was no one in the room with me. But I did notice that my hand was right next to my face.

I guess that I must have had a very active dream and my hand just kinda jumped at some point. :whip:

Anyway, that's how I woke up this morning.

Cheers,
James
 
So this doesn't have a darn thing to do with audio, but you guys might find it amusing.

I often sleep with 1 or more hands and or feet outside of the covers, acts like heat regulators.

After my wife left for work this morning I went back to a nice deep sleep. :boring: Until I was sharply woken up because someone slapped my face! o_O
It took a few moments to realize that there was no one in the room with me. But I did notice that my hand was right next to my face.

I guess that I must have had a very active dream and my hand just kinda jumped at some point. :whip:

Anyway, that's how I woke up this morning.

Cheers,
James
Okay, that's hilarious. Your wife telepathically made you slap yourself so you'd get out of bed LOL
 
Nope. When I related the experience with her she laughed and said that she wished that she could do that remotely.

She was joking.
I hope.

How is the thumb doing today?

Cheers,
James
She played it off well! LOL

I haven't changed the wound dressings yet, but it hasn't hurt as much today. Thanks for asking! I'm hoping it'll recover well, I had a friend tell me something similar happened and the tip of his thumb still hurts with a lot of pressure years later.

The last thing I'm waiting for are the output devices you sent my way.

I guess I could put everything together and test voltages with the dummy resistors in place. Not sure what I should be looking for, though. Any suggestions?
 
I shipped the package 13 days ago, but that was on a Saturday at a local drop off point so I doubt that they actually shipped before the next Monday. 14 days is the usual shipping time, so hopefully any time in the next few days.

I'm thinking that with the dummy resistors in place the amp should power up normally on the dim-bulb-tester and come out of protection. On the DBT the voltages shown in the schematic will probably be a bit low but reasonably close to the stated values.

I have gotten very paranoid and try to enforce the habit of taking the extra 5 minutes to do the first start on the DBT even for minor work.

James
 
I shipped the package 13 days ago, but that was on a Saturday at a local drop off point so I doubt that they actually shipped before the next Monday. 14 days is the usual shipping time, so hopefully any time in the next few days.

I'm thinking that with the dummy resistors in place the amp should power up normally on the dim-bulb-tester and come out of protection. On the DBT the voltages shown in the schematic will probably be a bit low but reasonably close to the stated values.

I have gotten very paranoid and try to enforce the habit of taking the extra 5 minutes to do the first start on the DBT even for minor work.

James
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to never turn anything on without the DBT again until I'm absolutely sure it's good to go, lol.
 
1711135799416.png
1711135830661.png

CA-610 II that has a "fuzzy" right channel but otherwise good for $175, but I'd have to drive about 2 hours... Worth it or no?

I need to quit looking at for sale ads, lol.
 
Back
Top Bottom