• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yard Sale Find

hewlew1

Active Member
I picked up 2 pair of speakers this weekend at my community yard sale. Kenwood KL-777S and a pair of Acoustic Audio both for 40 bucks. How did I do?
 

Attachments

  • DCP_0021.JPG
    DCP_0021.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 115
  • DCP_0023.JPG
    DCP_0023.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 299
Register to hide this ad
the acoustic audio might be a white van speaker. so be carefull when driving it. though someone more knowledgeable could and might corect me.
 
The Kenwoods look in great shape.They should be reliable,and very efficient,meaning they wont take much power to drive them loudly.
I might be wrong but I think the Acoustic Audio speakers are "white van speakers",meaning they were probably knockoffs,or off brand speakers.
The Kenwoods alone though are worth what you paid for them.Nice.
Jimmy
Sorry Budget,I was still writing my post when you posted it.
 
Last edited:
I just got a pair of the same big Kenwoods this week. They came with a Sansui 9090. I have them hooked up in the garage now, listened to them all day. They are not bad, I needed the loudness switch on at low volumes, and at louder volumes I switched it off and used an equalizer. I would compare them to many of the big speakers of the day, (Sansui, Pioneer)too many drivers in the box. That being said, they all are fine in the right application. I am an old geezer and prefer the more mellow, neutral sounding speakers now. My kids LOVE them big honkers, they sound so much better than their cell phones they use to rock out on.
 
Coral must have made a mint selling drivers to Pioneer, Sansui and Kenwood! Seems like all three competed to see who could jam the most in a box! These Kenwoods were as good as any of them. Seems there was a lot of those speakers named "Acoustic (insert some other cool name here)" back in the late 80's, early 90's. I don't think these will hurt anything, I doubt you'll like them.
 
Acoustic Audio = Acoustic Monitor = White Van

They make good test speakers for testing amps of unknown condition.

attachment.php


attachment.php
 
nothing to be sorry about 2dualsnotenough no wrong done.
i was trying to see the posts. seems it ends where i posted. but i can see the other posts on te go advanced screen.
 
Do they still try to work that white van scam anymore?

Sorry to take this a little off topic, but they sure do. I was loading stuff into my car in front of Lowes the other day, when a dude in a gray SUV drove up to a couple of guys just about to walk into the store, wound down the window, and asked: "Hey, would you guys like a brand new home theater?"

I was meaning to come in and ask why he didn't drive a while van, but the prospective victims apparently knew about the scam as well, and told him to take a hike in no uncertain terms. He sped off before I could even say anything.

I was kind of shocked to see in action what I had only read about online before, but in hindsight the area where this occurred was perfect for this scam. Streetsboro, OH is basically a accumulation of big shops at the intersection of two major highways, I80 and I480 providing the scamsters with easy and fast access from both Akron and Cleveland, as well as a rich hunting ground for potential victims :thumbsdn:

Frank
 
they sure do. theres even a retail store(dollar store type of place) that carries one pair of speakers. they were in the papers a while back if i remember correctly. theyve been there for years. they want 250 for them. they even have the 1500.00 msrp on them. they look nice at first glance and at second glance, even at the 3rd glance they look nice. nice looking poc. digital audios. apparently they dont mind scamming someone for them. and they know theyve been scammed for them

i was almost drawn to them. almost. wheew!
 
I've seen several pairs of "white van" speakers in pawn shops, usually priced for resale above $100. Seems the white van people scammed nearly every pawn shop in town.
 
I just got a pair of the same big Kenwoods this week. They came with a Sansui 9090. I have them hooked up in the garage now, listened to them all day. They are not bad, I needed the loudness switch on at low volumes, and at louder volumes I switched it off and used an equalizer. I would compare them to many of the big speakers of the day, (Sansui, Pioneer)too many drivers in the box. That being said, they all are fine in the right application. I am an old geezer and prefer the more mellow, neutral sounding speakers now. My kids LOVE them big honkers, they sound so much better than their cell phones they use to rock out on.

Rocking out on a cell phone...where is this world headed!

Russellc
 
The Acoustic Audio look like the ones I just dissasembled for some parts...the drivers are marked "Radio Shack"

sounded boomy with overpowering hollow mid range
 
Great find on the Kenwoods. If their anything like my kl-999dx's they are a good loud speaker.
 
Sir. Byrd, The Kenwoods came with the grilles. The grilles are intact but the fabric looks a little faded in some areas. The cabinets have a few corner dings, I was going to repair them and then relaminate them with real wood veneer. Anybody have the years of production for the Kenwoods.
 
Back
Top Bottom