• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yard sale find

EVBoy

Super Member
Unusual yard sale find - Rogers LS 3/5 A monitors. First pair of Rogers speakers I've ever seen. Any opinions on them?
 
Register to hide this ad
There is a huge amount of info around about these BBC monitors.

I have never owned a set of them, but they have a great rep.

Great find. Pics?
 
POC

Will offer you $10.:D

Seriously, that´s a piece of British audio history you got in your hands.

BBC designed for in-studio close-up monitoring, though many people use them as domestic mini-monitors to great effect.

Manufacturing licenses were granted to several manufactures, including KEF, Harbeth, Spendor and Rogers. The Rogers seem to be the most widely available.

The LS3-5a´s won´t take too much power and bass is limited, but whatever there is is just great. As for midrange probably one of the best speakers ever made.
 
A little bit of bragging I guess and I thought you guys would be interested as they are not a common find. Here are a couple of photos.
 
Last edited:
Darn I am never in the right continent, state, city, or block for a steal like that! And don't tell us you got them for $10 each either....but really GREAT GOING MAN!! I just hope the gold mine never shuts down for us lucky few AKers!!
 
Nice, the first high end system I ever heard was a pair of LS 3/5As with an M&K Volkswoofer. I think a Linn TT with DB acoustics electronics. The electronics are a little fuzzy in the memory. It was a tiny little shop in Charlotte in '79 during my junior year in HS. Judging from the 15 ohm impedance they are likely very early models.
 
Very nice score for any price under about $1000.00! I've used a pair of Chartwell LS3/5as since 1979. You can join the Yahoo groups LS3/5a group. Large number of members who can tell you about anything you could possibly want to know about the speakers. The group was started by Paul Whatton, the son of one of the BBC engineers who originally worked on the design of the speaker. Paul also has a website at www.ls35a.com.

Hope you enjoy your find. With good electronics and on proper stands, they are quite remarkable.

Best regards,
Mike
 
Whenever I see a post of certain items offered at a yard sale --I always picture the former owner spinning in his grave. :sigh:
 
That's often true but not in this case. The yard sale guy said they belonged to his buddy who told him to be sure and sell them because they were too heavy to lug home.
 
I swear - that model number must show up in every issue of every audiophile magazine ever printed. If they're reviewing mini-monitors you can be sure it will. Like any Concord Jazz record, those speakers would be an automatic purchase.
Great find!
C'mon, pony up. How much did you pay?
 
If I said what I paid for them then everyone at AK would hate me. They were extremely cheap though. I've seen Yorx for more.
 
If I said what I paid for them then everyone at AK would hate me. They were extremely cheap though. I've seen Yorx for more.

Hey! We already hate you just for finding them.

Next you'll be telling us that you left the Quad ESL 57's on the free pile because they were too big to fit in the car and those big McIntosh thingies because they were too heavy and they had glass tubes in them.

David
 
Back
Top Bottom