• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yet another AR XA rebuild thread

About the plinth, will probably go with oak aswell. I have a luthier friend who will help/ advise on french polishing. About the measurements my initial thoughts were to copy the original plinths outer measurements. I have a pristine looking dust cover that might be practical to be able to use.
I want the top plate to sit flush, yes. Looked really nice on yours @vishalk
Would you like to share your thoughts on measurements?
Did you copy the original plinth and just added some height?
I am a luthier as well. French polishing is fairly simple to do but be aware that alcohol (present in many stylus cleaning fluids) may damage the finish.
 
Your mass loading looks similar to vishalk's If Im not mistaken.
His method may be better in theory because it puts the mass lower; more equal to the mass above the T bar. How much does that matter...........? I went with the 1/2” ply, rubber hose and silicone for two main reasons:
1) They were at hand.
2) They seemed a reasonable way of getting the job done and not introducing any resonances.

There are probably many ways to skin this cat. Do what works for you and know that you are going to have a very nice sounding turntable when it’s done!
 
Some updates: We have recieved the tonearms from Sfrost together with delrin thrust plates from Jose.
DSC-2451-01.jpg


Also solid oak plinths are being built at the moment by a friend. We have also polished the platter spindle with 800-3000 grit paper. How about polishing the spindle well / sleeve? Seems a bit risky and difficult!?

Awaiting some help regarding mass loading from Vishalk!
 
Some updates: We have recieved the tonearms from Sfrost together with delrin thrust plates from Jose.
DSC-2451-01.jpg


Also solid oak plinths are being built at the moment by a friend. We have also polished the platter spindle with 800-3000 grit paper. How about polishing the spindle well / sleeve? Seems a bit risky and difficult!?

Awaiting some help regarding mass loading from Vishalk!

Where did you get those tonearms from, I have a AR as well and looking to improve it.
Thanks
 
Any updates ? :D

Athanasios
Yes, our plinth are being made right now. My brother will post some pictures from the wood shop.
My next step is going to start working on the power supply and power cables. I hope my power supply is still in good condition, but some of the cables are in really bad shape and needs to be replaced. Does any one have ideas on what cable gauge to go for? AWG 20? I also want to install some RCA sockets and choosing between Neutrik NF2D or Rean NYS367. My original power cord is staying on as it looks kind of cool with some kind of fabric on it.
 
I got hold on some swedish natural tanned raindeer hide to try make a mat for the XA.
I did a test rund on some flawed pieces. It was quite easy to cut thorough with a carpet knife, using the platter as the template.
DSC-2441-01-1.jpg
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: T68
.. And yes, oak wood for the plinths have been cut and glued together with biquit joiners. Will post pictures of the plinths in due time!
20200917-213748-01.jpg

The top plate will rest on a wooden border attached on the inside of the plinth, supported from corner pillars(?) where, also the feet will be attached to underneath.
 
That looks like a smart solution. Im thinking of just drilling two holes in the plinth and attaching a plate to mount on, on the inside.
 
When in doubt do what they did....


But, now that I think about it a while you might need a separate ground after your mod...
 
Back
Top Bottom