• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Yosemite Or Yellowstone??

omri617

Super Member
Hi Guys , Coming for a couple of weeks vacation to the U.S , (Concert in Las Vegas)
Landing at L.A , want to make sort of road trip and need to choose between the parks , what would you recommend / suggest?
Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
Boy, all depends how much time you have and how far you're willing to roam. Being wintertime, much of Yellowstone is closed. I would suggest Joshua Tree, Death Valley, Yosemite, and a little further buy highly worth it, the Grand Canyon (which is about a 5 1/2 hour drive from Vegas)
 
How much time should me and my wife be giving for Yellowstone?

I'd spend at least 4 days in Yellowstone and a day or two in the Tetons (just south of Yellowstone), particularly if you're up for some very scenic mountain hikes. Yellowstone is an other-worldy awesome place and pretty much the entire park deserves to be seen/explored. From a geologic POV, the area from Old Faithful to Norris Geyser Basin to Mammoth Hot Springs is probably the most interesting. The Lamar Valley in the Northeast has fantastic Western vistas and the Canyon area with its waterfalls are great. Go to the Hayden Valley at dusk with good optics to view critters.

Here's the official map:

http://d1njyp8tsu122i.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/NPS_Official_Park_Map-11.pdf
 
I've been to the Grand canyon twice, and to Yosemite many, many times. I've driven through the area around Yellowstone several times, although I've never gone into the park itself.

If this is a once in a lifetime trip, and you want to see a part of the American West that will absolutely blow you away, make you think: "OMG, this can't be real!!!", it's the Grand Canyon, hands down. A close second is Yosemite. Even better for you, the Grand Canyon will be in wildflower season by mid-May, Yosemite will be fully open, and the unbelievable waterfalls in Yosemite will still be at full force. The scenery in Yosemite is beyond spectacular. You'll be in awe.

Yellowstone is a different "feel", sort of a look back 150 years to a time when the West was still a virgin wilderness. Basically it will be just barely coming out of winter hibernation in mid-May. It won't be very green yet, if at all. Lakes will still be frozen, and while the daytime temps will be in the 50's and 60's, it will be near freezing every night. Light crowds, and this time of year will be the best to see wild animals. It's without question one of America's iconic national parks, and definitely worth seeing, but I'd put the other two first on your list.

You can easily drive to either the Grand Canyon or Yosemite from LA, but Yellowstone is a day and a half, minimum, or a flight. It's a little over 1,000 miles, one way.

The good news is the time of year. Since you're going to be there before Memorial Day, which is the kick-off to summer vacation time, you'll be ahead of the worst of the crowds. I would definitely Google pics of all three, to give you a better idea. Pay attention to the time of year, though, particularly for Yellowstone.

You'll thoroughly enjoy it no matter which one you choose! :yes:
 
Thanks a lot guys! I appreciate it..
I'm starting to be more and more convinced about Yellowstone .
The plan is landing in L.A , few days there and around. Then , drive to Las Vegas to attend Fleetwood Mac concert :) then , the course is open. by the posts of the friends above , I'm thinking about driving east to Grand Canyon , and then up north to Yellowstone and Tetons
How does that sound? :)
 
We went to Yellowstone about 5 days after it opened for the season. Very laid back and relaxing pace (unlike summertime with the crowds). Some of the attractions on the north side still still closed early season but still well worth driving the north side of the park. There are areas within the park which are closed due to the bears coming out of hibernation.

Old Faithful Inn is spectacular looking on the inside and a wonderful place to stay

Two other area's of the West I'd highly recommend if you had the time in Bryce & Zion in southern Utah
 
If doing the Grand Canyon then Yellowstone, then really try to squeeze Zion and Bryce into your schedule - you won't regret it!

I've hiked the Grand Canyon over thirty times (will hike again in March) if you're curious about going down the trails, let me know - I can give you some do's and don'ts

I would start making your GC reservations ASAP - It can book up really fast. Book more days now than you need to cover any possible changed in your itinerary and cancel the extra days when you get closer to your arrival.

You can make most of your reservations online here http://www.xanterra.com/
 
Last edited:
Old Faithful Inn is already booked ! i can't almost find anything available! WOW.
What are the alternatives ?
 
There's some lodges and things down by the Grand Tetons on the lake, It's a bit far but you could possibly use that as a hub. There's also a lot of lodging outside the east entrance of the park. I'm not sure if the east gate is open year round or not though...
 
Thanks a lot guys! I appreciate it..
I'm starting to be more and more convinced about Yellowstone .
The plan is landing in L.A , few days there and around. Then , drive to Las Vegas to attend Fleetwood Mac concert :) then , the course is open. by the posts of the friends above , I'm thinking about driving east to Grand Canyon , and then up north to Yellowstone and Tetons
How does that sound? :)

Though I love Yellowstone (as there's no place like it other than parts of Iceland), it's quite a drive from the Grand Canyon to Yellowstone (~14 hours). Given where you're going to be, I'd probably do Death Valley, Yosemite, the Grand Canyon and the national parks in southern Utah (Canyonlands, Bryce, Zion, Arches) and maybe Mesa Verde in SW Colorado.
 
What he suggested, ^^.
Zion Nat'l Park is only ~2 hours from Vegas, and is an amazing place. It would be glorious in May.
 
I think the most direct route from Vegas to the southern border of Yellowstone is around 750 miles/1200km. Yosemite, depending on the route available is between 410 and 500 miles (±750km). Note these distances are one way. Also, there is a LOT to see on the way to Yellowstone if you are willing to get sidetracked a little bit.

Zion NP, Bryce Canyon NP, Capitol Reef NP, Canyonlands NP and Arches NP in this order are all more or less on the drive north to Yellowstone, and are all worth seeing .

Zion and Bryce are perhaps not as well known as the Grand Canyon, and though not as large are every bit as spectacular. There have been 2 major collapse in Arches within the last 20 years or so... a big piece of Landscape Arch in 1991, and Wall Arch in 2008. I think this is reason to see them in itself....who knows how long before more collapse?

And there are also places to see on the way to Yosemite - Sequoia and Kings Canyon NPs, and Death Valley are all more or less on the way. Joshua Tree National Monument is a few hours out of the way south.

I think whatever you decide on will come down to how much time you have to spend. Do a little research online and see what sort of things interest you the most.
 
I worked in Yellowstone in 2009 and spent as much time as possible exploring it. If you want a few suggestions, shoot me a PM with your number and I'll call you. One of my good friends was a tour guide. Yellowstone is incredible. There's so much more to it than the boardwalks and geysers...
 
Landing in L.A. stop by Yosemite while your out west,it is a 5 hour drive north from L.A. and you can do Yosemite in a day, Make sure you visit Glacier Point first before you head into the Yosemite valley floor. At that point you can head out to Las Vegas and after keep going to the Grand Canyon. etc..
 
Back
Top Bottom