• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Your Speakers and Your Wife

index.php

"Oh honey, it's just what I always wanted! And so big!"
 
As I've browsed the net, I always seem to run into tales about one's significant other having an impact on their equipment choices. I'm curious if anyone has some stories they'd like to share. :D

I was just killing time listening to speakers one day and stumbled on a pair that I thought sounded amazing. She found me in the speaker room and I said "Check these out". After listening to them for a bit she said "Wow, those really do sound good. How do the bigger ones next to them sound?"
 
A person should find out another persons preferences prior to marrying them.....that was my mistake!! When it came to the choice of living without a wife or the sound, I chose to keep the sound...

Women are like war, there’s always another one coming around the corner !!!
 
One day these arrived by a big truck. My son helped me unbox them and cary them in I set them up and my wife never said one word she just kept fixing dinner.
(After I wrote this it sounds a lot worse then it really is). I mean she is not bare foot and pregnant.
IMG_3048.JPG
 
The only thing my wife has ever said about my current speakers is, "Those sound nice."

whew...
 
I love my wife. She hates any speakers.. Big ones little ones, light ones dark ones. Good sounding or bad sounding, she hates them all. But she knows I like them and lets me do what ever I want. So she's awesome. I recently brought a pair of Yamaha NS 690ii and set them up in the home theater next to the DefTech towers. She saw them and said, "Those new speakers sound good." So I asked, "Oh... you like them?" And she said, "No, they are ugly and horrible and I hate them." But they are still there!
 
My significant other had been a professional reed player, a prof. ballerina, worked managing 3 or 4 different LP stores, sung with semi professional choirs, among many other talents. Her first husband and she had worked in Hifi Stores in Sales while in College, and did other jobs connected with sound for over 22 years. So when we got together after his passing, we continued the love of music in the home, live concerts , ballets, dance and music concerts of all types for the next 38 years. I helped her master photography and discover fun of rv travel. She was very familiar with Klipsch, Altec, JBL, eV, AR, KLH, Jensen, etc.having sold the stuff. They had owned Mac, Marantz and Sansui. Now she was never shy about expressing her opinions. Some salesmen and managers quaked when she walked through the door with a big smile and a cute wink. Fortunately for me she loved Bozaks as much as I do. So we never had any issues. She was very sensitive into the way a speaker produced the sound of the Clarinet family. She cringed listening to Altec A7's, her first husbands favorites. Couldn't stand JBL ring radiators, Bose,or most planar speakers saying the balance was just all wrong. She had no problem with me changing from stereo to 6.0 home theatre. Like me she thought sub woofers were a crutch. She never heard a HT system she liked, NEVER! with subwoofers. So she readily approved of me adding original Bozaks for the center rear and side channels. Having attended Altec seminars, she approved of room equalization as a necessary step. She even helped me study to pass my TEF Seminar tests. The last speakers we auditioned to gether were S5 and S3 Magico's and 3.7 Magneplans. She thought the 3.7 were a total failure. The S5 had serious lower midrange and upper bass issues, which a MC 275 VI helped. She considered the tweeter very good. She encouraged me to keep our system up to date and even paid for some of the updates herself. She paid for her oldest sons NAD Klipsch HT system. She insisted I keep the system working properly or turn it off. She would voice any objections to the system immediately and would help me trouble shoot the systems when necessary. She would even travel as my translator when installing professional systems where Spanish was spoken. She was always a new speaker systems worst critic. She always was very systematic and critical of Klipsch newer speakers as she had known Paul from the middle 50's. Cornwall I were her favorites and she had Herseys I in the Master bedroom before I came along. She was a special lady. She passed on last year. We were looking forward to updating the system one more time, alas it hasn't happened. Maybe if I win the Lottery. I did once when I met her.
 
Last edited:
Great stuff twiiii. Happy you had a great partner there. Sorry of course she is no longer with us.
 
Amen to that, and same here. Before getting married, I made sure she knew that my audio hobby will continue after marriage. Heard no objections it worked fine, because she heard the system and was spoiled (lol). Enjoyed the sound together for many years.
 
Well, I've got two to be concerned about my longtime GF and me ol-mum. When I showed them a pair of Duntech Sovereign 2001 they both grumbled but would have consented had I pressed the issue.
One morning I got an email from my "Wanted: Epicure 3.0" advert I had on kijiji. A nice fellow from Halifax, the second owner who bought them off a retired Navy man who carted a pair of speakers around the world, emailed me telling me "I know you are looking for the Epicure 3.0 but I have a pair of Epi M1000".
A few back and forth emails with pictures sent. Borrowed my mates van and my other mate Alex who came with me to pick up these badly in need of tlc resto project....
I've a pretty detailed thread on here to their restoration but both of the above 'Bosses' were actually chuffed. Both love them and have totally different impressions between them and their wish list Duntech competitors....
That's the basic story from my memory which is told, I think, on the first page of my thread..lol

Didn't know you had a pair of Duntechs. I picked up a pair of Viscounts from recycling last year and they have been in storage ever since, are they worth pulling out to have a listen? I think they use Morel drivers
 
Didn't know you had a pair of Duntechs. I picked up a pair of Viscounts from recycling last year and they have been in storage ever since, are they worth pulling out to have a listen? I think they use Morel drivers
Absolutely
I have princess and Marquis
Both brilliant
 
My wife and I live in the house I grew up in. It's a 3 bedroom ranch. We have no children. My listening room is my childhood bedroom. I can have whatever I like in there,and she never says a word. She told me once that it doesn't bother her that I have a dedicated "man cave",because she knows I'm home,and not at the bar!
 
Back
Top Bottom