• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Z19 Crossover

Look at the Mid/High L-pad adjustment control plate from Parts Express I used in the prototype. You'll simply make a flat plate to accept that of the appropriate size, and install it in your existing (stock) cabinet opening, and the controls will be in the stock location.

I'm trying to get you all committed to working through the details of a successful install of these in your builds. I'm here to help with suggestions, and to review whatever you come up with, but I'm NOT going to do it for you. Get past that; don't be afraid to use your heads and your own creativity -- this is not rocket science -- these are your projects, not mine. Again, I've done my part and then some here, already....
 
Last edited:
As proven by my photos- this network can be put in the same plates as the old components were. You strip othe original plate clean then mount away! I even made extra room for a terminal stip so biamping can later be accomplished.
DC
 
As proven by my photos- this network can be put in the same plates as the old components were. You strip othe original plate clean then mount away! I even made extra room for a terminal stip so biamping can later be accomplished.
DC

I don't have the crossovers so I am starting from scratch. But that's a good idea to keep the factory look.
 
:lmao:

A shephard needs patience, after all; he's herding sheep!...

Zilch has been here daily for nearly 3 years supporting the EconoWave, not to mention other Audiokarma threads with a total of 12,500 posts to date. I am reminded somewhat of the patience of JOB. I have witnessed the effort that Zilch recently put into making this proprietary information regarding Z19 available to DIY builders everywhere. When it came time to prepare the scans, as you see above, I did that for him. I am further reminded of another old adage related to "looking a gift horse in the mouth." :thmbsp:
 
Follow the diagram

Thanks very much Zilch! I am going to attempt this. At $185 or so this is less than one used xo.
I hate to bother, but is it possible to see a pic of the other side of the board on the 1st page? I'd like to see the layout from the other side as I'm a complete beginner at this.
Is the board in cm or inches?

Get some 'tag strips' and some wire (cheat and use red and green just like in the diagram) Copy the diagram exactly in '3D' and you will have a working crossover. It really can't get any easier unless you just buy them.
See my 'Franken val' thread for an example. That is the first and second crossover I have ever made. I'm sure the first one worked (the CD was found to be non-working.) Have fun making some crossovers - you CAN do it. :D
 
Last edited:
Zilch has been here daily for nearly 3 years supporting the EconoWave, not to mention other Audiokarma threads with a total of 12,500 posts to date. I am reminded somewhat of the patience of JOB. I have witnessed the effort that Zilch recently put into making this proprietary information regarding Z19 available to DIY builders everywhere. When it came time to prepare the scans, as you see above, I did that for him. I am further reminded of another old adage related to "looking a gift horse in the mouth." :thmbsp:

I don't think anyone was "looking a gift horse in the mouth", just asking some newbie questions. I have alot of respect for Zilch and I've told him that before on many occassions.

As for my comment, thats what we refer to as humor.
 
I don't think anyone was "looking a gift horse in the mouth", just asking some newbie questions. I have alot of respect for Zilch and I've told him that before on many occassions.

As for my comment, thats what we refer to as humor.

Yes. I'm in no way expecting more from Zilch and I realize the untold hours to get a project to this point. And offering it to AK'ers is extremely generous.
I consider myself fortunate to have Zilch's design available at the same time I have a set of 19's without crossovers. These speakers will sing again because this option is available. And they should sound every bit as good or better than the original xo's.
 
Last edited:
Having built and compared this network to the original, I found the "Z19" network to be audibly superior to the original networks.

Given the advancement in today technoloy, advancement in xover components and the earnest that Zilch has shown, we are indeed fortunate to have the improved network that we now have today. While the old networks did acomplish a certain level of "tonality" and respectable function, the Z19's do take it further yet.

The original drivers were and still are truly exceptional, it is great to know that they can be made to sound even better with this netwwork upgrade!
DC
 
Having built and compared this network to the original, I found the "Z19" network to be audibly superior to the original networks.

I think this is because of the greater range of adjustability on the Z19 networks, compared to the original Altec 19 network. It allows for a flatter response, in-practice, when calibrated right...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
I have compiled my parts list using the Solens caps. Many thanks to Zilch for making this possible.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/basket/purchase.cfm
Since I am building two the parts are double. Would anyone care to critique this list or suggest anything else for a guy who lives in the middle of nowhere?
I have read that anything from cardboard to plywood can be used for the board so I'm not sure if I should order from Parts Express or use what I have lying around. A buddy of mine has offered me 2 small pieces of carbon fibre but I'm going to mount them internally rather than externally like I mentioned earlier.
I'd rather just order and get it done so any suggestions are welcome to this Z19 build!
 
I click your shopping cart link, and it opens mine.

Do a screen shot, load it into Paint, save as JPG, and upload it to the AK site as a post attachement so we can review it.

Carbon fibre is conductive, I believe, and thus not suitable. I build on electrical-grade 1/8" fiberglass from McMaster-Carr. Masonite is fine. Use that; just drill holes through at the marked locations (print it out full-size and use that as a template to mark them on the board), mount the components, and wire per the diagram on the back side.... :yes:
 
Last edited:
Thanks Zilch.
I will pass on the carbon fibre then. I looked through Parts express but it seems the crossover boards have printed patterns for other layouts.
I noticed that the board has 4 inputs for HF and LF. I actually pulled a few xo's out of some of my other speakers to have a look. I found that they were built kind of sloppy (Pioneer, Sansui) and each only had 2 inputs. Do I run two sets of wires from the input of the bottom of the speaker? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question.
Is this for a bi-amp option?

Dayton DNR-2.0 2 Ohm 10W Precision Audio Grade Resistor
Part Number: 004-2 In Stock $1.25 (2) $2.50

Dayton DNR-4.0 4 Ohm 10W Precision Audio Grade Resistor
Part Number: 004-4 In Stock $0.98 (4) $3.92

Solen 3.3uF 400V Polypropylene Capacitor
Part Number: 027-544 In Stock $3.25 (2) $6.50

Solen 3.9uF 400V Polypropylene Capacitor
Part Number: 027-548 In Stock $3.54 (2) $7.08

Solen 4.7uF 400V Polypropylene Capacitor
Part Number: 027-552 In Stock $3.88 (2) $7.76

Solen 6.2uF 400V Polypropylene Capacitor
Part Number: 027-558 In Stock $4.31 (2) $8.62

Solen 9.1uF 400V Poylpropylene Capacitor
Part Number: 027-566 In Stock $6.15 (2) $12.30

Solen 12uF 400V Polypropylene Capacitor
Part Number: 027-572 In Stock $7.03 (2) $14.06

Solen 16uF 400V Polypropylene Capacitor
Part Number: 027-578 In Stock $8.45 (2) $16.90

L-Pad 100W Mono 1" Shaft 8 Ohm
Part Number: 260-265 In Stock $12.14 (4) $48.56

Dual L-Pad Face Plate Vertical
Part Number: 260-274 In Stock $1.70 (2) $3.40

Erse Super Q 2.7mH 16 AWG 500W Inductor
Part Number: 266-910 In Stock $18.98 (2) $37.96

Dayton DNR-3.0 3 Ohm 10W Precision Audio Grade Resistor
Part Number: 004-3 In Stock $1.25 (2) $2.50

Jantzen 0.30mH 18 AWG Air Core Inductor
Part Number: 255-218 In Stock $4.95 (2) $9.90

Jantzen 0.80mH 18 AWG Air Core Inductor
Part Number: 255-242 In Stock $7.05 (2) $14.10

45 Day No Hassle Return Policy Order Subtotal: $196.06
 
Last edited:
Under $200 a pair, certainly cheaper than buying old used stock ones that would themselves require recapping themselves with some of these same components.

I'll check your list later this evening, maybe -- trying to get my own PC version laid out here today.... :yes:
 
Under $200 a pair, certainly cheaper than buying old used stock ones that would themselves require recapping themselves with some of these same components.

I'll check your list later this evening, maybe -- trying to get my own PC version laid out here today.... :yes:

That pair on ebay sold for $400. This is an unbelievable value for someone in my position.
About L-pads. Is the one on your build (1st page) the same as I ordered or what you have on the list? The reason I ask is the L-pad plate comes with two knobs and the L-pads I ordered come with knobs and a 1 inch shaft. I am thinking the shaft may be to long to work with the plate and that the shorter versions of the same L-pad (260-262) without knobs would be a better choice.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-262
 
This is one of my Z19 crossovers. I did not build it, rather I paid someone else to. I may give it a shot the next time.

The board is 8 3/4 X 10 inches.

Anyone care to comment on the spectrum analyzer trace graph?
 

Attachments

  • z191.jpg
    z191.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 292
  • z193.jpg
    z193.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 378
This is one of my Z19 crossovers. I did not build it, rather I paid someone else to. I may give it a shot the next time.

The board is 8 3/4 X 10 inches.

Anyone care to comment on the spectrum analyzer trace graph?

Those look pretty good. I was going to pay somebody to build them but there are only two guys who do this where I live and both said no. So I am going to do it myself. I like the connections on that board.
I hope mine look half as good.
 
Back
Top Bottom