• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

Zilch,

Yes, I digested some of that info but I do think it would be advantageous to
have it grouped together with the rest of it on page one(a link for passive biampers?).

I ordered a pair of 2.5mh air core inductors and a pair of 15 ohm Mills resistors to create the networks for loading the high pass amp.
 
Looks like a cap farm Vaughn. What schematic did you use? Are most of those caps for the power supply?
 
I believe different density's/types just may be, I thinks it's definatly worth a measure or possibly two, :thmbsp:

As I see it the foam is there to attenuate whatever indirect-reflected-path HF distortion the WG produces. Furthermore,the bouncing-around-and-out-the-WG HF has to go thru a lot more foam, getting a lot more attenuation than the direct-from-the-throat HF if a full-WG foam insert is used. By that interpretation a little plug in the throat is just a fly trap with a bit of overall HF attenuation and otherwise no real benefit. Lining the WG with varying thicknesses/densities of foam would make more sense in that case, closed-cell foam is a possibility if the direct output doesn't have to pass thru it. That approach could have a negative effect on directivity which is probably why Geddes doesn't mention it. JMWAG.
S.B.
 
Only thing is one can speculate, and I have to, but the proof is in the pudding as they say.

And trying is the only true way to find out, the plugs I've made for myself and others have
been recieved rather well and no one has preferred there system without, once heard there
in for good, but yet it doesn't make all that much technical sense. So I say it is worth trying.

It's always possible on this type horn they react completely different, or different materials. :)

I'm not saying it will or should work, but it is an easy plus cheap test to find out, so it should
at least be given a test run, just to easy of a mod if it does become a benefit.
 
I have been speculating in response to your posted approach vs Geddes' ideas and finally put it out, glad to have your response. You have the benefit of hands-on with me doing what-if, without. Geddes' approach is supposed to clean up the WGs output as much as practicible but only a comparison, with appropriate HF comp, of both methods would reveal audible differences.
It's also possible the plug is smoothing the driver's upper-end anamolies, that could be measured.
S.B.


Only thing is one can speculate, and I have to, but the proof is in the pudding as they say.

And trying is the only true way to find out, the plugs I've made for myself and others have
been recieved rather well and no one has preferred there system without, once heard there
in for good, but yet it doesn't make all that much technical sense. So I say it is worth trying.

It's always possible on this type horn they react completely different, or different materials. :)

I'm not saying it will or should work, but it is an easy plus cheap test to find out, so it should
at least be given a test run, just to easy of a mod if it does become a benefit.
 
I hear yu, and I hope my response didn't come across as sounding harsh, was not what
I meant, but just let's see what it does verse what we think it will do.
 
Clearly, a short plug in the throat does not fulfill Geddes' prescription for waveguide HOM mitigation, however, by one perspective, the waveguide extends the full path length back to the diaphragm, including the phase plug and throat, also critical elements in the total waveguide performance, and it may be seen that discontinuities in these areas might generate diffraction and reflections. While the transverse path lengths are short relative to those exploited by the full waveguide foam plug solution, it is certainly conceivable that should such spurious reflections be present in this area, even this minimal intervention might yield some degree of performance improvement via attenuating them somewhat, as opposed to allowing them to propagate into the major flare at full intensity.... :yes:
 
Looks like a cap farm Vaughn. What schematic did you use? Are most of those caps for the power supply?

Yes, I've had a bumper crop of paper in oil capacitors this year!:D

It looks like a lot of capacitance but all of those you see are in parallel and only add up to 96uf, all for the power supply(which is isolated to the left plate). I used the 2001 version of JE Labs 2A3 circuit, on the Angela Instruments website.

Now back to my E-waves; I have built small modular boxes for the waveguides to mount in that I have then filled with sand. I am permanently
installing the waveguide in these so I have filled all of the screw head holes on the face of the waveguide to improve the appearance.
I want to keep the bass box separate from the waveguide section to facilitate experimentation. I should be receiving my precision ports today and then it is off to the races!
 
I made the mistake of posting a pic of my amp and my original question
got lost...

Has anyone removed the "bug" screen from there D220TI's, and if so with
what results?

I have heard of others doing this with Altec drivers with sound improvements...
 
I made the mistake of posting a pic of my amp and my original question
got lost...

Has anyone removed the "bug" screen from there D220TI's, and if so with
what results?

I have heard of others doing this with Altec drivers with sound improvements...

Yes, I removed the bug screen on my D210 and thought that made the sound more clear... Could be my imagination too but that's what I do in all of my horn drivers,
 
I have arrived. With my cheese sandwich too.
Go to Post #1 of this thread by clicking "First" at the top or bottom of this page.

Read the links which outline the nature and scope of the EconoWave project.

Come back with your questions, and E'Wavers will provide appropriate directions as to how you might proceed.... :thmbsp:
 
How are the JBL recone kits at Simply Speakers? Mulling over the fixing them instead of, well, you know. Got a pair of cheap cabs hear with Eminence woofers in them. No comparison to the JBL driver. Strong stout punchy clean, you know. Em was like limp, you know. So I may recone.
 
Back
Top Bottom