• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

What are typical woofers to be used with the E-waves? I have done a bunch of reading through this thread and haven't noticed any trend on woofers. It has typically been whatever woofer the user has on hand is what they use. I am starting with nothing and would like to build some of these on the cheap. They will be my first horns. Sort of an experiment.
 
Dave, how much do they cost? How would these compare to the LE14H-3's at $600 a pair?

~300.00 each for the standard motor and 400 each for the Apollo upgrade. The LE14H-3s go a bit deeper, don't go as high, and are less sensitive. Of course, they need much small enclosures. There are other TD15 variants (S, X, H) that could be better suited to someone's needs that may be more comparable to the LE14s.
 
Those woofers look amazing, and similar in price as the 2226. Are they made in the US? Too rich for me right now, and I'm now on to my 2nd pair of LE14As, but maybe one day when space and money permit these AES woofers would be nice to try out! Going beyond 'Econo' at that point....:D

Made in Green Bay, WI.
 
~300.00 each for the standard motor and 400 each for the Apollo upgrade. The LE14H-3s go a bit deeper, don't go as high, and are less sensitive. Of course, they need much small enclosures. There are other TD15 variants (S, X, H) that could be better suited to someone's needs that may be more comparable to the LE14s.
Thanks. Can you explain to be briefly (and in plain English) how and why they have four models with different sensitivities?
 
Last edited:
Purely for flexibility. One is optimized for high sensitivity and high frequency extension. 3 are higher excursion and fit a variety of installation requirements. TD15S is optimized for sealed enclosures, TD15H for ported enclosures and the TD15X are fairly flexible for sealed/ported and give up a little bit of deep bass extension for some higher sensitivity.
 
What are typical woofers to be used with the E-waves? I have done a bunch of reading through this thread and haven't noticed any trend on woofers. It has typically been whatever woofer the user has on hand is what they use. I am starting with nothing and would like to build some of these on the cheap. They will be my first horns. Sort of an experiment.
On the cheap, one proven approach has been to upgrade large Advents:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=196614
 
On the cheap, one proven approach has been to upgrade large Advents:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=196614

I have looked at these woofers. At that thread they are in about a 1.5 cubic foot enclosure. I see that right now there are a pair of reconed ones on Fleabay for about $125 shipped. Is this a good price for them? Where else can they be found? What are the T/S parameters for them? How sensitive are they compared to something like a 2226?
 
I have looked at these woofers. At that thread they are in about a 1.5 cubic foot enclosure. I see that right now there are a pair of reconed ones on Fleabay for about $125 shipped. Is this a good price for them? Where else can they be found? What are the T/S parameters for them? How sensitive are they compared to something like a 2226?
You said cheap.

You find Advents at thrift stores and yard sales for $20 or less to get them and refoam them yourself. I would not pay $125 for Advent woofers.
 
Purely for flexibility. One is optimized for high sensitivity and high frequency extension. 3 are higher excursion and fit a variety of installation requirements. TD15S is optimized for sealed enclosures, TD15H for ported enclosures and the TD15X are fairly flexible for sealed/ported and give up a little bit of deep bass extension for some higher sensitivity.

About the same price as new 2226 JBLs I think.
Something to consider, with options. That's an alnico magnet structure, looks like?
 
tsloms: Your sig doesn't show where you live, but large Advents, as used in that thread, are readily available all over. Check local thrift stores like Goodwill, Salvation Army, various hospices, St. Vincent dePaul, sheriff's aid organizations... the list goes on and on. A bit of looking plus patience brings rewards.

If you're not sure about your community, go HERE and type in your zip code. You may be amazed.

You should be able to find restorable large Advents for under $50. Maybe up to $100 for excellent condition. Paying any more than that is too much.
 
Thanks Paratima, I live about 30 minutes south of Green Bay, WI. I know that there are about a half dozen Goodwills and a few more St. Vincent DePaul's within 30-40 minutes from me. Maybe I ought to get off the computer and do a little window shopping instead. Looking on Ebay it seems that the refoam kits cost around $20. I have never done this before. Is it very difficult? I would think that keeping the cone centered in the magnet would be the key.
 
Thanks Paratima, I live about 30 minutes south of Green Bay, WI. I know that there are about a half dozen Goodwills and a few more St. Vincent DePaul's within 30-40 minutes from me. Maybe I ought to get off the computer and do a little window shopping instead. Looking on Ebay it seems that the refoam kits cost around $20. I have never done this before. Is it very difficult? I would think that keeping the cone centered in the magnet would be the key.

It is. Check the Speaker Forum Reference Threads at the top of the Speakers forum. There must be a couple hundred threads about refoaming. It's easy! :D AND, if you screw it up, another 20 bucks gets you another try.
 
I have looked at these woofers. At that thread they are in about a 1.5 cubic foot enclosure. I see that right now there are a pair of reconed ones on Fleabay for about $125 shipped. Is this a good price for them? Where else can they be found? What are the T/S parameters for them? How sensitive are they compared to something like a 2226?

I have no idea why some people pay $85 - $125 for a pair of Advent woofers. When a pair has to be purchased, they typically cost $40 - $60. When you find old Advent speakers the tweeters are sometimes bad due to abuse but are often good. If the speakers are converted to waveguides, the usable tweeters can be resold to speaker abusers to help offset the cost. The woofers are almost always foamless unless they've been re-foamed in the last 15 years. More often, people used the speakers until the foam gave out and then bought something more 'modern'. It's fussy but not difficult or expensive to refoam Advent woofers. I've accumulated another pile of 6 of the Masonite ones that need to be done so I'd better get on it. One of these days.
large Advents were made in huge numbers and should be available everywhere with a little poking around. haunt Craigslist and a pair will turn up for under $100. Beat the price down if the foam's shot. The last pair of Originals I bought were under $75 and that was off eB**. Last week I got a pair of Utilities with all working drivers, needing foam for $60. The cool thing about converting the original ones is the woofer choke matches one version of the ewave crossover, saving you another $15 or so for a pair of chokes.
 
I agree, you can find a pair of Large Advent's in good shape for $125. One of the main points I feel with the Econowave is it's name implication-economy.
You take a realitively inexpensive speaker with good bass, and make it a above average to excellent speaker.
I was fortunate to have a mint pair of OLA walnuts (2'74) for many years as my project- and I got some flack for sure my Advent lovers-buthchering-your'e dwindeling the supply of vintage speakers (this I have to laugh at given the sheer numbers of OLA's produced).
My advice-keep it simple and inexpensive to start with- but use your time to think out the project to have something your'e proud of- and will stand the test of time, so to speak. I have gotten most of my ideas from memebers pictures.
With a few exceptions, the circuit board/waveguide/Selenium driver, and crossover components, and a few things under $20, it was all laying around.
I finally finished one crossover board, both x-over mounting boards and resealed one cabinet seams- they seamed fine, but I had sealer lying around-why not, to be on the safe side.
These both have plenty of fiberglass insulation, so I will leave that alone.
One note on the Ecowave circuit boards, use permenent 3m double sided tape, instead of a cable tie. The coil want's to slip out of the loop, and it isn't going anywhere with the 3m stuff, at least in the next 20 years.
Just remeber, if your'e using OLA walnut cab's, you need to grind the waveguide, just to the edges of the first countersink on the side screw holes-the it fits perfectly.
Good luck tsloms!!:thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom