• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

golana: I used the 10" Daytons in my KLH-17 upgrade project detailed HERE. They are awesome!

tsloms: If you're worried about fiberglass fibers in the air from a ported design, use Acousta-Stuf. I did, in the project linked above. 2 pounds per cubic foot.

Thanks, I already read thru that twice :D
Someone else also used them with great results.

Once installed[lined] w/fiberglass, spay it heavilly with hairspray. should hold it down.
 
I'd think treating the filler with anything would negatively alter it's "lossiness" and damping ability. It's the friction between the loose fibers that makes it work in this app, right?.
 
Yeah, you gotta get rid of the backing on residental fiberglass.

Can't always find what you want without it, though.... :dunno:
 
Did anyone try the Dayton H12RW 12" Round Waveguide??

IT seems its resembles Geddes waveguides and would have less of a "Horn" sound?
 
Did anyone try the Dayton H12RW 12" Round Waveguide??

IT seems its resembles Geddes waveguides and would have less of a "Horn" sound?

Supposedly the JBL 338800 horns in the Ewaves do not give a "horn" sound. Hopefully I will find out in the next week.

I could never see paying up to $400 for one of the simple Geddes waveguides. They could easily be made for less than $10. Talk about a markup.
 
Supposedly the JBL 338800 horns in the Ewaves do not give a "horn" sound. Hopefully I will find out in the next week.

I could never see paying up to $400 for one of the simple Geddes waveguides. They could easily be made for less than $10. Talk about a markup.


Im with you on the costs but the science behind his designs is hard to question and conical make sense. Im hoping John @ AE will have a waveguide designed by the end of the year that does not cost too much and the PE round waveguides look similar so maybe they do a similar job?

For this project I already ordered the Pyle PH612 horn from PE (I hope its similar to the JBLs) so I will find out how this sounds with Lambda woofers

My questions are just curosity too since Im actually not to concerned about any "Horn" sound considering Im a life long Klipsch fan :D
 
Did anyone try the Dayton H12RW 12" Round Waveguide??

IT seems its resembles Geddes waveguides

A friend of mine who designs stuff said that it wasn't so great. Though from the front you see either one as a circle, what makes a waveguide is the expansion geometry you would see if you cut a cross-section and looked at it from the side. Also I think he said it could use more damping.

But I understand that DDS has improved their build quality and consistency on their 90 degree circular. You might look there instead if you think you want a wavguide of that nature.
 
For this project I already ordered the Pyle PH612 horn from PE (I hope its similar to the JBLs) so I will find out how this sounds with Lambda woofers.
PH612 is virtually identical to the JBL PT waveguide. We have checked it out.

If you read the listener commentaries linked from Post #1, the single most common reaction is that E'Wave does NOT sound like a horn.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2528142#post2528142

Additionally, Wayne Parham offers a substantive argument in this thread as to why axi-asymmetric waveguides such as E'Wave are preferred over round ones. Geddes agrees, for other reasons, but can't make ellipticals in his garage. Well, he COULD, but he'd have to pay to have the mold made, a concept in apparent conflict with his view as to how the world should be.... ;)
 
Last edited:
I wanted to use some AE drivers in my Ewaves but could not bring myself to drop the $$ for them. I found my used 2226's on Fleabay for $260 shipped for the pair. That's less than half the price of the TD15M's. It's a shame though as I only live a half hour from AE headquarters. I guess I can always leave the TD's as a potential upgrade path along with the DE250 compression drivers.
 
PH612 is virtually identical to the JBL PT waveguide. We have checked it out.

If you read the listener commentaries linked from Post #1, the single most common reaction is that E'Wave does NOT sound like a horn.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2528142#post2528142

Additionally, Wayne Parham offers a substantive argument in this thread as to why axi-asymmetric waveguides such as E'Wave are preferred over round ones. Geddes agrees, for other reasons, but can't make ellipticals in his garage. Well, he COULD, but he'd have to pay to have the mold made, a concept in apparent conflict with his view as to how the world should be.... ;)


Thanks, I have read all that stuff many times (lots of great info). I guess I keep reading Geddes opinion and not taking it with a grain of sale. Wayne Parham's opinion on all this really helps me understand it better.

Time to find a fabrication facility to make elliptical waveguides :)
 
I wanted to use some AE drivers in my Ewaves but could not bring myself to drop the $$ for them. I found my used 2226's on Fleabay for $260 shipped for the pair. That's less than half the price of the TD15M's. It's a shame though as I only live a half hour from AE headquarters. I guess I can always leave the TD's as a potential upgrade path along with the DE250 compression drivers.

Nice pickup!! incredible price for two!!
 
I guess I keep reading Geddes opinion and not taking it with a grain of salt.
EconoWave implements Geddes's principles with a $9.90 waveguide, and in some respects, his own measurements demonstrated that we do it better. If you look REALLY carefully over on DIY audio, you'll find he ultimately apologized for saying some what he did there.... :yes:
 
Hi all,
I'm gonna give this a shot as it looks too good for me to pass up :)
I notice there is a following when it comes to going with "vintage?" JBL mid-bass drivers. Due to the availability and cost of those drivers I started a search for other candidates for my project.
I am starting with the 220ti and the 338800-001. I've also ordered the 6" x 6", and have plans to order the other 1" PT WG's once I get a feel for what the 338800-001 has to offer.

Intended use as HT Mains designed to be compatible with >/=80Hz HFP. As such I will be looking for a rising response at the bottom end to start my house curve.

In searching for mid-bass drivers I came across a couple and ended up buying a FaitalPro driver brought to my attention by another fellow DIY'er:

Faitalpro-12pr300-size225.gif

http://www.faitalpro.com/products/schede/ps.php?id=101050110
Currently on sale till the end of the month @ US Speaker $125

WN-12S.jpg

http://www.loudspeakersplus.com/images/WN-12S.pdf
$104 @ Loudspeakers Plus

And for the JBL faithful there is the 262H
262H-1.jpg

This is listed @ $168 from JBL parts, dunno for sure on the availability though

the 262H and the 2408H are used in the MRX512M along with another neat looking PT WG that's on my shopping list
JBLHorn354267-001.jpg


Has anyone tried the 2408H/J on the EWG yet? I hear this driver has BMS roots and I will probably order one as it is cheaper than the BMS 4540nd.
 
Last edited:
Has anyone tried the 2408H/J on the EWG yet? I hear this driver has BMS roots and I will probably order one as it is cheaper than the BMS 4540nd.
Yes, I have used 2406, 7, and 8 as well as 4540nd. I think of them more as VHF drivers; they can't be pushed low enough for service as general purpose compression drivers. In smaller two-ways with woofers that'll play nicely in the 2 - 3 kHz range, or three-way in combination with midbass drivers that reach there, fine. They require different HF comp than the Seleniums, but I've never worked that out passively.

That MRX PT waveguide is tempting; I may order up a pair.... :yes:

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/support/getfile.aspx?doctype=3&docid=596

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/MRX Series/MRX512M.pdf
 
Last edited:
I like the WN 12S drive, spec wise, the best. There is not nearly as much drop off under 100hz. It says the FS is 50hz but when I look at the graph it looks like it will work a heck of a lot lower than that.
 
bauhausler is using a pair that i left with him. I'm sure he will chime in soon.

chime!

I compared the 12" round to the PH612 with the ewave crossover. I'll have to make more comparisons, possibly with the Behringer DEQ2496 in RTA mode. The round horn seems to my ear to be beamier in the top octaves. Not conclusive. I'm away from home for a day or so so no more info until then.
 
Re: JBL 262H...

There's a pair of 265H frames in the back of the shop here, that were left behind (from the days where you couldn't get a recone kit).

Our parts supplier has started carrying the correct voice coil (dual coil packs)... it may be interesting to play around with those. Wonder if I should snag 'em...

Regards,
Gordon.
 
2 related questions:

1.) since the 2226H is a popular ewave woofer, is 15" woofer dispersion generally acceptable?

2.) If so, could there be an OB variant using 2 15" selenium woofers, with the second in a .5 mode? (I'm wondering if the dipole configuration would alter the directivity around XO)

Thanks!
 
Yes, I have used 2406, 7, and 8 as well as 4540nd. I think of them more as VHF drivers; they can't be pushed low enough for service as general purpose compression drivers. In smaller two-ways with woofers that'll play nicely in the 2 - 3 kHz range, or three-way in combination with midbass drivers that reach there, fine. They require different HF comp than the Seleniums, but I've never worked that out passively.

That MRX PT waveguide is tempting; I may order up a pair.... :yes:

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/support/getfile.aspx?doctype=3&docid=596

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/MRX Series/MRX512M.pdf

To go 3-way the matching EWG part is the 363395-001 @ $11.50, it takes the 195H driver. This combo is found in the PRX535
 
Back
Top Bottom