• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

Throat adapters change things.

Your RTA will tell you what, and how much.... :yes:

I don't think the RTA display on the DEQ2496 has enough resolution to show small changes like a throat alteration would cause. I could always take the line out from the DEQ into a computer and use a RTA program with more resolution. Any recommendations for one that won't break the bank but is reasonably accurate?
 
Ewave V3.0

Here's the latest ad hoc lashup.

B&C DE10 driver
B&C ME10 waveguide
Altec Bolero woofer, cabinet and passive.

The XO to the DE10 is 2.2uf series, 1mh shunt and 12uf series.
I'm driving the Altec 406Z woofers with a separate amp. The LP is by a Rane AC22 active XO set to (about) 3600 hz initially.

It's clear that these don't have the dispersion of the PH612, but then they're 7 inches narrower.

This woofer is too wide to get good center-to-center spacing for this high a crossover point. Ultimately I'll try this WG nestled up close to a 5" - 6.5" midwoofer like (wait for it) The Kef B110. The plan is to make a 3-way with WG loaded top end.

Right now it sounds kinda midrange-y, like there's a significant lift in the presence region. I'm going to try a few dbs of EQ around 2K - 3K and see if that backs the vocals out of my face.

I may pit a mic on this tomorrow if I get any free time after installing a PA in a high school.

Weekend? What weekend?
attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Dsc00577.jpg
    Dsc00577.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 263
Order up a pair of the small 18-Sound ellipticals, since you're tryin' stuff.

Those worked nicely for me in AR4x.... :yes:
 
My eWave's are working...
It is really big sound surprise... Definitively new reference for me.
Guys, thanks a lot for this great project!
 
B&C DE10 driver/ME10 waveguide pic

Here's the response shown on my DEQ2496 using the 8000 measurement mic.
Distance is 1M.

The crossover is 2.4uf series, 1mh shunt and 12uf series. The compensation components are the standard Econowave values.

The response is within 5 dbs from 2K to 20K. The top end droop appears on every measurement I make. It may be a nonlinearity in the mic. I've looked for equalization files for this mic and found 4 totally different ones.

It has been pointed out that this waveguide gives up a lot of dispersion to the PH612 Pyle/JBL waveguide.

I think this on axis response looks pretty good, though. No significant issues. I think I would pick a crossover for the woofer of around 1800 hz to match this tweeter.

I have these sitting on top of the Boleros at the moment and they sound fine.

A note about the DE10 compression driver: The .250" connector tabs are located on very thin and flimsy plastic extensions of the diaphragm frame. They flex with just a light pressure. Enough pressure to slide the connector on will immediately break the tab off. Installing the male .250" connector on teh tab requires pushing on the back of the tab frame. Rather a significant drawback for a Pro driver.

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • DSC00588.jpg
    DSC00588.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
Too much fooling around with speakers lately. I get no time to listen to music. This week I have 4 large packages to ship to far ends of the Earth so I'll have less free time than usual.
I'm gonna knock off fooling around with horns, etc. and just enjoy playing some CDs for a while.

Unless maybe those JBL Control 1 Monitors come this week...
 
The Gettin' Place Pic #1

attachment.php

A Wiredbecker photo....
 

Attachments

  • The Gettin' Place #1a.jpg
    The Gettin' Place #1a.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 284
First, madprops to Zilch and the rest of the crew who have come together on this awesome project.

I've read a lot of the reference at the top of the thread, but not yet made it through the 451 other pages. Has anyone made a "dummies guide" primer on this yet?

What kind of speakers should I be looking for at garage sales that would be worthy of this treatment. Keep in mind my budget will dictate that this be done slowly, and there may not be a second version in my future.

Thanks again!!!

I'm still a ways from building my EWG, as I don't yet have a proper amp, etc.
 
I've read a lot of the reference at the top of the thread, but not yet made it through the 451 other pages. Has anyone made a "dummies guide" primer on this yet?
Most of what is needed to know is linked from the first post. I have promised to prepare a table of contents real soon now. ;)

What kind of speakers should I be looking for at garage sales that would be worthy of this treatment. Keep in mind my budget will dictate that this be done slowly, and there may not be a second version in my future.
Large Advents are a popular platform, New Large Advent Utilities being the "slam dunk." They'll set you back ~$20 at thrift stores and other common speaker scrounger haunts, the woofers typically requiring refoaming.... :thmbsp:
 
First, madprops to Zilch and the rest of the crew who have come together on this awesome project.

I've read a lot of the reference at the top of the thread, but not yet made it through the 451 other pages. Has anyone made a "dummies guide" primer on this yet?

What kind of speakers should I be looking for at garage sales that would be worthy of this treatment. Keep in mind my budget will dictate that this be done slowly, and there may not be a second version in my future.

Thanks again!!!

I'm still a ways from building my EWG, as I don't yet have a proper amp, etc.

Welcome to teh Ewave fun. Lots of vintage speakers work well for this but I'm partial to Advents. Here's a thread where I step through conversion of a pair of Original large Advent Utilities. The NLA Utilities are the same except for woofer position.
 
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I have a pair of ADC 303 AX. Does anyone have any idea if they would be good candidates for this?
 
Do they look like this?

b8_1.jpg


If so, there's plenty of room on that baffle for the waveguide. Dunno what the woofer will do though...
 
^^

Those look like Advent 5002s? I think. The ADCs to my ears are very "Advent like". I have this project on my list of things to do. It's a very long list, but I'd like to try it.
 
Back
Top Bottom