• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

It will smoke both of those. They will sound like you are listening through a pillow in comparison. This wouldnt even be close, not at all, a total massacre! Also, I think the LE14 drivers were the one's That were used with the 900 hz woofer crossover, check with Zilch or Jackgiff to be certain.

Russellc

What about the 'in room power response' that the AR is supposed to be so good at? Or, does it not really matter as much? I guess I'm wondering about the polar response of the high end. Do these sound best on-axis? Does the high end fall off when off-axis?
 
What about the 'in room power response' that the AR is supposed to be so good at? Or, does it not really matter as much? I guess I'm wondering about the polar response of the high end. Do these sound best on-axis? Does the high end fall off when off-axis?
The LE14's are capable of bass the AR3's only dream of. The ECW with the LE14's will leave the AR3's in another county. The off axis response is excellent.
 
I'm curious, as there's a pair of the Heath LE14s for sale locally, and reading this thread gets me thinking too much....
GO!!

LE14 is an uber-favorite woofer here, and Jackgiff designed a lowpass filter specifically for that driver, which is documented earlier in this thread, along with EconoWave performance measurements using it.... :thmbsp:

What about the 'in room power response' that the AR is supposed to be so good at? Or, does it not really matter as much? I guess I'm wondering about the polar response of the high end. Do these sound best on-axis? Does the high end fall off when off-axis?
They are constant directivity and will smoke any conventional design with respect to uniform power response. Here's EconoWave's horizontal polar response as measured in 7.5° increments by Earl Geddes.

Yes, THAT Earl Geddes.... :p:

Light blue is 30° off-axis. You can see the high end does not begin falling off appreciably until outside the 90° controlled dispersion window, as per the spec:

attachment.php

May we hear a "Holy CRAPOLA!" now, Packrat? :p:
 

Attachments

  • Geddes EconoWave.jpg
    Geddes EconoWave.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,560
It's also quite possible that people would very much prefer the sound of the other speakers mentioned. They would be arguably much less accurate, but I know many many people who wouldn't trade their sound for anything. Just one of those subjective things...
 
GO!!

LE14 is an uber-favorite woofer here, and Jackgiff designed a lowpass filter specific for that driver, which is documented earlier in this thread.... :thmbsp:

At least you aren't calling it a subwoofer anymore. :tongue:
 
At least you aren't calling it a subwoofer anymore. :tongue:
The ferrite versions make some of the best medium-power subwoofers available.

They also happen to play up to 1+ kHz rather nicely.... ;)

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11317

They are amazingly versatile drivers; JBL misapplied them in some vintage designs, where they got a bad rep for "muddy midrange." Yeah, they don't play real well at 2 kHz. DUH!

Alnico LE14As make delicious low-power subs. They just don't have the power handling and low distortion of the later ferrites with their improved motor structure....
 
Here is the corner speakers I will use with the EWG. I will cut in the horn just above the woofer, then port the cap, if needed, under the woof. Of course, I will build the EWG xover.
IMG_0948.jpg



Here is the horn/driver I am using on the Technics
Picture2.png


290-525m.jpg


270-312m.jpg
 
You guys sure know how to beat up on the Zilchster.... ;)


It's all in fun, Zilch. :D

For a cheap subwoofer, I like the AE speakers IB15 or better yet 4 of them (100.00 each) in an IB subwoofer. :) The Tempest-X from Exodus Audio has a massive excursion advantage and isn't much more than an LE14. The Original Adire Tempest on the used market should make a great low budget option. The Dayton "clone" of it is another great budget option. Lot's of inexpensive drivers will walk all over an LE14 in subwoofer duty. Not many play well up to 1khz, though. :)
 
PE waveguide with what driver, Denny? EWG crossover will work with Selenium D210/220 and the PT Waveguide, I wouldn't expect it to be transferable to another waveguide type. Nevermind the first question, I found the eminence ASD1001.

Nice looking cabinets, though. What is in them?
 
I know Zilch, but these are going into a dorm room and I just don't want to spend any $$$ on them. She does not listen very loud anyway. Tuition is killing me for three as it is. Cheers.
 
I know Zilch, but these are going into a dorm room and I just don't want to spend any $$$ on them. She does not listen very loud anyway. Tuition is killing me for three as it is. Cheers.
At least put a simple R||C compensation filter in series with them like Tom Brennan uses on his Altecs. Probably $10 for the pair, max.... :yes:
 
Yeah, you are right. I wonder, could I build the Ewaveguide xover out of low cost parts and make it work? Cheers.
 
Yeah, you are right. I wonder, could I build the Ewaveguide xover out of low cost parts and make it work? Cheers.
I believe we've got the E'wave filter costs fairly well minimized. In any case, as Dave points out, it's specific to the E'Wave driver/waveguide combination.

Try 6.2 uF in parallel with 8 Ohms, the combination in series with your compression driver, and see if that doesn't tame them considerably.... :yes:
 
Interesting.
I see the violet curve is the M19 curve. I just tweaked the bottom of my homemade copy and removed the L-pad and cut the inductance back to 3.0 uH on the woofer circuit and i sound a lot better. All the models Kegger and I looked at last night had way less than 5.4 uH of inductance for 1200 and gave around 850 hZ as the crossover point for 5.4. Maybe that's why they sounded lacking.

I'm going to try to whip a 95 dB+ 1200/3000 hZ crossover like Jack used later on tonight and see how that goes; everything seems to indicate it's a goodie!!
 
Back
Top Bottom