Does your Turntable stack records? Do you use this feature?

Does your Turntable stack records? Do you use this feature?

• Total voters
Hmmm... Two of my 'tables can run stacks, but I've never actually tried it. I used to stack as a kid all the time. Maybe I'll try it just for fun.

Hmmm... Two of my 'tables can run stacks, but I've never actually tried it. I used to stack as a kid all the time. Maybe I'll try it just for fun.

Find one of your favorite double or triple LP's(Woodstock comes to mind) and enjoy the pleasure of less ups and downs. :cool:

My Miracord 50H mkII is a great changer, when I'm working at the bench sometimes I'll put on a big stack of LP's and let 'er rip! I only stack older albums that are a little more beat up and I always clean them with the discwasher before I stack them on the spindle. I've got some double album sets that are meant to be stacked on a changer in order to play sequentially (sides 1 and 4 on the first album, sides 2 and 3 on the other). That's why it's nice to have two phono inputs on your preamp or receiver, one for the nice high end manual turntable and one for the good ol' everyday changer!
:music:

BTW - I really love the way the Miracord spindle lifts right out so its out of the way when you remove the stack of records from the platter. Great design IMO!

One of my turntables is a Dual 1249. I have used the stacker/changer function exactly one time - to make sure it worked after I did a complete refurb on the turntable. I then put the stacker spindle in a box, where it will almost certainly stay forever.

I've used both my Dual 1218 and 1219 to stack LPs on a number of occasions, though most of the 2LP sets I have don't lend themselves to changer stacking (one of the few which does is The Who - Tommy). I have yet to have any major stacking mishaps with either of them. Here is a picture of the Dual 1218 with a stack going:

dual1218_stack.jpg

I don't have the stacking spindle which goes with my 1019, which is just as well because those tended to fail over the time due to the use of rubber wedges on the ends of the umbrella 'arms' (the 12xx series changed the design, losing the wedges, which makes them more reliable over time) which deteriorate and fall off. Apparently, there is a way to fix them, as outlined here.

What I'd really like to find at some point is the large-hole stacking spindle which Dual sold for these changers, since I have a fair number of 45RPM singles, and stacking changers lend themselves much better to singles than full LPs. Apparently, the type number is AS-12; they seem to be fairly rare, for some weird reason. Hopefully, one will turn up at some point.
-Adam

Q. "Does your Turntable stack records? Do you use this feature?"
A. Yes, and yes. I've never owned anything but stackers and in over 40 years, my records have no audible or visible damage.

None of my tables have stacking capability--in fact, none of them are fully automatic either. Two are fully manual, and one is semi-auto having only lift and shut off at the end of the side (not even auto-return). The sheer idea of what the VTA and VTF are when you hit the top of a stack of 6 albums just sends chills down my spine. If I want long or continuous play, that is what R2R and digital is for.

Don't have an assistant. Too expensive.
Have to say that I am really surprised at how many use a stacker on an audiophile site. No offence intended. Every one has different priorities. I stop short of storing records with liners turned 90 degrees. When I check record condition in record stores, I pass on those with the arc scratches. I know what they sound like, for me. Maybe, depends on TT/stylus used.
For me, when I want that convenience, use the CD carousel.

Last edited:
I have many Garrard Type A tables and variants (and a RC88/4) with the unique pusher mechanism and cool angled spindle that make the stacked albums look like a flying saucer or the rings of Saturn - AWESOME!!!

I also have later Garrards that directly use a spindle mechanism (model 40 and model 50) to hold and drop the records. So all of these are record changers. From time to time I may stack a few albums. Also fun to stack 45s on the well-designed Garrard 45 changer spindle.

I have always found it fun to watch the old Garrards go through their cycle. I understand that certain factors, like tracking, vary with the number of records stacked and platter speed may or may not be influenced, but these have no audible effects that I can discern. Record wear is not an issue as I have so many albums that they don't really have a chance to degrade. Heck, you and I degrade. But at what rate? Not too quickly hopefully.

The only table that I own that is not a changer is my Sony Direct Drive PS-350 from the early '80s. It is fully automatic but not a record changer. Cheers and happy tracking!!!!!

I have many Garrard Type A tables and variants (and a RC88/4) with the unique pusher mechanism and cool angled spindle that make the stacked albums look like a flying saucer or the rings of Saturn - AWESOME!!!

I also have later Garrards that directly use a spindle mechanism (model 40 and model 50) to hold and drop the records. So all of these are record changers. From time to time I may stack a few albums. Also fun to stack 45s on the well-designed Garrard 45 changer spindle.

I have always found it fun to watch the old Garrards go through their cycle. I understand that certain factors, like tracking, vary with the number of records stacked and platter speed may or may not be influenced, but these have no audible effects that I can discern. Record wear is not an issue as I have so many albums that they don't really have a chance to degrade. Heck, you and I degrade. But at what rate? Not too quickly hopefully.

The only table that I own that is not a changer is my Sony Direct Drive PS-350 from the early '80s. It is fully automatic but not a record changer. Cheers and happy tracking!!!!!

Here are some of my Garrard Record Changers. You can also use the single play spindles if your not stacking that day. Of course the stacking spindles can be used for single play too. Top table is a Garrard A70 MK2, bottom left is a Garrard Type A, and bottom right is a Garrard Model 50. Can you tell I like Garrards - lol ????

20151024_081656 (2).jpg

I would like to have a stacker one day, but I can't decide on which one I want. I would love a stacker for 78's or 45's. Can you stack 78's or are they too brittle?
In my experience one should be able to safely stack SP (standard play aka: 78rpm) records. I have never had a problem playing SP records on a record changer. Record changers, like the one I use, were designed at a time when SP records were still being sold and used by many music lovers. i.e. They are designed to handle SP records. That being said, some SP records do become very brittle. Onetime, I picked up a record one-handed and it broke in my hand.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom