• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

JBL Century L100 Speakers

AdamITR

Well-Known Member
JBL Century L100 Speakers

Somewhat local ... JBL Century L100 Speakers, missing grills, and need tweeter foam, price is $400, is that fair?? Otherwise nice condition. Thx.
 
Register to hide this ad
New foam grills are about $165 for the pair. Tweeter foam is around $12 last I checked. so you'd be into them for $575 or so. If you like them it's not a bad price. If you get them don't be too aggressive getting the old tweeter foam off-the wires are underneath that adhesive and are very fine, better to leave some of the adhesive residue on there and put the new ones over the top.
 
JBL Century L100 Speakers

Somewhat local ... JBL Century L100 Speakers, missing grills, and need tweeter foam, price is $400, is that fair?? Otherwise nice condition. Thx.

Woofers, of course, do not have foam surrounds, so there is that advantage.

Are you buying them to keep them or to flip them?
The margin is a bit slim for flipping at that price ...
think I paid around $200 for the pair I got a few years back -
very clean except grill foam had rotted (and tweeter foam on baffle) ...

They are polarizing - I didn't particularly like them and sold mine.
But some folks love them to bits.
 
Offer $300 and don't judge them by what you hear when you get them. They will need a recap to sound like you remembered them. Worth it do it!
 
Offer $300 and don't judge them by what you hear when you get them. They will need a recap to sound like you remembered them. Worth it do it!

+1 the recap makes a huge difference IMO too.
Gills can be had in the $100 range add another $150 if you want the Quadrex foam.
 
Depends on overall condition, none of the original JBL foam grills survived all these years. Also original JBL tweeter foam same story, cheap enough to replace. Replacement cloth grills and inserts are less exspensive but not as attractive as the foam. If in very nice shape $400 isn't off base. Also those that weren't pleased with the sound were probably using inferior amplification and preamp.
 
"Also those that weren't pleased with the sound were probably using inferior amplification and preamp"

Not hardly.
 
These speakers are like vintage Ford Mustangs... They are fun and collectible. They ain't gettin' any cheaper, either. This price may be a tad high today, but it'll be a smoking deal in a few more years.
 
These speakers are like vintage Ford Mustangs... They are fun and collectible. They ain't gettin' any cheaper, either. This price may be a tad high today, but it'll be a smoking deal in a few more years.


I have a very nice '65 ragtop. Yes it is fun to drive for a while, short runs, but I wouldn't want any long road trips.
 
I have a very nice '65 ragtop. Yes it is fun to drive for a while, short runs, but I wouldn't want any long road trips.

I've heard the 100's are the same way. Fun for short musical runs, but fatiguing after long listens. I've be er owned any, so the talk I've read may be inaccurate.
 
$400 a pair used to be ebay prices.Given their recent increase in value I can see them as cl prices now but they had better be pretty damn clean.The rotted foam grills are a given for all these at this point in time.
 
Big run on these of late as well as the HPM 100s. I think the days of finding a pair for less than $300 are about over. Sure, you may just happen into a pair, but if you are actively looking they are hard to find for less in any condition.
 
I sent an email yesterday morning to a CL guy that listed some for $100. I got a reply back that evening saying his "highest bid" was $300, and he wanted to know if I could top that.
 
$300 seems cheap a year later I bet, unless they were total beaters. $1000+ on eBay looks like the going price right now. If all the drivers are good and the cabinets are serviceable I think $300 is a great deal. Calling these the 65 Mustang of speakers is a great analogy, they're both crude but fun American icons which sold like crazy when new are worth much more now than when they were new. And I love my pair BTW, warts and all.
 
I bought a pair last summer, in decent condition, for $100. Had grill replacement done in the eighties and upgraded tweeters from L110's I believe. Also bought L36's, in even better condition, for $65. Guy knew what they were. Just needed to make some room and didn't want to deal with shipping or ebay. Both pairs sound great, different than my ADS 880's, but I really like them. I've posted photos of them on here before.
 
How significant (if at all) is to find a pair with consecutive serial numbers?
The Yamaha NS1000's were made in pairs...are the JBL L100's made in that way?

Thanks
 
Back
Top Bottom