• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

1219 on the Bench..

Register to hide this ad
I recently picked one up on the auction site. It does not work, due to stiff lubricants. Cosmetically it is flawless. It has the base with the fold down front. Everything was in there but the 45 auto spindle, and I had one of those. It came with two cartridges and the holders. One of them is a Stanton 681EEE, the other is a Shure M44 that was never used (conical stylus). All for less than KAB's price on a new 681EEE. Looking forward to getting it working, as soon as I have some time and space to do so. :yes:

Yours looks to be in great shape, too! Nice job! :thmbsp:
 
Last edited:
How are the controls on yours? Does it cycle OK?

On mine, it would not cycle. It was way out of sync. I got it back in sync manually pretty much, but all of the controls stick. Motor runs OK.
 
Looks like my bench

I got this a while ago, finally fixing it...


1219_b by jleon92f, on Flickr

Just needed some minor cleaning..Sounds nice with the AT3600 cart!

Thanks,
John..:music::D

Got three of them, one in the shop system. Good rich sound. Got a much wanted Pioneer PL35. Unfortunitely, it doesnt sound as good as the Duals. Have fun with it!

Eric:music:
 
How are the controls on yours? Does it cycle OK?

On mine, it would not cycle. It was way out of sync. I got it back in sync manually pretty much, but all of the controls stick. Motor runs OK.

It works OK, a little sticky and tight, needs the cleaning, but cycles OK.:thmbsp:
 
Playing some Glen Miller lps. I am debating whether to service the motor or not?:scratch2:
 
Last edited:
NoTransistors has posted in the past about that. I would look up his past posts on how to do that without damaging the motor, and what oil to use. That's what I am going to do when I do mine.
 
NoTransistors has posted in the past about that. I would look up his past posts on how to do that without damaging the motor, and what oil to use. That's what I am going to do when I do mine.

I did the motor service on my other 1219 with NoTransisors help last time.

It is not hard at all.

John.:music::D
 
I'm getting ready to do this on my 1229. IMHO, 3-in-1 electrical motor oil is the way to go on lubricating older electrical motors. I rehabbed a 1009 last month that went from incredibly noisy to whisper quiet with just a cleaning and fresh oil inside the motor.
 
It looks like that table is in great cosmetic condition. I'm listening to my 1229 right now. :thmbsp:
 
I picked up a near mint 1219 last month. Loving it. It was a little stiff, but after playing it it loosen up very nice. Ran a little fast & a little rumble from the idler. Just had to adjust the motor pully and lightly sanded the edge of the idler whell. Runs like and sounds like a dream now.
 

Attachments

  • Dual1219.jpg
    Dual1219.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I picked up a near mint 1219 last month. Loving it. It was a little stiff, but after playing it it loosen up very nice. Ran a little fast & a little rumble from the idler. Just had to adjust the motor pully and lightly sanded the edge of the idler whell. Runs like and sounds like a dream now.

This one has been on a shelf here for over a year collecting dust. I blew off the dust and plugged it in, a couple of drops of oil here and there and it works as it did years ago. I have (2) other ones here and in storage.

Best TT ever!:thmbsp:
 
NoTransistors has posted in the past about that. I would look up his past posts on how to do that without damaging the motor, and what oil to use. That's what I am going to do when I do mine.

NoTransistors is honored.
And please do not use 3-In-One oil, as Sam has suggested.
 
I picked up a near mint 1219 last month. Loving it. It was a little stiff, but after playing it it loosen up very nice. Ran a little fast & a little rumble from the idler. Just had to adjust the motor pully and lightly sanded the edge of the idler whell. Runs like and sounds like a dream now.

Nice picture!
 
NoTransistors is honored.
And please do not use 3-In-One oil, as Sam has suggested.

Please read what I said. I did NOT say to use 3-in-1 oil, I said to use 3-in-1 MOTOR oil. It's made for electrical motors, and comes in a blue-trimmed container instead of black. It's SAE 20, not filled with detergents, additives and other crap that's useful in automotive engines where the oil is changed every few months.

This stuff: http://www.3inone.com/products/motor-oil/

Not this stuff: http://www.3inone.com/products/multi-purpose/
 
Last edited:
i see what you mean, but it still is a blend. We want nothing but plain oil, so as not to clog the porous scintered bronze bushings. Besides, how much is a quart of non-detergent engine oil? Three dollars at most [I am out of the loop on that, as my car is required to get Mobile-1 to maintain engine warranty]. Must be less than $3.00.
 
Finding non-detergent motor oil isn't all that easy these days.

According to the MSDS sheet (linked on the page I posted), the 3-in-1 motor oil is a 96% dewaxed petroleum distillate (i.e., oil), less than 2% naphtha (which is what I used to clean the old gunked-up grease off of mechanical linkages), and less than 4% of some sort of proprietary, non-hazardous chemicals. I don't think it's going to clog anything, in fact it seems like they went out of their way to make the stuff non-clogging. I've used it for years in all sorts of electrical motors without a hint of a problem.
 
Back
Top Bottom