• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

PL-518 on the bench...

Register to hide this ad
Nice looking TT you got there John. Looks like it has some real potential. Keep the thread going with pics of your work. Should be an interesting project. :scratch2:
 
Nice looking TT you got there John. Looks like it has some real potential. Keep the thread going with pics of your work. Should be an interesting project. :scratch2:

Thank you, I have to repair the feet also. Came with a M95ED cartridge.
Needs a stylus.

Thanks,
John.:music::D
 
Nice turntable, the Shure M 95ED cartridge is a very nice sounding bonus!:thmbsp:

Ordered a new stylus, should arrive next week.

PB Blastered the platter to get it off.

Coming along...wiring is good, no hums..

Thanks,
John.:music::D
 
Just to add my two cents' worth to this thread- The longest owned component in my setup is a PL-518. It was the first piece I ever bought used and have had it since 1984. I paid $50.00 for it at the time and was (and still is) in mint condition. I recently upgraded the cartridge to an Audio Technica TR 440 MLA and never had a problem with it. The two best audio buys for the dollar that I ever made were that and a Proton D940 receiver that I bought new for $298.00 in 1988.
 
I have my my late Dad's PL-518X that had a Empire/Pioneer CE-200 cartridge when he got new back in day. I unpacked it last year and I am just now installing a new stylus
in one of several head shells with old carts in them. Right I have the ADC XLM MK II Improved. It's been 20 years and now spining vinyl again:music:
Thanks for the pic's as in the last week several 518 TT owners are posting up
about how to lube bearing etc. I have the owners manual and all the orginal Pioneer paper work that came with it. It needs a new plastic dust cover, found a shop on Ebay but over $100.00 for reproduction new ones.:thumbsdn:
 
Last edited:
Same color as the one I had at one time. You have a better cartridge than I had for it. A very nice turntable if 45 and 33 are enough speeds for you.
 
Has anyone repaired the feet on these? I have the bottoms and (1) spring.

Thanks,
John.:music::D
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the confirmation.

I usually forget to clean up those areas.

Close it up as fast and as soon as I can!:D

I can relate to that but cleaning the strobe's lens can make a big difference. It's surprising how much dust and dirt finds its way in there.

John
 
Has anyone repaired the feet on these? I have the bottoms and (1) spring.

Thanks,
John.:music::D

I "repaired" the feet on my first PL-560. All I did was glue one end of the spring to the remains of the rubber under the screw that holds the foot to the base and then the other end to the rubber inside the foot itself. It looked fine as long as the table was resting on its feet but if you lifted it up the feet dangled at odd angles. Functionally it was fine.

I had all 4 springs though. I'm not sure where you'd find 3 similar ones. Maybe replacing them all with springs of the same height, diameter, wire gauge and number of coils...........

Good luck, John! I know you'll get this one running perfectly.

Meanwhile, there's a PL-518 at the local dump's resale area. The manager has his mitts on it and won't sell it. Meanwhile it just sits there collecting dust. Irritating.

John
 
I looked in the Grainger Catalog, they have all kinds of springs. Need to bring the one I have in for a match up.



PL-518. by jleon92f, on Flickr

Almost finished photo, taken with new camera.:scratch2:

Thanks,
John.:music::D
 
Back
Top Bottom