• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

30w Solder iron ok for wiring?

Amcrebelfan

Super Member
I have a loaned 30 watt solder iron. I am gonna be soldering my wharfedales putting in new caps, lpads, inductors and replacing the tweeters. Will this be powerful enough to solder with? Thanks for the info.
 
Register to hide this ad
30 watts is sufficient. However, the tip is critical. What kind of tip is on yours? Is the tip clean and in good shape? You should probably spring for a new tip to ensure success. Also, somewhere around here is an excellent link to successful soldering techniques. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Read through this:

http://www.curiousinventor.com/guides/How_To_Solder
 
Last edited:
Brand new actually hasn't been used, this guy is a bargain hunter and buys multiples when he gets a great deal. It is a pencil tip iron. Thanks for the link as I am a total newb when it comes to this.:yes:
 
You should be good to go, then. Watch the tutorial and practice, practice, practice before you put the heat to something that you care about. Try tinning some speaker cables first. If you decide you really like sniffing flux fumes, you will probably want to pony up for a better iron at some point.
 
Back
Top Bottom