• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

6P14P for 7189?

tubeampking

Chronic dabbler
Can I use the Russian 6P14P to sub for 7189 in a Fisher X202? Do they have the same pinout or is some change needed?
 
Register to hide this ad
Isn't the 7189 an up-rated 6BQ5? I think you'd need the 6P14P-EV (6П14П-ЕВ). Take a look at the Sovtek EL84M. That's the ticket in current production. Other than the voltage ratings, the tubes are equivalent. If your circuit calls for 7189, you need to use a tube with the same or better ratings, which rules out garden-variety EL84/6BQ5/6П14П.
 
What they said, the -EV or the EL84M will do the trick. I've run both in my Fisher 600, which wants 7189 tubes.
 
Can I use the Russian 6P14P to sub for 7189 in a Fisher X202? Do they have the same pinout or is some change needed?
i used this tube Sovtek EL84M in my knight ka 40 witch calls for 7189 they sound and preform very well the pin out problem is with the 7189-a as long as your amp calls for 7189 you will be ok
 
Can I use the Russian 6P14P to sub for 7189 in a Fisher X202? Do they have the same pinout or is some change needed?

I have run the 6p14p in my amps with no problems at a little less than 400 Av with no problems. But not for long term as I am always switching my amps out. The EV version has better specs but is more expensive. Still it is cheaper than a vintage 7189.
Pin out is not a problem and more useful since pin 1 (IIRC) is not connected allowing a good tie point for the grid input resistor. regards, primo
 
I've been using straight 6p14p's in place of 7189's in my Scott LK48B for a long time now. They've lasted very well and sound great.
 
I've got a quad of 6p14p's in my TA-600 for 2 years now with out problems. Also havea quad of EV's in my 481A. Gonna have to check out the sovtek EL-84M's too.

6p14p's equate to EL-84/6BQ5 with a plate voltage of 300 or so V.
6p14p-EV equate to the 7189 with a plate voltage of 400V.
I've not had any problems using el84/6BQ5's in amps with plate voltages up to 400v, even tho the specs for them calls for a max voltage of 300v.
 
I honestly have sort of wondered if there is truly any difference between a 6bq5 and a 7189 internally. Maybe the 7189's are just premium screened or something, but it does seem that 6bq5 tubes will withstand a fair bit beyond official ratings without dying.
 
It seems odd, but I'm the RC-30 OT shows that in class A circuit an EL34 can handle more voltage, but in PP the 7189 does?
 
Is that max ratings, or typical operation? I don't have one in front of me, but usually there is one section for max ratings, then it goes into different modes of operation with typical values for each. The typical operation values are usually a fair bit lower than the max ratings.
 
well, lesse what the 27 has to say, since its the newest one I have

6bq5
max ratings class A1
plate: 300
screen: 300
cathode: 65 ma
pdiss: 12w

Typical operation class A1
plate: 250v
screen: 250v
grid #1: -7.3v
plate current: 48ma
screen current: 5.5 ma

AB1 push-pull, max ratings same as A1.



7189
No max ratings provided for A1

typical operation class A1
plate: 250v
screen 250v
grid #1: -7.3v
plate current: 48 ma
screen current: 5.5 ma

AB1 push-pull max ratings
plate: 400v
screen 300v
cathode: 65ma
pdiss 12w



I think its a matter of the 7189 not listing max values for A1, where the 6bq5/EL84 does. Looks like typical operation data for that mode is identical, so I guess its not a stretch to believe that they have at least equal max ratings. Quite possible you can run a 7189 harder since its rated for an extra 100v on the plate in push-pull mode. I still half wonder if they aren't really the same tube, just one with more conservative ratings than the other. It is one tough bugger in most applications that run it to datasheet values, so its entirely possible that "datasheet max" is really well below what it will really handle.
 
RCA RC-29 - 1975

7189 Specs
Maximum Ratings (Design Center Values)
Pentode
Plate Voltage ................................. 400 V
Grid No. 2 Voltage ............................ 300 V
Plate Dissipation ............................. 12 W
Grid No. 2 Dissipation ........................ 4 W

Characteristics and Typical Operation
Class A Amplifier
Plate Voltage ................................. 250 V
Grid No. 2 Voltage ............................ 250 V
Grid No. 1 Voltage ............................ -7.3 V
Plate Resistance (approx) ..................... 40K Ω
Transconductance .............................. 11.3K µMho
Plate Current ................................. 48 mA
Grid No. 2 Current ............................ 5.5 mA

Push Pull Class AB1 Amplifier
Plate Voltage ................................. 400 V
Grid No. 2 Voltage ............................ 300 V
Grid No. 1 Voltage ............................ -15 V
Peak Grid No. 1 Voltage........................ 21 V
Plate Current (Zero Signal) ................... 15 mA
Plate Current (Maximum Signal) ................ 105 mA
Grid No. 2 Current (Zero Signal) .............. 1.6 mA
Grid No. 2 Current (Maximum Signal) ........... 25 mA
Load Resistance ............................... 8K Ω
Power Output (approx) ......................... 24 W
 
I have a Scott amp that is loaded with 6P14P's. I would like to test them as well as some others so I borrowed a tube tester from a friend. Problem is the manual does not show this tube type? Any suggestions?
 
Back
Top Bottom