• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ADS models, an impromptu rollcall

ads L990

There was a local to me pair of L990's in Houston on Ebay which ended yesterday. If I had not acquired the 1090's I'd probably gone for it. http://cgi.ebay.com/A-D-S-990L-Pair-Loudspeakers-No-Reserve-/130474383624?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item1e60e11908 Was $138 bucks a deal?

Wouldn't have been a bad deal.....For less than $250 total investment, a very capable speaker that is easy to listen to....just needs a lot of power to come alive. I lucked out and got my pair for $80 from a local thrift. I am waiting on the right pair of L810 to stumble my way and see which pair I like better. I will never sell my 700s. They are just too good in a small room.
 
I'm not sure about the 2nd version of the 1090 but the 1st version has a switch on the bottom (behind the fuse cover) to change tweeter attenuation. Mine sound better balanced with the tweeter set on the lower setting.

Thanks for the info., I would have never found that out because it's pretty well hidden. Though I'm not sure if this is the version II of the 1090's I do not see /2 on the model identification.
 
Wouldn't have been a bad deal.....For less than $250 total investment, a very capable speaker that is easy to listen to....just needs a lot of power to come alive. I lucked out and got my pair for $80 from a local thrift. I am waiting on the right pair of L810 to stumble my way and see which pair I like better. I will never sell my 700s. They are just too good in a small room.

Unbelievable! $80! Please post pics. Someone was selling a pair of L710's for $200, I didn't pick it up because I thought it sounded muddled and dull. It may have been his source and amplification.
 
Thanks for the info., I would have never found that out because it's pretty well hidden. Though I'm not sure if this is the version II of the 1090's I do not see /2 on the model identification.

It must be a version 1 then because the 2 is clearly marked L1090/2. Try the different settings but in my system the low setting is best.
 
After listening to the 1090's for a week, I find the midrange and vocals on the Vandersteens better. Additionally, the Vandersteen's have a much wider soundstage. Overall the 1090's are good all arounder speakers, but the Vandersteen's vocals are hard to beat. So I guess the Vandersteens are staying.
 
Hi xxxhanxx,
do you have any plans on upgrading the inards of your 1090s? I've had a look inside my 990s and I believe they can be improved on a bit.

Stan
 
Hi xxxhanxx,
do you have any plans on upgrading the inards of your 1090s? I've had a look inside my 990s and I believe they can be improved on a bit.
Stan
Was planning on refinishing the cabinets, but not on the components. However, I'm open to experimenting. Please send any information on how to DIY my way. Thanks!
 
Some new additions and pictures of S600, S700, SAT 7, and 1090s..

IMG_8032.jpg
 
Last edited:
Some new additions and pictures of S600, S700, SAT 7, and 1090s..

IMG_8032.jpg
Very nice collection you have started. :thmbsp: The tweets in the S700's are supposed to be one of the best ADS ever used. But you like the S600's better?

The ones on top of the 1090's are the SAT 7's.
 
Duff- I wouldn't say that the S600's highs sound better than the S700s., as both are very good and I cannot discern which is better perhaps because of my untrained hearing. It's clear that the L1090's highs are brighter, grainier, and aren't as sweet sounding compared to the SATS. I do however find that the S700's mids to be a little bit recessed, laid back, and perhaps lacking relative to the others. IMO the SAT 7s sounded best, because it makes up for the S700's midrange defeciency and the lack of lower bass extension of the S600s while possessing similar highs of both.
I also found out that while using the S600s as computer speakers, they make great nearfield monitors...

MCP1 - Those are the SAT 7s..
 
Last edited:
Talk about family values!

Nice collection!!!!!!

Does anyone know what the driver part numbers for the S600/S700?? The only part i'm aware of is the tweeter in the S700 is the 206-0128.

The parts list on sportsbill is dated 1992 so the S600/S700 aren't in the parts list.

Soundmotor said in a different thread that the crossovers were different as well. Were they modded from earlier A/D/S two way crossovers? If yes, what was changed?
 
Bhebbel-TY. I couldn't tell you the part numbers but the woofers of the S700's appear identical to the SAT 7s. I declined on an exc. pair of1590s that someone had offered deal on awhile back. Are they that legendary or are there better a/d/s choices?
 
I hate to break up this late a/d/s bookshelf lovefest, but the SAT and S models from a/d/s while good speakers are nowhere near the status of the xx90 models from the mid-late 80s. And yes xxhanhxx you should have taken the L1590s assuming it was a good deal. I am not even sure where the rumors of the later bookshelves having the "best tweeters a/d/s ever made" even come from. I have owned both the SAT7 and the S700 speakers, after having briefly owned early model a/d/s 420s, and thought I would be getting the same terrific sound in a later model more compact monitor, but I was wrong. The SAT models especially have a slightly harsh high, but worse they have a serious lack of midrange in their two way configuration. I can see how this would lead some folks to say this speaker has a sweeter high or a better tweeter, but it would be far more accurate to say that the highs in these bookshelves are overemphasized due to the extreme lack of midrange balance. These are still good bookshelves but the earlier bulkier a/d/s floorstanders and especially the xx90 towers from the company were some of the best speakers ever produced. After my disappointment with the SATs I left a/d/s for awhile and tried other models. As luck would have it, about a year later I stumbled upon a pair of L1290/2's in a pawn shop, and remembering the rave reviews these had received from speaker enthusiasts I decided to give them a try. BOY am I glad I did. These speakers are some of the best, full sounding, musical, most accurate speakers I have ever heard, especially running 250w class A power into them. Somewhere between these and the later bookshelves everyone is raving about on here, a/d/s lost their way-- but I can guarantee you that you are listening to the wrong a/d/s speakers.
 
Hi,
that's good to hear, sb01. As my 990s are very promising indeed and awaiting to be upgraded with better caps. Their just on the back burner for now, but I'll keep you all updated.

Stan
 
I hate to break up this late a/d/s bookshelf lovefest, but the SAT and S models from a/d/s while good speakers are nowhere near the status of the xx90 models from the mid-late 80s. And yes xxhanhxx you should have taken the L1590s assuming it was a good deal. I am not even sure where the rumors of the later bookshelves having the "best tweeters a/d/s ever made" even come from. I have owned both the SAT7 and the S700 speakers, after having briefly owned early model a/d/s 420s, and thought I would be getting the same terrific sound in a later model more compact monitor, but I was wrong. The SAT models especially have a slightly harsh high, but worse they have a serious lack of midrange in their two way configuration. I can see how this would lead some folks to say this speaker has a sweeter high or a better tweeter, but it would be far more accurate to say that the highs in these bookshelves are overemphasized due to the extreme lack of midrange balance. These are still good bookshelves but the earlier bulkier a/d/s floorstanders and especially the xx90 towers from the company were some of the best speakers ever produced. After my disappointment with the SATs I left a/d/s for awhile and tried other models. As luck would have it, about a year later I stumbled upon a pair of L1290/2's in a pawn shop, and remembering the rave reviews these had received from speaker enthusiasts I decided to give them a try. BOY am I glad I did. These speakers are some of the best, full sounding, musical, most accurate speakers I have ever heard, especially running 250w class A power into them. Somewhere between these and the later bookshelves everyone is raving about on here, a/d/s lost their way-- but I can guarantee you that you are listening to the wrong a/d/s speakers.

ditto...

Well said.
 
Sorry, but you are comparing apples and oranges. The 1290/1590/1230/1530 are in a completely different class in terms of efficiency, room presence, maximum output etc. compared to these relatively small bookshelf speakers.

You would absolutely have to have a subwoofer running with those smaller bookshelf models to even get them in the neighborhood of leveling the playing field. The same is true of their older bookshelf models and these newer ones you were comparing; they are way too dissimilar in size and other attributes to make a meaningful comparison with the floorstanding monsters.

As to the tweeter, I personally prefer the earlier ones including the 206-0100, 206-0107, 206-0117 etc. I would not however categorize ANY of these tweeters at any point in ADS (aDs, ADS, a/d/s/) history as being harsh. In fact, I find the later ones made from Kodak material polymer domes to be the most laid-back of the bunch, almost "European" in character with a hint of top-end roll-off and less output off-axis (the latter was an issue with the later car speaker models prior to ADST being sold in 2001).

The earlier tweeters to me have more sparkle and air than the polymer domes but again I wouldn't say the later ones are harsher. Perhaps you are overdriving them or clipping your source in an effort to make up for the average or below average efficiency and lower displacement of the bookshelf models vs. the higher efficiency/higher displacement floor-standing models.

Just my $.02 but this doesn't seem like a reasonable A/B scenario.

John

P.S. For reference, I own and listen to the following regularly: L1230, L1290/2, L710, L400, c400is, HT300, HT400LCR, HT800 (proto mini-towers), 346cs car components. That encompasses four different eras of ADS or a/d/s/ tweeters: earlier textile dome (sticky), later textile dome (not sticky), polymer domes, and very late textile domes (car). I've owned (and still own) more models including but these are the ones I am exposed to frequently.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom