• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ADS Speakers

MJWPicMan

MJWPicMan
For all you ADS fans, and they did make a pretty sweet sounding speaker, here you go. ADS models 570, L400, L780, L810, L1090, and L1230 just went up on the Los Angeles Craigslist, all from the same person. Get em while they're hot.
 
Register to hide this ad
No steals here, but very fair prices!

ADS L400 $125 Black, excellent condition
ADS L780 $150 Balck, excellent condition
ADS L810 $300 Excellent condition, first edition, walnut finish,
ADS L1230 $600 Excellent, recap, new grill.
The ad for those is here.

It doesn't seem to me that the L1090's are from the same seller and IMHO are the bargain of the bunch.

Dave
 
Laz (sancho22) knows ADS speakers and speaks the truth! He is, in fact, giving you insider information. Were they anywhere near this coast, you would have already lost them to him.

Dave
 
I'd grab those 810's very quickly. if theyre mint thats a solid price. And one hell of a great speaker. Can you tell that I love A/D/S
 
Those L1090's look great. I have never heard any home audio ads speakers personally, but from what others say they are very nice.
 
Thanks Dave for the nice words. I own several ADS models including the 570 and 780.
I have 1290 as well but read on AK (multiple times) that the 1090 has less cabinet resonnce and is the sweet spot of that line. The 1230 was praised very highly by many - I have a pair of 1530 (same shape concept just bigger) which were used as monitors at Telarc (I was told - the 1530 in general not my pair). I also have 980 - all great speakers. I love the sound, the balance and the fact that they all have rubber surrounds.
The prices are not bargains (except the 810) but the bigger ones are a bit rare and will reward with tubes or SS and do not need a lot of wattage (example: the 1530 has a 95db/1w sensitivity). I think most ADS i in the 88-93 range.
I also have to admit that ADS is not knwon for the heavy bottom - it is rather tight and well defined "quality" bass - good enough to say the least for me. They paly any type of music well except if your goal is to scare the neighbours...
 
For all you ADS fans, and they did make a pretty sweet sounding speaker, here you go. ADS models 570, L400, L780, L810, L1090, and L1230 just went up on the Los Angeles Craigslist, all from the same person. Get em while they're hot.

I don't know about the prices, I just put his ad up because people seem to love ADS speakers. BTY, he is the seller for the 1090s also. I had never heard them before, and went to audition them because I knew the 1230s were rare. The dome tweeters are nice. Sweet and clean without being harsh, but I've never been a fan of metal tweeters. But the mids were carrying most of the load and the bass was muddy and a little boomy. Vocals were thin, they didn't have any "chest" to them, and the soundstage was pretty vauge. Compared to my Vandersteen 2Ce Signatures, which I bought for $600, the 1230s were inferior in every aspect, but they were markedly better than the 1090s.
 
^ Well, I think the Vandersteen 2Ce signatures are in a different league. I think you got a very good price on yours. If I had my choice between the ADS L1230 and the CE Sigs, there'd be no contest. The signatures are reputed to be a notable improvement over the standard 2Ce, aren't they? Would you say worth $200 more?
 
I agree that the 1090 would be a great choice.

I wouldn't go for the 1230. I have had them in my home for a few days and though they sounded awesome, they are way too big. I have heard smaller speakers sound just as good. And they didn't provide impressive bass for all that size either. (The bass measured as very flat, which is commendable. But very few hifi nuts actually like flat FR in the bass region.) However, they are superbly built and certainly something to admire in person.

I believe I sold the immaculate pair I had for around $600 (that was 5 years ago).
 
^ Well, I think the Vandersteen 2Ce signatures are in a different league. I think you got a very good price on yours. If I had my choice between the ADS L1230 and the CE Sigs, there'd be no contest. The signatures are reputed to be a notable improvement over the standard 2Ce, aren't they? Would you say worth $200 more?

Were the electronics used with the ADS comparable what you use with the Vandy?

Yes I agree myu, the 2Ce Signatures are in a different league, and are 25 years newer, but sell for not that much more money. I've had 2Cs, which are from 1980 and can be bought now for appx. $300/pr, and the're better in every aspect than the 1230s. There's a pair of 2Cis on Audiogon right now for $450, and in a side by side they would shellac the 1230s.
And yes the Signature is a marked improvement on the 2Ce, a pair of which I sold to buy my Signatures. More spatial, better transparancy and imaging, faster bass, and the Sigs are a remarkably open speaker. I don't know about $200 more, but money's kind of relative. If you're dead broke a C note is a small fortune, but if you've got it and can spend it yes they are.

As for the electronics no Sancho his equipment was not the quailty of mine. He was using a Yamaha silver plated reciever and a Denon SACD player. And quality speaker wire, which helps. While neither of those components are TOTL they're not that bad. I'm pretty sure it's the speakers faults that I was hearing.
Maybe it was my fault because the ADSs didn't meet my expectatioins, which, having never heard them, I shouldn't have had. According to Audiogon's BlueBook the 1230s were from 1978, and I can understand where if you heard them then you might have thought they were a wonderful speaker. Maybe I'm spoiled, but I don't think they're very good, at least not $600 good. I'd rather have a pair of DCM Time Windows, which can be had for half that price if you look, and are a pretty good speaker.
 
Last edited:
I do own a pair of Vandy 2c and sold my TF 700...as we like to say YMMV.
This makes this hobby fun!
Room/component synergy/quality of the played material/room and finally personal preference all make a diffrence.
 
I do own a pair of Vandy 2c and sold my TF 700...as we like to say YMMV.
This makes this hobby fun!
Indeed! I sold my DQ-30's, TW'3 and L1090/2's and bought Sancho's TF-700's. In my room and with my upstream components, they work quite well. Actually far better, to my ear, than any of the others. I still have Braun/ADS L700A's and Dynaco A25's (also thanks to Sancho) in my office as well as KG-4's and KHL 17's. Right now, I am happy. Tomorrow? Who knows. I was fortunate enough to get a CX center and and pair of TimePiece's to completment the TF-700's. Yes, I am still running a mere 5.1 system for HT. Don't get me wrong, I really loved the L1090's. They were an eye-opening experience, much like the DQ-30's. But, much like the Dahlquist's, I eventually grew tired of them and wanted something else. For the moment, I am happy. I can, however, truly say that the L1090's were among the most pleasant loudspeakers I have ever heard.

Dave

Dave
 
And yes the Signature is a marked improvement on the 2Ce, a pair of which I sold to buy my Signatures. More spatial, better transparancy and imaging, faster bass, and the Sigs are a remarkably open speaker. I don't know about $200 more, but money's kind of relative. If you're dead broke a C note is a small fortune, but if you've got it and can spend it yes they are.
Thanks, MJW. Didn't mean to hijack the thread... but at least it's a comparison to the speakers in question. :) I've had my eye on the plain 2CE's for some time but will see on holding out for the 2CE signatures. I'm finding it worth breaking the audio budget, despite widening the time in between purchases, if the item bought is a noticeable step up in quality than cheaper candidates.
 
You will likely not be sorry the 2CE Signiture is a fine speaker. Just make sure you listen with components you will use.
 
Back
Top Bottom