• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Any worthy 70s Marantz Speakers?

audiobeer

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Is there any early 70s Marantz speakers that are known to be good? I don't see much about these?
 
Register to hide this ad
Imperial 6's, 8, s and 9's. Later 70's would be HD77's and 88's. I heard some 5's once, not bad for a small speaker.
 
I've had the 6's and 9's. The Imperial 6 speakers are decent, but to me they aren't anything special. The 9's sound really nice, but I think they are harder to find. I can't speak on the later 70's and 80's speakers as I've never owned any.
 
I use my HD77's everyday in my shop and I really like them. They don't cause listening fatigue after hours of use. I rebuilt the cross-overs when I got them, I had the woofers re-coned and added some fill to the cabinets.

All of this seemed to improve their sound, I think the cabinet fill did the most for the sound.

As a comparison, I also have a pair of Pioneer HPM100's which are my go to speakers for loud, in-home rock concerts :D. They tend to cause listening fatigue after several hours of use.
 
Back
Top Bottom